The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

25yo doctor, not loving life, starting a men's grooming business

Ciaran

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Aug 18, 2013
Hey guys,

As per title, I'm a 25 year old newly qualified doctor. The job involves working long hours for mediocre pay after 5 years of training, and being shit on by rude and arrogant seniors.

I love medicine, but I don't want working as a doctor here in the UK to be my day job. I have one life to live and I want to reach the very top with it, because nothing in life hurts more than regret.

To that end I recently begun working on a startup with a friend of mine. He is a biotechnician and similarly hates his job. His family is wealthy and his father is supplying the initial investment that we can not foot ourselves.

The startup is a line of men's grooming products. Our angle is that our products will be inspired by natural ingredients from a particular part of the world. We have a great name and a great site and we have recently paid for a major cosmetics manufacturer here in the UK to begin formulating our first product: a moisturiser.

From the branding point of view we are aiming to differentiate ourselves by being more in-your-face masculine than the competition who are either men's branches of major women's brands (Dove, Clinique etc.) or smaller men's brands that whilst not "feminine" are not particularly masculine either and aim for the minimalist gender-neutral vibe eg. Bulldog and Kyoku.

I don't want to spill many more beans because obviously we have to have some trade secrets. But I would love to hear from you guys about how you think we can make this business work.

Our roadmap looks like this:

October-November: During this period the initial moisturiser formula will be developed and we will be sent samples

December-January: We test the sample and ask for various tweaks until it's just right

January-May: The product goes through all the necessary testing, this is the laborious and expensive part. All the claims eg. anti-aging are proven here. Our moisturiser is our flagship and initially our only product, so we are marketing it as an all in one that will cover all bases. During this time we will also be ordering in the packaging from a Chinese manufacturer.

June-July: We begin selling, primarily online via. our own webstore. Our first order will be of 2500 units.

In terms of marketing we will have a small budget, around £10k maximum. Our plan is to make that 10k act more like 100k by attempting to make our ads gain some virality online. That means playing it dirty; sex sells, controversy sells, cheekiness sells, we will attempt all 3 whilst maintaining a level of class above the "jokey" men's brands such as Lynx.

So any advice on either the cosmetics industry or on the marketing of such a product within our budget would be very welcome!!

It's time to set my life on a track I actually want it to be on. I want to be self employed, I want more free time to pursue my own interests outside of work and I want money. At the same time I'm ready to work hard for this, I've worked hard to become a doctor so I believe I can work hard to make this work.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ciaran

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Aug 18, 2013
It's a multi million pound business in the UK alone

JPBB

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Aug 24, 2011
Texas
You said you're paying a major cosmetics company to formulate a moisturizer for you? Why aren't you crafting it yourself from scratch? Perhaps I misunderstood.

Ciaran

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Aug 18, 2013
Formulating cosmetics requires training and experience in cosmetic formulation, a fully staffed laboratory stocked with expensive equipment and a huge variety of different raw ingredients, most of which are not available outside of wholesale.

Zorro

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Aug 18, 2013
So you take the dark wooden cases?

Did I understand right..
You actually dont want to be a doctor.
You want to be an entrpreneur with your own male cosmetic line?

Do it OP , get em and breath deeply into your balls
when hard decisions are comming up.

Ciaran

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Aug 18, 2013
So you take the dark wooden cases?

How do you mean? Miscer?

Did I understand right..
You actually dont want to be a doctor.
You want to be an entrpreneur with your own male cosmetic line?

Do it OP , get em and breath deeply into your balls
when hard decisions are comming up.

I want to practice medicine but part time, full time it's too F*cking restrictive and stressful mayn.

Manthatmows

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 8, 2013
Check this out, its an interview with the founder of beardbrand.com. Third one down.

http://thefoundation.com/welcome

Quick question. So Felix Dennis, in his book How to get Rich says something like, (paraphrasing)

There is a lot of money out there, you just need to put your name on some of it.

Do you think this quote is more to do with mindset, so that people will realize that it is in fact possible for a human to make a large amount of money, or is it a statement about how its really just that easy if you just decide to be one of the .01% of humans that follows the steps to have a product in the marketplace with their name on it.

