The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Announcing the Launch of "The Sourcing Blog"

Anything related to sourcing or importing products.

Elizabeth Shi

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Feb 18, 2014
China
Hi All,

I am excited to announce the launch of the “The Sourcing Blog” which will be authored by my colleague. We thought a blog would be a great medium to share some of the experiences we have had working with Chinese factories over the years in China. Through the blog, I hope to share information on subjects like, importing from China, Quality Control, Supply Chain Management, Risk-Management & related areas.

Some of the key objectives of the blog would be to:

• Share strategies for importers so they can optimize & streamline their imports
  • Share industry related sources that could be of value to new & existing importers
  • Share import strategies for e-commerce sellers, especially eBay Powersellers & Amazon FBA sellers
  • Share information on “Quality Control” & related subjects when importing from China
  • Share advice for “Fraud Prevention” in International Trade

I hope we can bring some value through the blog on this subject. At the same time, as the blog is quite fresh at the moment and we are still working on the various aspects, I would really appreciate any feedback or suggestions you may have. I look forward to seeing some of you on the blog and your feedback on the forum here.

Thanks
Elizabeth

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Love the idea! Good luck. Feel free to update this thread when you have substantive posts or share blog content here in this thread.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Following. Looking forward to the thread. ☺

Elizabeth Shi

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Feb 18, 2014
China
Hi @awesom-o ,

Really thanks for the opportunity to be of service. How was your experience working with IMEX? We will try our best to improve our service & processes based on your feedback.

Many thanks,

Elizabeth Shi

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Feb 18, 2014
China

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
Effects of the Chinese New Year on Manufacturing - This series of posts will go into the nitty-gritty of what happens in China & in particular in Chinese factories during the Chinese New Year, how it impacts importers and how they can be better prepared.

Wow, I randomly found this thread from the "recent posts", and you have really delivered some fantastic content on your first post. As someone who knows only secondhand info about the Chinese New Year, this will be a great primer. I eagerly await Part 2. Blogs that deliver long in-depth posts of well-written material are the only ones I bother reading, and I'm adding yours to my subscription list.

Speed+

ljb7

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
196%
Jun 7, 2014
I have to agree with @amp0193 ...

Just finished Part 1 of the Effects of Chinese New Year on Manufacturing and I have to say that it was a wonderful read, packed with stuff I'd never known before. Really well written and just plain great!! Can't wait for Part 2.

Subscribed.

voltron

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Oct 26, 2014
Canada
great first post, really informative and even interesting for a non importer like me. Couple of grammar issues you should clean up though, its "affecting" not "effecting"

Elizabeth Shi

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Feb 18, 2014
China
Update: Difference between a Chinese Sourcing company from a Trading company

Many importers may not be aware that the websites that they have been visiting online or the exhibition booths that they've stopped by during the Canton Fair do not actually belong to manufacturers but by Trading Companies. So how do you tell if you are dealing with a Trading Company and not a manufacturer, and what's the difference between a Trading Company from a Sourcing Company?

Elizabeth

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Nice! I've subscribed.. I also have a something Big brewing in development as a blog & software in a sister industry as well! Can't wait to I get to launch point like you... Good luck with everything!

Elizabeth Shi

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Feb 18, 2014
China
Thanks @JamesF ,

Actually our company was founded since 2008 but we have just recently launched our blog. Good luck to your ventures too.

Last edited:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Sidebar.

Have you noticed, forum members... that we routinely ban spammers, yet we've let this blog grow and be promoted here?

Why?

1. She's a contributing member
2. She joined us not to promote the business, but to join the community
3. She started a Fast Lane Business
4. Her contributions here have been valuable at the forum

So then she starts a blog. She then shares the blog content with forum members. It ADDS VALUE.

So... if you want a roadmap on how to do this, this is a pretty good case study.

Elizabeth Shi

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Feb 18, 2014
China

Elizabeth Shi

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Feb 18, 2014
China
Hi everyone,

The second part of the Effects of the Chinese New Year on Manufacturing series is out! In this second part of the Effects of the Chinese New Year on Manufacturing series we discussed how the Chinese New Year holiday brings a very great impact when it comes to the factories' production timings, how the factories prioritize pending and current orders , and the factors that greatly affect the product quality during this period.

So, How does the Chinese New Year Impact Product Quality & Production Time?

Do let me know whether you've similar experiences when you've imported from China during the CNY holiday. The third part of this series would be about on the logistics side, how it greatly affect your import timeline and costs.

Thanks.

Elizabeth Shi

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Feb 18, 2014
China
Hi All,

Just to let you know, the third part of the series " Effects of the Chinese New Year on Suppliers & Importers " - How to avoid logistical delays to your shipment during the Chinese New Year? is finally out!

