The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Barcodes!

Talluer

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 3, 2012
Hi guys! I don't post much here but read a fair bit. I had a strange question and thought that this might be the place to find my answer. So here it is..

I was looking into developing a mobile and web based application that uses bar codes to gather and catalog information. I've got a cool app on my iPhone that scans food label bar codes, it then displays and logs the info in a "daily nutrition" type chart. Helps with tracking calories, macro-nutrients and such. Super easy and very comprehensive, I really like it.

What I can't quite figure out is how they got access to all these bar codes? I have not been able to stump the app as of yet, it has everything! Is there some central registry where you can pull bar code information from? I did some reading on GS1 and what they offer bar code wise but what I need is a little different.

I want to do exactly what the nutrition app does but for another industry, user scans the bar code in store and the product comes up on their phone. I'm thinking about emailing the people that made that app. This is probably pretty simple but i've never heard it discussed before. I could approach retailers one by one, sell them on the idea and gain access to their bar code database but that sounds really slow.

I hope I explained my problem thoroughly. What do you guys think?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

jilla82

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Jun 4, 2012
Chicago
There are plenty of barcode apps that can scan everything.
A barcode is just numbers.

miked_d

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Dec 25, 2008
Los Angeles
Quick guess is that you sign up and they give you API access. Then you app goes out on the web to their server and looks up the UPC code.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.