The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Ask me anything about eCommerce (2012)

Chazmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
May 23, 2013
USA
Bio,

I'm doing my legwork trying to find a good product to source from China. Well, I found something - and I see it being sold successfully on ebay and amazon, as well as ecommerce sites with addresses here in the States.

The problem is that it apparently doesn't meet EPA certifications and it seems I can't import it. So how are all these other people getting it? Just by looking at their price points I know they must be importing otherwise there would be no profit. Any ideas on something like that?

Warrior

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
May 28, 2012
Hey biophase!

My site is www.wallswithart.com I was driving traffic to this site using Google Shopping and Google adwords, there were 0 conversions.

Now I'm thinking of retargeting it from US traffic to SE Asia traffic and instead contact forums for banner ads instead. What do you think of this change in strategy?

Y.B.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Feb 7, 2014
I was hoping to avoid reading 30 pages of posts...but can someone help point out the sites that biophase runs if that's not confidential

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Genester

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Jun 23, 2013
You want to avoid reading the 30 pages of valuable quality info in this thread? And just want to know what sites bio is currently running?

First off, why would he ever share his sites with anyone? He's worked his a$$ off to get them to where they are today.

Secondly, don't be lazy and actually read the stuff bio has posted. It's FREE!!

Y.B.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Feb 7, 2014
I didn't mean it to come off that way. I just wanted to know who I was taking advice from.

Berserker

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Feb 26, 2014
UK
Fantastic thread. Just read it through on the advice from another member - glad I did. Thanks to everyone who has posted questions and answers, and especially Bio for starting the thread, and for still responding a few years after it started!

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Hey Bio,

Are you using any of the BigCommerce apps on your sites? If so, which do you recommend?

I'm using unlimited upsell and webgility (not really an app). I haven't really gone through them all.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Bio,

I'm doing my legwork trying to find a good product to source from China. Well, I found something - and I see it being sold successfully on ebay and amazon, as well as ecommerce sites with addresses here in the States.

The problem is that it apparently doesn't meet EPA certifications and it seems I can't import it. So how are all these other people getting it? Just by looking at their price points I know they must be importing otherwise there would be no profit. Any ideas on something like that?

You can't import it because customs will block it? What EPA certifications doesn't it meet? Does it pollute the air?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Hey biophase!

My site is www.wallswithart.com I was driving traffic to this site using Google Shopping and Google adwords, there were 0 conversions.

Now I'm thinking of retargeting it from US traffic to SE Asia traffic and instead contact forums for banner ads instead. What do you think of this change in strategy?

I don't understand your new strategy. You want to target customers in SE Asia vs. the USA? If you get traffic and no sales, your site is not converting. Getting different traffic won't help any, assuming the traffic is all targeted the same.

I looked at your site and could not find an address. Where are you located? I'm sure potential customers would want to know that too. How do I know where to ship my art if I want to return it?

Knowledge Kick

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jan 16, 2009
New Jersey
Bio,

I'm wondering if you use Amazon Web Services at all.

If not, any particular reason? If so, do you have any favorite features to use?

I've been playing with it and it seems awesome, but there's A LOT to digest. This is probably a good thing (lots of features and tools) but it can seem overwhelming sometimes.

Any opinion?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Bio,

I'm wondering if you use Amazon Web Services at all.

If not, any particular reason? If so, do you have any favorite features to use?

I've been playing with it and it seems awesome, but there's A LOT to digest. This is probably a good thing (lots of features and tools) but it can seem overwhelming sometimes.

Any opinion?

I don't use them. AWS has so many services, what service do you think I'd need in particular?

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013
Apart from our different views on my branding for the watch I am selling.

What do you think should be my #1 source of getting new customers, other then PPC ?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Apart from our different views on my branding for the watch I am selling.

What do you think should be my #1 source of getting new customers, other then PPC ?

This is hard to answer because it's different for each market. I don't know the watch market you are in, but I'd think that it's more of a visual purchase than a features purchase, so I'd say Pinterest, Facebook Ads, Instagram?

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013
This is hard to answer because it's different for each market. I don't know the watch market you are in, but I'd think that it's more of a visual purchase than a features purchase, so I'd say Pinterest, Facebook Ads, Instagram?

Thanks, that's exactly where my new focus has been. (Since yesterday! Lol) Going to keep at it though.

Also I was thinking for now just watches but, after I build a following and most customers - I basically see the following/customers as building a 'list' - and so I can add products to my line down the road and this list will be comfortable with buying from me since they already have and generate even more $ - Is this a correct line of thought?

ck4750

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Feb 17, 2014
Missouri
Bio, thanks a ton for the knowledge bomb!

One quick question... Further back in the thread you said learning SEO is crucial in Ecommerce, and just recently you said you don't do it anymore.

For someone just starting in ecommerce would you still recommend they learn SEO or do you think PPC/FB Ads/brand building is a better way to go?

DrkSide

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Mar 26, 2013
For someone just starting in ecommerce would you still recommend they learn SEO or do you think PPC/FB Ads/brand building is a better way to go?
If you are just starting out I would definitely go with advertising on google and facebook. Don't neglect SEO completely but you aren't going to drive 5k people to your website on the first day with SEO while you can do that with PPC.

I am doing the currently with my store and I have had good luck getting traffic (not so much on conversions). With SEO I would have had to build content and optimize it then sit back and wait while with PPC I can get in front of people by the thousands very quickly.

Chazmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
May 23, 2013
USA
You can't import it because customs will block it? What EPA certifications doesn't it meet? Does it pollute the air?

