The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Any advantage for working for a startup - sales position

Azharr

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Feb 24, 2013
I had a inside sales job with a SMB firm,the problem is their principle undercuts them (Autodesk) so they start selling their own lousy product I left - they never really provide me with a formal training.

but I learn to cold call,learn the sales process and catching payment most of all coping with rejection.

how about a startup?

I read startup usually allow casual dress and open culture.

anyone care to share experience?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
For a salary... Yes

For straight commission...no.

In the first one, you are getting paid to get educated.

In the second one, you are paying to build a company you don't own.

Azharr

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Feb 24, 2013
If you can cold call and sell, why share what you earn with others ?

because I lack social circle that motivates me in my personal life.

Stephanos83

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Nov 17, 2013
United Kingdom
Haven't worked for a startup, so I can't share much on that. I've heard more experienced guys say it can be a valuable experience, especially if you're still on the fence starting up on your own. You'll have an opportunity to see first hand how mile stones and pit falls develop in a growing business. Pay attention, and you should be able to spot mistakes you can avoid yourself later on. Job security might be questionable, but you can use the opportunity as a paid internship to learn some great lessons.

Azharr

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Feb 24, 2013
Haven't worked for a startup, so I can't share much on that. I've heard more experienced guys say it can be a valuable experience, especially if you're still on the fence starting up on your own. You'll have an opportunity to see first hand how mile stones and pit falls develop in a growing business. Pay attention, and you should be able to spot mistakes you can avoid yourself later on. Job security might be questionable, but you can use the opportunity as a paid internship to learn some great lessons.

I had worked for a startup ferry operator (international)... go bust after 6 months

undercapitalized,unorganized,no expertise in the industry,unable to control cost,poor marketing and of course corruption/under-table with a government body to get the tender

from that experience I know I can't go out on my own till I am GREAT at selling (which currently I'm not) - yes?

Stephanos83

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Nov 17, 2013
United Kingdom
I think it depends on the form of selling you do. It's a much different skill set to sell something online than it is face-to-face or through cold calling. Online selling can be formulated and tested over time. A great offer can make holes in copyrighting negligible. Being a sales person in the traditional sense is a different animal altogether.

If you lack skills in selling, you can always try to partner or hire someone who has that covered. Not everyone can be good at everything, so think in terms of how you can leverage resources to help you meet your goals. Or find a way to operate that utilizes your strengths rather than weaknesses.

Toao

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Nov 29, 2012
Germany - close to Europe
I am surrounded with technicians who believes in doing things by their own hand... they frown on sales people

I have no idea how to get real friends after school.

well techies are a special species who certainly dislike sales people. how to find friends and be a good salesman too is quite easy. Be of service.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.