The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Anyone using UE4 game engine?

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Mar 3, 2013
I've been comparing cross-platform game engines for mobile apps. The UE4 game-engine looks pretty good.

The license appears to be free, until you make more than $3k per quarter, in which case they want 5% of your gross. Epic also has an indie fund of $5k-$50k

https://www.unrealengine.com/blog/epic-launches-unreal-dev-grants

I'm more interested in casual games, but I guess the UE4 could be used for anything.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
unity

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
or save your 2 weeks and go with unity.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Mar 3, 2013
Is Unity2D - Unity3D's answer to Cocos2D? I'm mostly interested in casual games, and Cocos2D seems dominant.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
Now that's a tougher question i guess. I use unity for 2d, never tried cocos2d. research it and decide.

But most importantly, it's less about the game engine and more about what you do with it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

splok

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Jul 20, 2012
Some of the other 2D packages have a lower learning curve than Unity, but Unity has a massive community with tons of tutorials out there. It also has the asset store. You don't know how to or don't have time to do x? Someone's probably selling a script that does it.

AaronDubya

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Jan 9, 2012
western Kentucky
I've been comparing cross-platform game engines for mobile apps. The UE4 game-engine looks pretty good.

The license appears to be free, until you make more than $3k per quarter, in which case they want 5% of your gross. Epic also has an indie fund of $5k-$50k

https://www.unrealengine.com/blog/epic-launches-unreal-dev-grants

I'm more interested in casual games, but I guess the UE4 could be used for anything.

I'm learning how to work UE4 right now, the engine's really feature heavy so you better have at least 8GB of RAM on your computer before downloading it. That being said, Unreal 4 is an engine designed with high end PCs and next gen consoles in mind, Unity is what you want.

The game I'm working on right now, by myself, is being made in Unity because it's being made with Smartphones and Tablets in mind. I'm saving UE4 for the big game that I'm working on next.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.