What your doing reminds me of the latter a little bit.

Smart guy gauges market opportunity--->finds out what the market is missing and what marketing messages are working--->takes necessary technical steps to put a new product in the marketplace---> rinse and repeat!

I'm not really articulating this very well, but hopefully I've presented at least a gestalt of what I'm getting at!

Anyway I think its a wonderful idea.

My wife is an RN, and I own a corporate housing company.

She is starting to hate nursing and I'm getting burned out on my current business, so we have had many conversations about how to combine her credibility and expertise as a member of the worlds most trusted profession with what business acumen I might have gained to create something that will allow us to serve humanity in a more impactful way and give us freedom at the same time.

Ahhg. sorry for the paragraph about myself. Any thoughts?

Ciaran

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Aug 18, 2013
I think it becomes harder to be true to a single marketing message initially when you have a budget like ours, we are basically going to have to try different angles and see what sticks. I'd love to plaster classy ads and videos on billboards and TV, but the reality is that we are relying almost entirely on going viral with low budget, highly provocative ads that may push the boundaries of our brand identity a little.

But that's a challenge I'm willing to tackle!

JPBB

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Aug 24, 2011
Texas

Ciaran

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Aug 18, 2013
Here's a story of a pharmacist who created a successful skin product by himself.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boudreaux's_Butt_Paste

I have a hard time believing a dr. And a biotechnologist can't. That's meant as encouragement; not criticism. :)

Pharmacy =/= Medicine or Biotechnology

Also this was a far more simple product that modern day cosmetics, developed in the early 70s... That didn't become successful until about 30 years later.

If I could do it I would but it would be a bit like Jesse cooking meth vs. Heisenberg with all his equipment and expertise, and ultimately far more expensive too. Formulation isn't particularly expensive it's the testing that comes afterwards that is.

Genium

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Jan 6, 2013
Will other guys actually buy moisturizer??

For sure a decent size market. I use a brand called "Anthony - Logistics For Men" and I find the products quite nice. Majority of men don't buy it I would guess.

D

DeletedUser9

Cosmetics and beauty products in general (supplements, vitamins, hair products) is a very tough industry to get into if you don't have a HUGE marketing budget.

The mark ups are so high, probably one of the highest within a legal industry thats why the competition is so high. Some products are made for 10$ and retail at 300$.

Being unique is the key to making it in any crowded industry, the only cosmetic company I have heard of not through some TV ad would be LaMer because their brand personifies high-end premium skincare and expensive products.

If you are going to make it in cosmetics start building your brand now.

You can always switch industry, remember "gold rushes are rarely found in old mines".

Ciaran

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Aug 18, 2013
Cosmetics and beauty products in general (supplements, vitamins, hair products) is a very tough industry to get into if you don't have a HUGE marketing budget.

The mark ups are so high, probably one of the highest within a legal industry thats why the competition is so high. Some products are made for 10$ and retail at 300$.

Being unique is the key to making it in any crowded industry, the only cosmetic company I have heard of not through some TV ad would be LaMer because their brand personifies high-end premium skincare and expensive products.

If you are going to make it in cosmetics start building your brand now.

You can always switch industry, remember "gold rushes are rarely found in old mines".

On the plus side, the men's side of the industry is a lot less mature and plenty of major men's brands eg. Kyoku and LabSeries or Bulldog in the UK have never aired TV ads and have relatively small marketing budgets.

Our aim is to leverage our marketing budget by being provocative and controversial in our ads and attempting to make them go viral to some degree.

D11FYY

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Mar 13, 2013
Glasgow, Scotland
I'm interested in buying this product but first thoughts are straight away is what price.
I live in the UK and I see that an average sized moisturizer for men varies between £3-£12.
I personally wouldn't pay anymore than £6 but I see guys vigorously using moisturizer up the gym.
If your bringing out a standard moisturizer price is key to sample it get interest.
Niche idea ; id say bring out a post-gym/workout Moisturizer I work hard and honestly the sweat stings my pours, lips feel dry so its just an idea for you.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.