The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Gary Halbert 30 day challenge Copywriting Group

DogsBreakfast

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
335%
Mar 5, 2015
Just read Scientific Advertising and have started reading the Boron Letters. I don't see this as possible to do within 30days since it would take me 30 days alone to read all the books. Going to start copying some of the articles while I read a bit everyday!

The only book I couldn't find was 7-steps to Freedom does anyone have it/could send it to me?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

William

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Feb 15, 2012
7 Steps To Freedom II

This 2nd version is an updated version.

Views on this book from entrepreneurs:

"One of the best books on direct marketing."
"Some very solid business principles and formulas in it."
"Most interesting is the biography part."
"A college textbook. It is boring. It does contain some copywriting tips."

I thought it was boring too. It did have some good copy tips. He talked about his direct marketing system throughout most of the book. He also talks about his struggles and roadblocks.

I think it's a good book, but most of the others are better. This book is so long too. I haven't read Breakthrough Advertising yet, but of all the books, I found Tested Advertising Methods to be the best.

marklov

It is a Tiger That Devours Me but I am The Tiger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Mar 30, 2014
Are you kidding me?

Other than breakthrough advertising 7 steps to freedom is the best book on the list .

Do some research on the book and some of the guys who are using the system,
which is a complete breakdown of how to bring a product to market.... said companies are
bringing in hundreds of millions in revenue using the same system in the book.

Many people want a step 1 2 3 to success and millions well 7 steps to freedom is what THAT looks like,
dry, callous and methodological

That said & steps to freedom isn't a book about copywriting per se but a book about running a successful mail order/direct mail business, basically a book on business.

Now if you want to whore yourself out on upwork I can understand not wanting anything to do with the book but if you have a product that you want to bring to market the system in the book is good as gold or if you would like to get on with a real company looking to pay you a 6 figure retainer and not some cheap start up, the book will show you how the business works.

Breakthrough advertising = Identifying the markets.
7 Steps to freedom = bring products to that market.

Last edited:

NonMagicalGenie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Dec 13, 2014
Texas
How do I get a hold of Breakthrough Advertising? I bought all the other books for The Gary Halbert challenge already. Just don't know how to get a hold of Breakthrough Advertising by Eugene Schwartz. Plan on doing the challenge and freelance on Upwork as I go through the challenge; while also incorporating Lex's 15 day challenge.

BlakeIC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 9, 2014
Not Washington

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011

Drewskay

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Jan 11, 2016
Atlanta
Just started the challenge on Sunday. So far I've completed Scientific Advertising and I'm about a third of the way through with The Robert Collier Letter Book. Hopefully I can complete the challenge within 60 days. 30 days just ain't happening lol.

Drewskay

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Jan 11, 2016
Atlanta
Finished the Robert Collier Letter Book yesterday. Onto tested advertising methods. Anyone want to join me?

Drewskay

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Jan 11, 2016
Atlanta
So I wrapped up Tested Advertising Methods today. Definitely enjoyed that one more than the Robert Collier Letter Books. Started on How to Write Good Advertisements.

Chris Veal

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Dec 16, 2015
Louisville KY
Due to hijacking another thread I decided to create my own thread.

This thread is for every one who is interested on taking Gary Halbert 30 day challenge to be a world class copywriter. The intention is to follow gary halberts way to the letter without deviation, and, to keep each other motivated. If you are in on this holla out in the thread to let me know you are here. Just say, "I'm in" :)

Feel free check in periodically to ask questions, participate, motivate and, make others accountable including myself.

If you dont know already, we are starting from Gary's premise that anyone can be a good copywriter in 30 days.Read Link Below:
http://www.thegaryhalbertletter.com/Newsletters/zfkj_hands_on_experience.htm

Here are the newsletter back issues and boron letters that you will need that is spoken of in above link.
http://www.trafficplusconversion.com/1345/gary-halbert-letter/

Here are the ads that gary halbert mentions that you will need from first link.
http://theryanmcgrath.com/2010/04/gary-halberts-favorite-ads/

NOTE: When you buy TESTED ADVERTISING METHODS by John Caples buy the 4th edition or earlier.
NOTE: When you buy 7 Steps To Freedom by Ben Suarez buy the 1st edition (if you can find it)
NOTE: When you buy The Robert Collier Letter Book by Robert Collier DO NOT buy KINDLE VERSION(its crap). You can buy the authentic 1937 version of the book from the heirs of Robert Collier: http://www.robertcollierpublications.com/page/by-robert-collier#letters
Disclaimer: I haven't purchased from their site I cant give you any purchase feedback.

