The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

8 Eyewear: From Idea, to Launch, to Growth (And Quitting the Job)

Idea threads

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
Does this seem high? Cause it sure seems high to me.

Our supplier got back to us with Mold charges.

Anyone have any insight into this?

her email below

----------------
Hi Mark,

For the fame mold charge is USD2500,and temple(arm) mold charge is USD1800,nosepad mold charge is USD1850,metal logo mold charge is USD250.

As there have your logo on mold,so we only can sell this model to you.unless your order can reach 2000 dozens one year,that we can make the free mold
charge for you .

--------------------

1850 USD for a frigin little piece of rubber on the nose?!!!!! that's nut bar! and why is the mold for the Metal pieces only 250 USD, you think that mold would be more.

so the molds total 6,400 USD

This puts me in a very bad spot if I can't talk these people down.

Because I simply don't have the money for that.

Plus 1200 units at about 4$ 4,800 USD

were now over 10K

Plus 1200 cases, 1200 cloth bags, 1200 box packaging. Still awaiting quote on this

Now I'm at a crossroads....

What to do, what to do.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

nitrousflame

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Aug 7, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
Does this seem high? Cause it sure seems high to me.

Our supplier got back to us with Mold charges.

Anyone have any insight into this?

Is this for an injection mold? The prices don't seem ridiculous from what I've seen. For instance, I just finished a project at my slowlane job for an automotive lubrication controller about the size of a hockey puck. It consists of two injection molded pieces that click together and pinch-hold a printed circuit board. The molds for each half of the enclosure cost just under $10k and they're also made in China.

Regarding the difference in cost between the plastic and metal pieces, how are they fabricating the metal parts?

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
yes, injection mold.

ok, that sounds fair enough. but still seems high to me.

not sure how there doing the metal. just know that its aluminum/chrome. I was referring to the cost difference between the Rubber nose tips, and the Metal pieces. was just curious why the rubber tip mold would be soo much more then the metal molds

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
well.

looks like they aren't budging on the mold prices.

they cost what they cost.

Hate to do this. But, I have to hack my model again, to lower costs.

seeing as it's 1,850$ for a little piece of rubber on the nose. I've decided to remove that. Not sure its worth the investment at this point. I can always re-add it later to other styles down the road.

So that will take me down to 4,550$ for molds.

1,620$ for Cases, Microfiber Pouch and Box Packaging.

Total = 6,170$

Still haven't gotten back to me on Unit price. But I was quoted before around 2.50 - 4.00

So, 1,200 at 4$ = 4,800

Estimate Total = 10,970$ Plus shipping import charges and other fees, I`m looking at about 12,000$ maybe a bit more.

Oh Boy. Much higher then my initial 8K, which was very hard to pool together.

This wall is gonna be hard to get over.

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
somehow, I managed to find the cash. yay me

Also, our Facebook page is now LIVE. > https://www.facebook.com/pages/8-Eyewear/170902183100512?ref=hl

And we've also decided to launch with 8 Colors. and just 1 style. for now anyway.

We're also accepting reservations, if anyone is interested let me know, and I'll lock you down for a pair. There's no obligation, I'll just set one aside for you.

You can either let me know here, or on Facebook.

You can see our 8 variations here> https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...073741830.170902183100512&type=1&l=6131df3fdb

I'll shoot you an email for confirmation afterwards.

Starting to get seriously pumped up. Exciting times.

cheers

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
See, it only took you ONE day! Not a huge wall, just a weak ole' dryrotted piece of plywood.

:icon_super:

Lol. Ya I guess. But it wasn't easy for me to do. Or I should say, ask.

But I had no choice. Come to far to stop now.

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA
My aunt had some molds made (in the US) for a couple of products that she sells, and they costs several thousand dollars each (just to make you feel better about spending the cash ;) )

TOS

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Jul 25, 2013
Speeed+

Btw. Checked out your Facebook page which was nice, and if you easily want to create additional pages with sing up forms or contest etc., i can recommend ShortStack. I’m using it for free now for my page, and its extremely quick and easy to set up and use.

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
huh. looks like we got 83 facebook Likes in one night.

That's pretty decent. Seeing as my Pixel Prints business got only like 50 in a year. guess that's a plus.

also.

we've reserved 40 plus orders so far. couple of them being 2 pairs.

one guy even reserved all 8, in every color.

crazy.

PopEmersen

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
May 2, 2011
Atlanta, GA, US
Have you looked into Stereolithography instead of injection molding? I found out about it by when I was researching starting my product. I have these links but I have not contacted these companies yet:

http://www.quickparts.com/LowVolumePrototypes/SLA.aspx
http://www.thomasnet.com/products/stereolithography-sla-80463102-1.html

Another thing for marketing, see if you can get into the urban market too. They love sunglasses and exotic cars, you might be able to even raise the price as a luxury brand.

