The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

76,068 Ads Served, $0.20 Revenue Earned From WordPress , Is This Normal?

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

Avectionism

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Mar 4, 2023
As my title of my posts says, one of my posts went viral on reddit, reaching the front page, etc and attracting around about 18,000 visitors mostly from USA, Canada, UK, Australia and the EU so all western first world countries, according to Wordpress during the time the article has been published, 76,068 Ads have been served on my website (potentially this maybe includes a few hundred ads before this article was published) and I have only earned $0.20 for the tens of thousands of ads shown on my site. Someone has earned money from my site and currently, unfortunately it hasn't been me.

Is this inline with Wordpress expectations, I have had a previous website with Wordpress since August 2021 which was able to get quite a lot of traction from reddit and other websites and the CPM from that wasn't fantastic but it was better than this.

What should I do? I've read quite a few Wordpress forum posts where people have the same issue as me and get responses ranging from their content isn't worthy of making money to that's just how it is and quit complaining.

I'm at a loss at what to do after multiple attempts to create a website with engaging content, readable and sharable articles, around about one hundred and eighty eight thousand page views and a number of viral articles, I have made $81.54 from Wordpress Since August 2021 from two sites and their is an $100 withdrawal threshold.

Do I double down and keep on posting, creating content, etc to potentially get something going or is that just the sunk cost fallacy of spending so much time towards something for it to be worthless?

And anyone who is thinking of starting a website or blog and earning advertisement money please take this post as a cautionary tale as your site will most likely be used by Wordpress to make money for them and not at all for you.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

monnffffiiiiiii

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
251%
Oct 16, 2022
Ads is what people used to earn money with in 2010.

Everyone got adblock now. If a website asks me to turn off adblock, I just go on another website.

Today blogs earn money with affiliate marketing, product sales, coaching/consulting, newsletter sponsoring, and channel diversification (podcast/youtube + ads).

Now, I have a blog myself so I dont want to say that we're gonna get killed by ChatGPT and Substack but...it kinda seems like we are.

I earn money on my blog with product sales, affiliate marketing, and channel diversification. I made a bit less than $2k last month. Nothing crazy, but it's more than $0.20.

Forget about ads.

A

Anon3x156

No this is absolutely anormal.
You should pay them because they allow you to show their ads on your website.

Xavier X

Gold Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Jan 1, 2016
These United States
@Avectionism

What kind of Wordpress setup do you have? Self-hosted or wordpress.com?
What type of ads are you running? Adsense or what?

Depending on your setup, there's a possibility you have malware on your website designed to redirect and steal your ad clicks. In cases like this, even though the ad is served, the malware can overlay an invisible redirect on it, which just takes the visitor to the hacker's desired destination.

As a result, the user will think they have arrived where the ad they clicked sent them. And on your end, you will get very little to no clicks, because the ads aren't really clickable, with an invisible overlay on them.

Install a malware scan plugin on your site and run it, to check.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Avectionism

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Mar 4, 2023
Ads is what people used to earn money with in 2010.

Everyone got adblock now. If a website asks me to turn off adblock, I just go on another website.

Today blogs earn money with affiliate marketing, product sales, coaching/consulting, newsletter sponsoring, and channel diversification (podcast/youtube + ads).

Now, I have a blog myself so I dont want to say that we're gonna get killed by ChatGPT and Substack but...it kinda seems like we are.

I earn money on my blog with product sales, affiliate marketing, and channel diversification. I made a bit less than $2k last month. Nothing crazy, but it's more than $0.20.

Forget about ads.
Thankyou for your response, this makes me Think of what else I can do with my site instead of just ads so thankyou.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.