The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

A Hustler's Guide To Buying And Selling Anything (Part 2)

Sean Corroon

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
May 4, 2014
Dubai, UAE
I would never put the majority of my cash into one item, the risk is too high.

The risk is alot higher when you arent 100% sure what your doing but if you know what your at and you have the watch verified then it should be fine. But that is a very basic rule of making money never to put all your eggs in one basket.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

RisingStars

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Sep 9, 2014
Germany
Sean Corroon I was wondering, since you said you buy watches in dubai and sell them were you study, dont you have to pay import tax? Is it still worth it?
I mean I can only bring stuff for less then 400€ to germany for free (Eu) worldwide it less then 40€ I think.

Sean Corroon

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
May 4, 2014
Dubai, UAE
Sean Corroon I was wondering, since you said you buy watches in dubai and sell them were you study, dont you have to pay import tax? Is it still worth it?
I mean I can only bring stuff for less then 400€ to germany for free (Eu) worldwide it less then 40€ I think.
No I dont... Maybe im supposed too but I have never be pulled up on it by the Irish immigration officers. If I was you I would concentrate on your local market for deals instead of trying to ship them from other countries as then you may encounter a host of problems such as missing packages, insurance, scammers, import tax etc! I heard that there are cheap rolexes in switzerland so maybe you could get a train there and back?

RisingStars

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Sep 9, 2014
Germany
Thats a really nice Idea thank you. It cost 39€ and It will take 3 hours to switzerland and 3 back. I never where there so I combine it with a little vacation, when I have enaugh money :D
I think I am alowed to bring 10.000€ in and leave with 10.000€ so it will be okay.

Another question: How much is you guys margin per deal? How much do you try to get out if you buy for example a mobile for 300€?
I normally get 100€ profit for 300€ invest. today I will buy a phone for 750€ so I get 200€ out of it atleast.
Whats your margin? Is mine ok?

Also: How do you keep track of all your deals? Excel? Or do you write it down per hand? Would be nice to see some screenshots/photos of your tables :D

Thanks and good luck to everyone,

Leonard

xkir0x

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Dec 18, 2012
Thats a really nice Idea thank you. It cost 39€ and It will take 3 hours to switzerland and 3 back. I never where there so I combine it with a little vacation, when I have enaugh money :D
I think I am alowed to bring 10.000€ in and leave with 10.000€ so it will be okay.

Another question: How much is you guys margin per deal? How much do you try to get out if you buy for example a mobile for 300€?
I normally get 100€ profit for 300€ invest. today I will buy a phone for 750€ so I get 200€ out of it atleast.
Whats your margin? Is mine ok?

Also: How do you keep track of all your deals? Excel? Or do you write it down per hand? Would be nice to see some screenshots/photos of your tables :D

Thanks and good luck to everyone,

Leonard
That Profit is amazing! What exaktly did you buy for 750€? Are you from germany?

RisingStars

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Sep 9, 2014
Germany
Yes I am from germany. You too? I buy a iPhone 6 plus 128gb gold.
Its new. From a contract bonus. The guy dont want it. He got a bill and stuff, so its not stolen

xkir0x

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Dec 18, 2012
Yes I am from germany. You too? I buy a iPhone 6 plus 128gb gold.
Its new. From a contract bonus. The guy dont want it. He got a bill and stuff, so its not stolen
Yes, i am from germany too. Already contacted you via private message. How often do you find deals like that? Most people overvalue their iphones so much, so there is round about 20-30€ profit for me.

RisingStars

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Sep 9, 2014
Germany
Wrote you back already.
I find deals usually every day. But, ofc. not that good. I think 25 deals in 21 days but more sells cause I bought consoles + games.

OVOvince

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Oct 18, 2014
guhhhhh

still slackin on my craigslist hustle. i hate this 2 day wait to update the ads.

im missing out on some crazy deals just to wait for my first sale before i dive into some more buying.

any strategies to combat the wait? i remember someone mentioning posting multiple ads in a certain way....

besides that, my job is helping me get closer to the $10k goal.

Midas Touch

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Mar 31, 2014
I think I discovered the reason why I can't sell for the price I want. Let's say I want to sell something used for $50 and it costs $100 new. Instead of listing the item as $50 and getting lowballed to hell, I should list it as $80 or $90 in order to get that $50. If I'm lucky, maybe someone will offer me $80 for it.

I'll report back.

D

DeletedUser394

guhhhhh

still slackin on my craigslist hustle. i hate this 2 day wait to update the ads.

im missing out on some crazy deals just to wait for my first sale before i dive into some more buying.

any strategies to combat the wait? i remember someone mentioning posting multiple ads in a certain way....

besides that, my job is helping me get closer to the $10k goal.

