The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Affiliate Marketing from the Company Side. Experiences?

Marketing, social media, advertising

CrazyChris

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Feb 12, 2015
Hello everyone.

There seems to be a lot of posts on here talking about AM from the affiliates side.

I have about 3 months experience from the business side of AM, with my own product, and have been relatively successful (about $16k rev, of which about 35% is profit, and it is my first ever business venture).

I'd love to hear from others with business side affiliate marketing experience.

How successful have you been using AM?
Have you had any troubles or problems running AM offers?

Thanks for your time everyone!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JonnyC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
463%
Jan 23, 2014
Canada
CrazyChris

Congratulations on your success so far! I was wondering if you could please share your thoughts on using AM for physical products. I'm launching a product right now with 78% gross margins, about 50% net after all costs (fulfillment and inventory). Is that typically enough margin to support bringing on affiliates down the line?

CrazyChris

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Feb 12, 2015
CrazyChris

Congratulations on your success so far! I was wondering if you could please share your thoughts on using AM for physical products. I'm launching a product right now with 78% gross margins, about 50% net after all costs (fulfillment and inventory). Is that typically enough margin to support bringing on affiliates down the line?

Hey Jonny,
I'm currently selling physical products using AM.

My thoughts on using AM for physical products? hmmm.
It depends very much on your product mate. Are you currently shipping your product? Would you product likely be banned from entering different countries?

%50 net seems like plenty to me. Of course you understand that you will be sacrificing margin in order to get AM sales; but if it's sales you would not have had before....

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
518%
May 29, 2013
Depends on certain factors.

Most of the issues raise in the form of fraud, which is less if a physical product or a CPS model.

When you get into digital or recurring/CPA/CPL models, the fraud seems to be higher.

CrazyChris

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Feb 12, 2015
Depends on certain factors.

Most of the issues raise in the form of fraud, which is less if a physical product or a CPS model.

When you get into digital or recurring/CPA/CPL models, the fraud seems to be higher.

Thanks for the reply eliquid!

Have you personally experienced fraud while running AM offers?

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
One of the obstacles I would want to be well educated on is franchise laws, that vary by state. Each state will have different requirements so that you don't get nailed as a franchiser, and you're going to need to be well studied on that distribution aspect as your business grows.

Maintain your integrity, and being at the top of a MLM would be pretty sweet. As long as your business doesn't evolve into selling false dreams to unsuspecting noobs, you could have a good run.

CrazyChris

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Feb 12, 2015
One of the obstacles I would want to be well educated on is franchise laws, that vary by state. Each state will have different requirements so that you don't get nailed as a franchiser, and you're going to need to be well studied on that distribution aspect as your business grows.

Maintain your integrity, and being at the top of a MLM would be pretty sweet. As long as your business doesn't evolve into selling false dreams to unsuspecting noobs, you could have a good run.

Hmmmm, I'm Australian, so US laws shouldn't have much of an impact on me. Maybe they will affect my affiliates. You have got me thinking about the laws here though.

False dreams to unsuspecting noobs? Haha definitely not, I'm full of integrity!

So vigilante, want to make millions a day in passive income? Simply pay me $1,000 for this starter pack! ;-)

Basilius

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Feb 26, 2015
Czech Republic
Interestingly enough the biggest success I had with promoting CPA offers over PPC was the one with physical product. I tried the ones with email or zip submits, but couldn't make it work.

I steered away from AM to focus on creating my own product in order to do something worthwhile and build an audience that I build a relationship with.

JonnyC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
463%
Jan 23, 2014
Canada
Hey Jonny,
I'm currently selling physical products using AM.

My thoughts on using AM for physical products? hmmm.
It depends very much on your product mate. Are you currently shipping your product? Would you product likely be banned from entering different countries?

%50 net seems like plenty to me. Of course you understand that you will be sacrificing margin in order to get AM sales; but if it's sales you would not have had before....

Gotcha. I am not shipping it, using FBA exclusively in US.

I think it's a fair compromise, with regards to the margin vs more sales. I'll look into the specifics, thanks a lot!

CrazyChris

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Feb 12, 2015
Gotcha. I am not shipping it, using FBA exclusively in US.

I think it's a fair compromise, with regards to the margin vs more sales. I'll look into the specifics, thanks a lot!
Ahh okay.

If you can figure out how to limit your affiliates to only sell in the US, then I say go for it!

CrazyChris

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Feb 12, 2015
Interestingly enough the biggest success I had with promoting CPA offers over PPC was the one with physical product. I tried the ones with email or zip submits, but couldn't make it work.

I steered away from AM to focus on creating my own product in order to do something worthwhile and build an audience that I build a relationship with.

Sorry mate, from your response I'm unsure as to which side of AM you have experience with?

CrazyChris

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Feb 12, 2015
What network or software do you recommend?
I just use Shopify as my ecommerce platform. I can't code at all, so an eCommerce software package was important for me. I like Shopify a lot, it's simple to understand, customisable enough and their customer service is exceptional.

For the affiliate side, I am currently generating sales reports (from Shopify) at the end of each week and paying my affiliates from that. This method works alright for me as I only have a small number of affiliates at the moment. However, I plan on using refersion.com in the near future so I can scale up the amount of affiliates I have.

MEAH

Lost Without A Map
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Apr 24, 2015
This method works alright for me as I only have a small number of affiliates at the moment. However, I plan on using refersion.com in the near future so I can scale up the amount of affiliates I have.

Just wanted to say Refersion is awesome and Alex gets back to you right away if you have a support question. I love the platform's UX/UI and being that it was a small start up makes me want to keep giving my money to him. Works perfectly and integrates with both shopify and my woocommerce store!

You can even scale up as your number of affiliates grow

CrazyChris

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Feb 12, 2015
Just wanted to say Refersion is awesome and Alex gets back to you right away if you have a support question. I love the platform's UX/UI and being that it was a small start up makes me want to keep giving my money to him. Works perfectly and integrates with both shopify and my woocommerce store!

You can even scale up as your number of affiliates grow

I see feedback like this, everywhere I look haha. Which is fantastic!

MEAH do you use the post-purchase affiliate registration channel at all?

MEAH

Lost Without A Map
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Apr 24, 2015
Ahh okay. Would you mind keeping me updated as to how it goes

yes absolutely.. I just dont see myself implementing the Post-purchase side any time soon.

My affiliate sign up is working fine without it

CrazyChris

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Feb 12, 2015
yes absolutely.. I just dont see myself implementing the Post-purchase side any time soon.

My affiliate sign up is working fine without it
Would you mind sharing any details of your business?

CJC3392

Banned
Jan 8, 2015
Probably a dumb question but how do you track the sales from a specific affiliate? ie. how do you know that a sale was generated from a certain affiliate?

CrazyChris

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Feb 12, 2015
Probably a dumb question but how do you track the sales from a specific affiliate? ie. how do you know that a sale was generated from a certain affiliate?
This is what refersion does! :D

Currently my methods for tracking affiliate sales are extremely...primitive.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.