The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

An entrepreneurs biggest weakness is Isolation?

wallstreet

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Sep 17, 2010
Last night I was pondering why so many people in the world are so focused on accomplishing a goal solo. Human beings were never meant to act as solo units. For example even in 2011 an adult human being isolated by themselves will most likely die within a year without assistance from other people. Our biggest weakness as humans is isolation period.

So why is it that the majority of entrepreneurs such as ourselves try to tackle one of the most difficult Challenge of becoming wealthy solo or by only using a few local contacts?

I'm quite tired, and might not be making to much sense but does anyone agree with me?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
D

DeletedUser2

entrepreneurs who work in a vacuum often suck

I have found this to be VERY true.

However 1 bad partner Experience could shove them into further isolation.

or the greed factor. if i give up x % of my company, I wont have it later.

any Suggestions on How to cure that? might be a business in that answer.

Inphinity

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 20, 2007
Auckland, NZ
We don't, that's why this forum (and a few others along the same lines) are such a great resource and so popular ;)

Kfleming

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Apr 29, 2011
Philadelphia PA
The isolation can be tough but I would rather have to deal with that, then with...

officespacebosswide.jpg

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Isolation is something you have to learn to deal with as a solo entrepreneur -- I do agree that humans are social creatures and that long exposures of isolation isn't good. Sometimes I find myself sitting at home all day and realizing I spoke to NO ONE the entire day! I force myself out to the store, the gym, somewhere!

The isolation can be tough but I would rather have to deal with that, then with...

officespacebosswide.jpg

You got those TPS reports?

mrhahn

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Apr 21, 2011
San Diego
I'm not sure what you meant by "so many people in the world". Where do your numbers come from? Plus, solo doesn't mean isolation.

Solo entrepreneurs can definitely be successful. Just b/c you don't have a partner doesn't mean you can't interact with others. You're not in a vacuum; you can expose yourself to new ideas, social interactions with people in the field, resources available to you, etc. It's up to you to seek others and information out in that sense.

Trent

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Jul 9, 2008
China
Great topic, Wallstreet, I've definitely went back on forth on this for a long time. I've had the same experience as MJ, not seeing or speaking to another person for days at a time...but I'd rather that then blindly conform to the slowlane.

As with most things, I think the answer lies in moderation. Forums like this, meetup.com groups, social events etc, must be mixed in so you don't lose touch/connection with others, especially your customers!

TK1

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Mar 31, 2011
I have this often times, too, but I got used to it, because it's a natural process if you step out of the lifestyle the masses live and you want to do it on your own businesswise.

The key point that grows in your head: You value your time being by yourself more than hanging out with the old school buddies.

The best way for me is doing sports (basketball, gym etc.) and....girls :rofl:

puckman

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Apr 12, 2011
NYC
I have done both to the extreme, working in an office with 12K people, and working solo for years. Personally, I am happier on my own. I may be on my own, but not disconnected. My best colleagues and clients live thousands of miles away. Being disconnected is totally different than working by yourself. Its popular these days to sit three feet from the next person in typical corporate offices. In Jan, when I was slow lane, a new girl came in and gave me a nasty cold that I couldn't shake for 4 months. And I had to listen to all of her phone calls, and conversations, and etc etc. Multiple that by 50, 50 people sitting in a fairly small area. Not for me. I stay connected through the phone, my gym(I crossfit seriously and compete at it), friends, professional events, etc. I was a traveling sales man for years, traveled all over the globe, and the downtime working at home with no commute is like a permanent vacation. I will get an office in my neighborhood though if I grow my revenue to $500K.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.