The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Anyone here in the grey market?

Chrono4001

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Feb 3, 2010
Certainly the grey market is one of the best ways to go into the fastlane correct? In my home country some brand named shoes such as Nike, Reebok and Adidas are worth 3-5 times what they are worth here in the United States, and yet despite their overinflated price people still flock to major cities to buy these shoes especially during the holidays. It is not even with shoes but many articles of clothing, electronic devices and video games. If these items were to be bought at wholesale in the states in bulk and sold in my country at retail value the profit margin would be enormous, for a single pair of shoes the profit would be at about $300 dollars which in turn would give me the ability to sell them cheaper then the retail competitors thus increasing customers and generating more business in the end.

Is there anything at all I missed on this proposal above or any problems whatsoever? Thanks.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

TC2

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jun 30, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Which country are you from?

Yes. It's possible to make great profit from importing to other country, but the cost of shipping, and many other things may also eat up the profit.

Chrono4001

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Feb 3, 2010
Which country are you from?

Yes. It's possible to make great profit from importing to other country, but the cost of shipping, and many other things may also eat up the profit.
Well its in South America, and shipping along with any other payments is something I am currently investigating. If I were to buy products from say... Nike directly from one of their factories in China would shipping costs not be similar to that if they were to arrive in the US?

Analyzer

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Aug 31, 2007
Portugal, Europe
The issue is normally has to do with import quotas and taxes.

Prices are more expensive for a reason, normally to protect local producers. Check out how much you would have to pay in import taxes or what limitations you would have.

TC2

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jun 30, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
From what I can see, your best chance is to export from China and import to your country.

You should pay a visit to the city that produce the products in China. You will know how other people export cloth, shoes and day to day living items from China to other countries. It's amazing how much stuff were sold in one day.

However, those name brand items are usually not sold directly in China. So you will end up finding counterfeit or after market products to buy. If those name brand items are allowed to be sold in China, they are likely more expensive than in US.

So you may want to become the wholeseller or the distributer of certain name brand products in your country, which is more fastlane and more profitable.

Chrono4001

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Feb 3, 2010
From what I can see, your best chance is to export from China and import to your country.

You should pay a visit to the city that produce the products in China. You will know how other people export cloth, shoes and day to day living items from China to other countries. It's amazing how much stuff were sold in one day.

However, those name brand items are usually not sold directly in China. So you will end up finding counterfeit or after market products to buy. If those name brand items are allowed to be sold in China, they are likely more expensive than in US.

So you may want to become the wholeseller or the distributer of certain name brand products in your country, which is more fastlane and more profitable.

So instead of cutting out the middle man, I become the middle man then right? But through that route will I not then need to pay the taxes that I would of went around had I bought the products from a Chinese distributor?

TC2

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jun 30, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I am not sure about the tax or custom fee.

The point of being a wholeseller or licensed distributor is to have less competitors and you have the best profit margin.

It's not going to be easy, but that's how thousands people from all over the world that carry load and load cloth at manufacture and ship to their countries.

It's very easy to get non-branded items from China (same quality product without the LOGO). To get the name branded items, you need to work on it. As long as you can sell, you can bargain the company to offer you great wholesale price.

Chrono4001

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Feb 3, 2010
I am not sure about the tax or custom fee.

The point of being a wholeseller or licensed distributor is to have less competitors and you have the best profit margin.

It's not going to be easy, but that's how thousands people from all over the world that carry load and load cloth at manufacture and ship to their countries.

It's very easy to get non-branded items from China (same quality product without the LOGO). To get the name branded items, you need to work on it. As long as you can sell, you can bargain the company to offer you great wholesale price.
Hmm, actually from what I have read if I become a US distributor who sends items to my home country its very much possible I will have to deal with US taxes and not that of my home country. I'll investigate further thanks for the suggestion. :smxA:

WestCoast

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
313%
Jan 20, 2008
Rhode Island for now.
when we imported stuff to certain places in South America, the duty was in some cases 100%.

It's a protectionist tactic that is highly effective, check with a customs broker before you go wild Mr. Chrono.

Chrono4001

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Feb 3, 2010
when we imported stuff to certain places in South America, the duty was in some cases 100%.

It's a protectionist tactic that is highly effective, check with a customs broker before you go wild Mr. Chrono.
What do you mean?

Also... Would it actually be possible to become a US distributor and pay a US distributor fee while having a store in a foreign country?

TheSeaKing

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Aug 4, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
The key issue here chrono is that the product has to be transported. When it's in transit, crossing the boarder. . . What paperwork are they going to want to see. Paperwork showing the taxes payed to america, or paperwork showing the taxes paid to south america. A 'protectionist policy' is a government policy which is designed to ensure jobs and money stay local rather then products being imported (from china) and money being sent out of the country (to you living in america).

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.