The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Best Procrastination Tip Ever

Anything related to matters of the mind

Bruce

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Feb 1, 2012
Canada
Your first thought as you look at this article will be, “I’ll read this later.â€

But don’t. Let the urge to switch to a new task pass. Read this now.

It’ll take you two minutes. It’ll save you countless hours.

I’ve written the book on ending procrastination, but I’ve since come up with a very simple technique for beating everyone’s favorite nemesis. It is incredibly easy, but as with anything, it takes a little practice.

Try it now:
Identify the most important thing you have to do today.

Decide to do just the first little part of it — just the first minute, or even 30 seconds of it. Getting started is the only thing in the world that matters.
Clear away distractions. Turn everything off. Close all programs. There should just be you, and your task.
Sit there, and focus on getting started. Not doing the whole task, just starting.
Pay attention to your mind, as it starts to have urges to switch to another task. You will have urges to check email or Facebook or Twitter or your favorite website. You will want to play a game or make a call or do another task. Notice these urges.
But don’t move. Notice the urges, but sit still, and let them pass. Urges build up in intensity, then pass, like a wave. Let each one pass.
Notice also your mind trying to justify not doing the task. Also let these self-rationalizing thoughts pass.

Now just take one small action to get started. As tiny a step as possible.

Get started, and the rest will flow.

From Best Procrastination Tip Ever : zenhabits

Best tip I've ever read regarding Procrastination. Honestly it works!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

rorschach

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Aug 28, 2011
Belgium
I have a timer on my desktop that I use to block off periods of working time. I sit down and start the timer -- 45 minutes -- and start working. There's something about starting that timer that makes you more focused. You know in 45 minutes you get to take a break and you'll be able to watch fluffy cats dance around on the internet.

I've found that my optimal rhythm is 45 -15 - 45 - 30.
45 minutes of work.
15 minute break.
45 minutes of work.
30 minute break.
Start all over again.

Ultimately it's about what works for you. You need to do a lot of experimenting.

AbbottMary

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Mar 19, 2013
Ive been battling procrastination HARD recently. What helps me is my audio copy of the war of art by steven pressfield. It is written with a very "put up or shut up" mentality, it clears me from all the BS that holds me back.

Bruce

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Feb 1, 2012
Canada
Thanks for the recommendation AbbottMary, the book sounds great with all the 500 reviews its got.

I'm currently reading Eat That Frog! by Brian Tracy, half way done and it's had quite an impact on my productivity already.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

onlyup

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 8, 2011
I have a timer on my desktop that I use to block off periods of working time. I sit down and start the timer -- 45 minutes -- and start working. There's something about starting that timer that makes you more focused. You know in 45 minutes you get to take a break and you'll be able to watch fluffy cats dance around on the internet.

I've found that my optimal rhythm is 45 -15 - 45 - 30.
45 minutes of work.
15 minute break.
45 minutes of work.
30 minute break.
Start all over again.

Ultimately it's about what works for you. You need to do a lot of experimenting.

This makes a lot of sense. some of my best workouts are when I'm trying to squeeze them in because I only have a certain amount of time to have them (i.e. 30 min)

I'm more focused, knowing i HAVE to get a certain number of sets in for it to be considered a workout, so i go HAM for that time.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.