The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

a percentage deal or a post-production payment plan

ShannaGrace

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Mar 1, 2014
I have someone willing to help me with Graphics and Webdesign and marketing for my product and she is willing to take a percentage deal or Post production payment plan. I have never done anything like this, so I am unsure what a fair deal would be. I have asked her for some guidelines, from other deals she has done and the amount of work she thinks this will entail, but I haven't gotten a response from her, and I would like some outside input into what are fair guidelines and the plus or minus of the two options.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Do you really want to give a percentage of your multi million dollar company to somebody who did the first graphics and design? I thought so. So there's your answer on that.

Payment plan on the other hand sounds like a good offer.

Do you really need her though? Graphics, webdesign and tech can be done for very cheap (few $ a month) with sth like shopify or wordpress depending on your business. And marketing shouldnt be outsourced, thats your job.

Also, if she doesnt respond now, she will probably do a pretty bad job for you anyway. Next.

ShannaGrace

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Mar 1, 2014
Well I am not outsourcing marketing. but would have her to help me, creating and implementing the plan, plus branding. I don't even know what Post production payment plan, would be? Would that be a contractual amount, or depending on the amount of work she does.

ShannaGrace

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Mar 1, 2014
Well I am not outsourcing marketing. but would have her to help me, creating and implementing the plan, plus branding. I don't even know what Post production payment plan, would be? Would that be a contractual amount, or depending on the amount of work she does.
Do you really want to give a percentage of your multi million dollar company to somebody who did the first graphics and design? I thought so. So there's your answer on that.

Payment plan on the other hand sounds like a good offer.

Do you really need her though? Graphics, webdesign and tech can be done for very cheap (few $ a month) with sth like shopify or wordpress depending on your business. And marketing shouldnt be outsourced, thats your job.

Also, if she doesnt respond now, she will probably do a pretty bad job for you anyway. Next.
@theag thanks for your reply. You are correct, if she can't give me an answer on what she thinks is a fair offer, which is her compensation, then what else will I be waiting on?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

darkjediii

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Jun 8, 2010
Washington, DC area
Here are some things to think about. Follow the logic behind the questions and it should help get to the formula you're looking for:

1) First, you have to ask - how much would her services be worth if you paid for it up front?

example: $1,500

2) Second, what incentive can you give her so that you do not have to pay up front?

ex1: $500/mo plus 5% of an sales until paid off
ex2: 20% of sales for x months

3) Alternatively, you can structure the deal in ways that it's mutually beneficial.

ex: She will do on-going design/marketing stuff for x% commission on sales until it pays of the initial design work then it drops down to x% until a specified time period (ie 6 months - renewable)

At this stage, it's recommended to always put an expiration date on your contracts 1mo, 6mo, 1 year, whatever, you can always put in the option to renew it. But more than likely, your business and business needs will change, so do not get stuck in a long term agreement you can't get out of.

There's no "usual" structure for these type of things, it's whatever you can hustle.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.