In this part of the series on Chinese New Year, we look at the logistics situation in China during this period & how it impacts the entire supply chain, especially in regard to “delivery times” & “logistics costs”. Being aware of the logistics situation during this time of the year is important for importers not only because of delays to shipments but also because new importers are often surprised at the steep freight rate increases during this period.

I know that some of you have already experienced the difficulties discussed so please feel free to share your experiences or ask any questions in the comment section or share the article and spread the knowledge.

P.S.
Watch out for the last part of this series which will be a checklist that importers can use to avoid issues on production, quality control, and logistics-related issues that were discussed on the first three parts of this series.

Best Regards,
Elizabeth

Elizabeth Shi

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Feb 18, 2014
China

Elizabeth Shi

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Feb 18, 2014
China
Hi All,

Spring Canton Fair starts today! Who's in China or who's planning to attend? :)

We would love to invite you to our office as it's just 20 minutes away from the fair venue as during the Canton Fair, we also offer a free consultation session for importers to discuss their import plans or challenges. This is given by Ashish Monga, our director & you can find more info on this here: http://imexsourcingservices.com/free-consultation-china-imports

Furthermore, you may also want to check out the latest blog post on: Is it worth spending money on a trip to Canton Fair? , Ask yourself these 4 Questions to decide if Canton Fair is Right for you.

Update:
How to Spot genuine Manufacturers at a China Sourcing Fair

I will look forward to hearing from you and seeing you in Guangzhou. If you can make it, please let me know your time availability so I can make necessary arrangements and book a slot for you.

Have a great day guys!;)
Elizabeth

Last edited:

ljb7

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
196%
Jun 7, 2014
Hi All,

Spring Canton Fair starts today! Who's in China or who's planning to attend? :)

We would love to invite you to our office as it's just 20 minutes away from the fair venue as during the Canton Fair, we also offer a free consultation session for importers to discuss their import plans or challenges. This is given by Ashish Monga, our director & you can find more info on this here: http://imexsourcingservices.com/free-consultation-china-imports

Furthermore, you may also want to check out the latest blog post on: Is it worth spending money on a trip to Canton Fair? , Ask yourself these 4 Questions to decide if Canton Fair is Right for you.

I will look forward to hearing from you and seeing you in Guangzhou. If you can make it, please let me know your time availability so I can make necessary arrangements and book a slot for you.

Have a great day guys!;)
Elizabeth

I enjoyed this post Elizabeth! Unfortunately I won't be attending Canton but it's definitely something I'd like to do in the near future. Maybe even the winter fair.

In the write up you said 'I believe that money is better spent on a lot of other areas like, educating themselves about the nuances of international trade through web based courses & training programs'. I was wondering if you had any courses/training programs that you'd recommend to importers?

Elizabeth Shi

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Feb 18, 2014
China
I enjoyed this post Elizabeth! Unfortunately I won't be attending Canton but it's definitely something I'd like to do in the near future. Maybe even the winter fair.

In the write up you said 'I believe that money is better spent on a lot of other areas like, educating themselves about the nuances of international trade through web based courses & training programs'. I was wondering if you had any courses/training programs that you'd recommend to importers?

Hi, there are lots of info courses online and the ones you take depends on where you are in the process and which area you want to strengthen. Do you have any specific areas you want to focus on, for e.g. say import procedures, amazon sales, etc.?

Elizabeth Shi

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Feb 18, 2014
China
Hi All,

We have just recently started a new series of blog post on our blog. This would be helpful especially to new importers who are planning to import from China.

The first post of this series is about:
The Top 5 Common Mistakes that New Importers should avoid - Importing From China? Avoid these 5 Common Mistakes

Will update on this series soon. :)
Thanks.
Liz

Elizabeth Shi

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Feb 18, 2014
China
Last edited:

Elizabeth Shi

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Feb 18, 2014
China

Elizabeth Shi

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Feb 18, 2014
China
Hi Everyone,

Over the years, we have seen and answered lots of questions with regards to logistics from China and especially in calculating landed costs of your goods and a many of questions repeat over & over again, so here is a comprehensive blog post from our blog to address this:

The Ultimate Guide to Logistics from China & Calculating your Landed Costs

We hope that this will address a lot of repeated questions and I am sure it will bring up a lot of new questions as well, so please feel free to ask any questions on this thread and hopefully some logistics expert can help me with this.

Cheers,
Elizabeth

Elizabeth Shi

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Feb 18, 2014
China
Hi All,

Please allow me to update this thread with the latest post from our blog.

Air Freight & Courier from China – Basics, Strategies & Issues - Basics, Smart Strategies for Reducing Costs & Key Issues to Avoid

The post covers the difference between courier and air freight, looks at when sending goods by air is better compared to sea, what in-motion dimension scanning is & how do you choose between courier and air freight. It also looks at some of the critical key issues that you should be aware of when it comes to sending goods by air and some smart strategies for reducing costs when importing by air. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Hopefully you get some value from it.

Cheers,
Liz ;)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!