I never really used craigslist much, but the site I was using (kijiji) I would just open up a word document and then write all the ads in there and save it.

Then when my ad left the first or second page of listings, I deleted the ad, pasted the saved copy, and then relisted a minute later.

D

DeletedUser394

Minor Milestone Monday.

Passed $7k in contributions this morning.

I also received a DRIP payment last week which is nice. (That's why the book value is off. I was paid 6.06 units for ~$135 for doing absolutely nothing).

Still down around $270, but eh.

Untitled.png

I've been really freaking lazy with respects to this.. need to get on that.

D

DeletedUser394

Finally got off my a$$ and listed some stuff.

I forgot about how you shouldn't list stuff late at night (it's 1:00am here). Not ten minutes later did I get my first scam text from some random area code.

Anyway, got some stuff up so going to keep this going.

smartman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Apr 7, 2013
Picked up some phones this week. Got inspired by this thread. I put them up on amazon like usual and have had both in and out of "pending order" for days. This is pissing me off to no end. Anyone ever deal with this before?

Sweeetland

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Jul 13, 2014
Manchester, United Kingdom
So back in September I'd thought I would give this hustling business a go.

Starting with £300 I set myself a target of £1,000 by christmas.

I've gone back home to my parents for the festive period so I've sold all my inventory off and now I have nearly £1,200!

It's not loads by any means but I am pleased with my efforts. I have only been dealing with iPads and in the new year I hope to progress on to iPhones, MacBooks and hopefully cars when I've got a little more cash. I honestly feel I could have worked harder and saved more too.

Thank you to the forum and threads like this one for giving me the know-how and motivation to take action.

Next Goal: £15k by next christmas!!!

Merry Christmas All :)

MakeItHappen

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Apr 12, 2012
Uploaded the excel document. Hope it Works now, I am really sorry :(

http://www.filedropper.com/productflipping
Looks pretty good!

2 questions:

1. Did you keep track of your hourly rate?
2. Why only sell via ebay? Have you tried to sell via classifieds? If the demand would be nearly the same you would save a lot on fees, boosting your hourly and profit. Also you should be able to get a lot more deals because your margin can be smaller if you don't have to pay fees.
For example: If a smartphone is selling for 300€ on avg. and you can get it for 270€ it wouldn't really be worth it if you plan on selling it via ebay because the fees would eat up all the profits. However if you flip it locally you would get 30€ profit.
You should be able to get a lot more deals and money this way.

RisingStars

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Sep 9, 2014
Germany
Honor of the table goes to Ryan Befort. He made it and I rewrote it with my deals and stuff.
I was really impressed too, so I made the table took me whole evening yesterday, was my first time ever making something with excel.

1. I am not really keeped track sadly but it is around 40€ atm. But I am not 100% sure because I only buy on facebook, so if I guess you know how it is :D
want to spend 10 min on Facebook and up sitting there 1h.
Also It cost really much time to make good ebay ads and stuff.
2. I am still in school and really busy (Thank good holidays atm) I also go to gym alot, cook etc. So I dont have so much time to meet up with people the whole day. Also I am living 45min away from the next big city (500k) Mine: 12k
So I just buy higher margin items and sell them on ebay cause I am free with the pickup time and when I go to post office (Every day still but at exact times)

Also I feel like that on Facebook people think they get phones for basically free xD
I watch the comment section and some even offer less then me. They are not resellers tho.

It would be possible to sell on classifieds maybe. I will try it, thanks for the tip. BUT: my second goal is to import stuff and become a big ebay seller, so I want to get as much knowledge about ebay as possible and get good feedback.

I am an ebay reseller officially even got this legal stuff from a lawyer, shop, etc. so I get more on ebay then the most others would for their old phones.

Moises

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Dec 13, 2014
Southern California
Just want to say thank you to the creator of this thread. I've bought some snes and n64 mario/zelda games for 5-10$ on a Facebook group. i can easily sell them for 20-40$ on eBay.

I'm also selling leggings for women which seem to sell fast. Me and my girlfriend bought some leggings in Los Angeles for 2$ each and sold them for 5$. I did not know the market but my gf did. I also got the product tax free since we know one of the workers. We bought a total of 100 leggings(200$). We sold them within 24 hours.

xkir0x

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Dec 18, 2012
I hope i can find a few good deals over x-mas ;). I going to try a few more areas too like clothing.

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
can someone tell me what obo means?
craigslist term

It means "I'm desperate for cash so offer me 50% of my asking price and I'll accept."

At least, that's what I take it to mean.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.