It's a product with a gas powered engine - but I actually did find a supplier with EPA certs after much digging around. I invested in a small shipment which I recieved last week and threw the item up on Craigslist just to see if I'd get a response. Well, I'm getting a hell of a response and have already sold 25% of my stock in the first week.

I originally planned on Ebay as a test, but shipping quotes from UPS and FEDEX both were about double what I see another seller shipping them for (on Ebay and another is the #1 ranked google search result website).

I couldn't get a real answer from the girl at UPS as to how other sellers are shipping for half price, although I imagine it must be a volume discount. So, I decided to sell locally and although profitable already, I doubt I'll re-order this product unless I can figure out competitive shipping to make it a web based business.

Still feels good though to have picked a product that resonates with people and turn some profit. Definitely a learning experience as far as locating suppliers and choosing niche etc.

eqttrdr

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Aug 25, 2013
What would you use if you are sending traffic to a landing page/pre-sell page first then directing to your product cart page?

regular html, custom coded bigcommerce page, wordpress?

thanks

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Bio, thanks a ton for the knowledge bomb!

One quick question... Further back in the thread you said learning SEO is crucial in Ecommerce, and just recently you said you don't do it anymore.

Google is changing algorythms fairly regularly now that certain SEO techniques can get wiped out on a change, so I concentrate on PPC ads more now. I still do generate content, before it's more for content sake vs SEO. You should still understand SEO because the white hat SEO stuff is generally good for business. For example, keeping the site content fresh and writing good content is good for your site in general as it is for SEO.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
It's a product with a gas powered engine - but I actually did find a supplier with EPA certs after much digging around. I invested in a small shipment which I recieved last week and threw the item up on Craigslist just to see if I'd get a response. Well, I'm getting a hell of a response and have already sold 25% of my stock in the first week.

I originally planned on Ebay as a test, but shipping quotes from UPS and FEDEX both were about double what I see another seller shipping them for (on Ebay and another is the #1 ranked google search result website).

I couldn't get a real answer from the girl at UPS as to how other sellers are shipping for half price, although I imagine it must be a volume discount. So, I decided to sell locally and although profitable already, I doubt I'll re-order this product unless I can figure out competitive shipping to make it a web based business.

Still feels good though to have picked a product that resonates with people and turn some profit. Definitely a learning experience as far as locating suppliers and choosing niche etc.

When you get volume going, your UPS or Fedex rates will drop. Do you have an account with them setup?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
What would you use if you are sending traffic to a landing page/pre-sell page first then directing to your product cart page?

thanks

Probably a regular html page. That would be the easiest. Don't see why you'd set up wordpress just to do a one page site unless you needed the plugins.

Yul

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
209%
Mar 6, 2014
Mexico

thanks

I am not the most experienced Ecommerce guy. but right now I am doing the same redirecting traffic to a landing page thing and I am currently using Weebly.

That could probably work for you, specially if you are like me and have 0 knowledge of coding/building websites.

Not sure if this is the best way to go, but it is what I am currently doing.

Hope it helps.

eqttrdr

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Aug 25, 2013
what about having a call center or an answering service for people who want to ask questions about your product and/or order them???

do you have any recommendations for a beginner set up with a live answering/ordering service/call center when its time to upgrade from just a simple 800# voicemail???

What do you feel is the next step up from just a voicemail 800#?

I need a call center to answer questions and take orders

REP++ for this awesome thread!!

Chazmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
May 23, 2013
USA
When you get volume going, your UPS or Fedex rates will drop. Do you have an account with them setup?

Yes I did set them both up but haven't used yet. That's reassuring though because shipping costs seem to be the only thing stopping the idea of selling through my own store. I wonder what kind of volumer would start to lower costs....

I'll call them again and try to get someone higher up the totem pole, thanks for the input!

chrisbiz4444

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
51%
Aug 9, 2013
RI
I think you read my post wrong. What part are you disagreeing with?? I don't have anything against blackhat. In fact, I agree that all SEO is blackhat since Google doesn't like any SEO.

The blackhat stuff I'm talking about is nothing like you've mentioned. It's the kind of stuff where they say, ok cell phones off, no photos, videos or note taking for this part of the class. Unfortunately, I didn't retain hat was taught because I didn't have the resources to implement what they talked about in class. This wasn't manual stuff. It was super server intensive and they talked about generating 10,000 links a day and it wasn't the normal warrior/wicked fire stuff.

All I'm saying is that SEO companies that get paid the big bucks will do black hat to rank big companies for big keywords. They have massive server resources and huge private networks. Think about what a network must look like for an SEO company that has been in business for 5 years. What kind of domains have they gathered? How many servers do they have running all day? How many partnerships with other SEO companies do they have?

Is starting an SEO company fastlane?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
what about having a call center or an answering service for people who want to ask questions about your product and/or order them???

do you have any recommendations for a beginner set up with a live answering/ordering service/call center when its time to upgrade from just a simple 800# voicemail???

What do you feel is the next step up from just a voicemail 800#?

I need a call center to answer questions and take orders

REP++ for this awesome thread!!

Well my first question is, why can't you answer the calls? If you are too busy, why don't you hire someone to do so? How many calls do you get a day?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Yes I did set them both up but haven't used yet. That's reassuring though because shipping costs seem to be the only thing stopping the idea of selling through my own store. I wonder what kind of volumer would start to lower costs....

I'll call them again and try to get someone higher up the totem pole, thanks for the input!

I don't know what volume gets what discounts. I would think that asking them would work, or try to find out who your local rep is for each company, or call a shipping company that uses UPS or Fedex. We get reps coming into the office all the time trying to get us to switch from Fedex to UPS, and these reps are from shipping companies, not UPS.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.