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
Have you looked into Stereolithography instead of injection molding? I found out about it by when I was researching starting my product. I have these links but I have not contacted these companies yet:

http://www.quickparts.com/LowVolumePrototypes/SLA.aspx
http://www.thomasnet.com/products/stereolithography-sla-80463102-1.html

Another thing for marketing, see if you can get into the urban market too. They love sunglasses and exotic cars, you might be able to even raise the price as a luxury brand.

Can't really use SL, because we use a specific material.

What do you mean by Urban market?

PopEmersen

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
May 2, 2011
Atlanta, GA, US
Young, college, hip hop demographic, basically the same demographic that spends $200-400 on beats headphones and Ray Ban sunglasses.

The more I think about this, the more I think you should raise your price

V.1 is based on the R8 which retails $112,000
V.2 is based on the Aventador which retails at $400,000
You offer 7 layer polarization, virtually unbreakable lenses and frame, and they float.
Your design is cutting edge, to me that screams luxury/prestige brand.

Maybe raise the price to $199.99, but that's just my idea.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Music to my ears. Selling before the product is even out of production. :eusa_clap:

Maybe raise the price to $199.99, but that's just my idea.

They are really sharp designs and worthy of a luxury pricing strategy.

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
I'm a serious sunglasses buyer in the aspect that I buy high quality since my eyes are so very light sensitive...design is 2nd priority for me. I agree with the increase in price point. I would pay $200.

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
thanks guys.

hmmm. ya. thinking about a price hike maybe.

im just concerned that the people who have reserved will get pissed.

I guess I can 'grandfather' them in at the 120 price tag.

anyway, gonna think hard about this. before making the jump.

Thanks everyone !

PeteLife

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jul 5, 2011
BALTIMORE/DMV
I agree... this definitely deserve a price increase. You want your brand to be exclusive. People buy $200 shades all the time that doesn't have the aesthetic appeal and design as yours.

Great to hear you are already making sales before production. I would suggest creating a selfstarter to track and build demand for this project once you get the ball rolling a little more. I know earlier you mentioned that kickstarter recently stopped allowing sunglasses, so I think this is your best bet.

Lots of projects are taking this route now (Lockitron and Tile comes to mind since they already made millions in preorders doing this). Get the word out there from now that you have the newest and baddest sunglasses on the market. No need to wait until production to get yourself out there. You already got the design and the will to make this a success so you should be featured on a few online blogs by now. With the right marketing technique, this will definitely be huge!

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
I agree... this definitely deserve a price increase. You want your brand to be exclusive. People buy $200 shades all the time that doesn't have the aesthetic appeal and design as yours.

Great to hear you are already making sales before production. I would suggest creating a selfstarter to track and build demand for this project once you get the ball rolling a little more. I know earlier you mentioned that kickstarter recently stopped allowing sunglasses, so I think this is your best bet.

Lots of projects are taking this route now (Lockitron and Tile comes to mind since they already made millions in preorders doing this). Get the word out there from now that you have the newest and baddest sunglasses on the market. No need to wait until production to get yourself out there. You already got the design and the will to make this a success so you should be featured on a few online blogs by now. With the right marketing technique, this will definitely be huge!

thanks Pete !

I'll def have a look into this.

cheers,

PopEmersen

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
May 2, 2011
Atlanta, GA, US
thanks guys.

hmmm. ya. thinking about a price hike maybe.

I guess I can 'grandfather' them in at the 120 price tag.

anyway, gonna think hard about this. before making the jump.

Thanks everyone !

I would set a date for the price hike, basically if you ordered BEFORE 12am XX/XX/13, you get them for $120.

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
I would set a date for the price hike, basically if you ordered BEFORE 12am XX/XX/13, you get them for $120.

yup ;) thats exactly what we were thinking

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

DO NOT change the price for those who have already committed. This is a bad way to start. If you offered them at $X and people accepted, you need to sell them at that price.

Establish your current price as the "INTRO" price, or a "LAUNCH" price -- give a deadline for orders and after the deadline, your luxury price takes over. Whatever you do, do not change the price to those who have already committed to your product. There is no harm at selling a few dozen at $100 and a few million at $300. LOL.

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
DO NOT change the price for those who have already committed. This is a bad way to start. If you offered them at $X and people accepted, you need to sell them at that price.

Establish your current price as the "INTRO" price, or a "LAUNCH" price -- give a deadline for orders and after the deadline, your luxury price takes over. Whatever you do, do not change the price to those who have already committed to your product. There is no harm at selling a few dozen at $100 and a few million at $300. LOL.

yup! totally agree ;)

PopEmersen

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
May 2, 2011
Atlanta, GA, US
Yeah, you should totally raise the price. Oakley polarized sunglasses start at around $200.

http://www.oakley.com/store/collections/mens-polarized-sunglasses

Also, the packaging of these should be above and beyond the rest. Like they should come in a frickin briefcase, like a cool matte black or chrome, sturdy briefcase. Remember Pulpl Fiction when the briefcase opened and all you saw was a bright light? It needs to be that epic.

These have to be marketed like the cars they are based off of.

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
If you can execute your design and deliver on your promises, I see you doing very well with these. Glad to be a part of the thread. Can't wait to see the first real prototype.

Unfortunately, I can't buy these online, because I have to see the sunglasses on me before I buy. Can you offer free returns/exchanges (similar to what Zappos did intially) if you're going to start by selling online only?

Edit: I bet you can sell the shit out of these on Facebook.

LibertyForMe

Habits pave the path to success.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Feb 5, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
I was thinking about this this morning as I was listening to Predictably Irrational by Dan Ariely. He talks about how prices have anchors, and the first price we contemplate becomes a reference point for all future decisions.

He also talked about how some Pearl Dealer singlehanded made black pearls valuable when no one cared about them. He did it by positioning them in the best shops in NY with expensive jewelry and pricing them ridiculously high.

You might want to think about pricing at more than $200 even. If you get your product side by side with some luxury cars and watches, I don't see why this can't be the most ludicrously priced pair of sunglasses ever. Get some Lambo dealers to showcase them, get them in some car mags, and get some real fancy jewelry stores to display them next to the swiss watches.

You ought to listen or read the book, it is awesome so far.

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
Yeah, you should totally raise the price. Oakley polarized sunglasses start at around $200.

http://www.oakley.com/store/collections/mens-polarized-sunglasses

Also, the packaging of these should be above and beyond the rest. Like they should come in a frickin briefcase, like a cool matte black or chrome, sturdy briefcase. Remember Pulpl Fiction when the briefcase opened and all you saw was a bright light? It needs to be that epic.

These have to be marketed like the cars they are based off of.

We're considering the price raise strongly.

It's a difficult decision. And needs a lot of thought.

I'm working on packaging right now. Through the same supplier. i have to stay within my budget, if I had 25K to play with, then it would be different. I have to make the best of what I have ;)

We'll have nice box packaging. The box will be a matte black surface, soft touch. With nice graphics.

Inside the box, will be a hard shell zipper case with our logo on it. Inside the zipper there be another soft microfiber pouch, which the glasses will be in. The microfiber pouch will also sport our logo. We'll also have some other goodies in the box. Like stickers, discount cards, etc.

In the future, I'll look to better packaging, but for now. This is all we can afford to do. So all I can do is make the best of it I can.

As for the car thing. I never intended to have these 'based' off cars. The cars were only a inspiration factor at the time. For example, the next style I'm working on, is inspired from Vitaly's artwork shown here. Obviosuly not gonna go crazy detailed, it's just inspiration.

http://www.bulgarov.com/blackphoenix_bonus-entry.html

If you can execute your design and deliver on your promises, I see you doing very well with these. Glad to be a part of the thread. Can't wait to see the first real prototype.

Unfortunately, I can't buy these online, because I have to see the sunglasses on me before I buy. Can you offer free returns/exchanges (similar to what Zappos did intially) if you're going to start by selling online only?

Edit: I bet you can sell the shit out of these on Facebook.

Thanks Jason.

I'm going to try and setup a good return policy. And make it as easy as possible.

Ya I agree, we're gonna hit Facebook hard upon launch ;)

I was thinking about this this morning as I was listening to Predictably Irrational by Dan Ariely. He talks about how prices have anchors, and the first price we contemplate becomes a reference point for all future decisions.

He also talked about how some Pearl Dealer singlehanded made black pearls valuable when no one cared about them. He did it by positioning them in the best shops in NY with expensive jewelry and pricing them ridiculously high.

You might want to think about pricing at more than $200 even. If you get your product side by side with some luxury cars and watches, I don't see why this can't be the most ludicrously priced pair of sunglasses ever. Get some Lambo dealers to showcase them, get them in some car mags, and get some real fancy jewelry stores to display them next to the swiss watches.

Interesting for sure.

Again, we're considering the price hike.

Ultimately, the price will depend on what our samples look like. But from the samples they have sent us of there designs. The quality is def there. And there strong. The lenses are nice too. So, we'll see. difficult decision.

could either kill us or make us stronger. who knows.

Thanks ;)

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

Awesome. 600 bucks.

Free replacement forever.

Mrs. BRKb

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Apr 27, 2008
USA
He talks about how prices have anchors, and the first price we contemplate becomes a reference point for all future decisions...

If you get your product side by side with some luxury cars and watches, I don't see why this can't be the most ludicrously priced pair of sunglasses ever.

Context.

Excellent!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.