Anyway, Lets try to do this as if he was over our shoulder. In case you dont know who Gary Halbert was, he was universally recognized as a legend in the world of copywriting. Gary died in 2007 RIP.

P.S. Do you mind if I call us "The Unofficial Disciples Of The Gary Halbert Way" , (TUDOG< for short :) )? Lets keep the torch lit!!!

UPDATE: A late addition: I am not sure if it should be a part of this challenge so I am going to leave it OPTIONAL at your discretion. Here is Boron Letters 2.0 written by Gary's son. I dont have all the details, but, you are free to take a look at the link below.
http://www.thegaryhalbertletter.com/1FOTGHLFramesetBoron20.html
Great stuff, oldscool. Thanks!

Drewskay

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Jan 11, 2016
Atlanta
Finished How to Write a Good Advertisement last night. Onto the the back issues of the Gary Halbert Letter. I think I'm going to start copying some sales letters now as well.

Chris Veal

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Dec 16, 2015
Louisville KY
Finished How to Write a Good Advertisement last night. Onto the the back issues of the Gary Halbert Letter. I think I'm going to start copying some sales letters now as well.

good idea. good practice.

Left ium

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Feb 24, 2016
Seoul, Korea
Can anyone invite me to the Dropbox for this thread? Or share some specific files:

Here's my progress:
  • Scientific Advertising
  • The Gary Halbert Letter
  • The Boron Letter
  • The Robert Collier Letter Book
  • Tested Advertising Methods
  • How To Write A Good Advertisement
  • The Lazy Man's Way To Riches
  • Break-Through Advertising
  • 7 Steps To Freedom

Last edited by a moderator:

Drewskay

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Jan 11, 2016
Atlanta
Can anyone invite me to the Dropbox for this thread? Or share some specific files:

Here's my progress:
  • Scientific Advertising
  • The Gary Halbert Letter
  • The Boron Letter
  • The Robert Collier Letter Book
  • Tested Advertising Methods
  • How To Write A Good Advertisement
  • The Lazy Man's Way To Riches
  • Break-Through Advertising
  • 7 Steps To Freedom

Here's the link for Breakthrough Advertising
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uxh20k1kh...ugh-Advertising-by-Eugene-M-Schwartz.pdf?dl=0

Last edited by a moderator:

Ben S.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
251%
Aug 2, 2015
Los Angeles, California

mija

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Mar 24, 2016
Hi everybody. I joined the forum toe participate in this thread.

I just read Scientific advertising and I'm looking for a good electronic edition (I live in South America and had troubles buying books from amazon) of the Robert Colliers Letter. The ones that I've found doesnt seem reliable. Inhttp://www.robertcollierletterbooks.com/ Carl Galletti said:

So, I checked each edition and here's what I discovered.
The 1937 edition has 59 illustrations, 25 large ones, 6 medium ones and 28 small ones. The 1950 edition has only 20 illustrations, 4 large, 3 medium and 13 small.

How important are these extra illustrations? I think very. Here's why.

Although both books have sample sales letters, only the 1937 edition has extensive illustrations of what the actual mailing pieces looked like, pictures included. I think that's very important because it shows you what the package looks like to the reader.

Anything else? Yes! Some of the words are different. The 1937 edition uses actual names of many of the companies that did the mailings. For example, The Review of Reviews was one mentioned. This makes it possible for you to track down and do further research if you want to. At the very least it's more accurate. The 1950 edition substituted "magazine" in the place of "Review of Reviews." This is just one example of many.

Also, some of the original text is missing in the 1950 edition. One example I came across was a letter by and about Robert Collier himself. It spanned four pages and was entirely left out of the 1950 edition but was included in full in the 1937 edition. A very valuable addition indeed.

I didn't check every word in both editions but I'm sure there are other instances like this.

The three missing chapters? Not terribly important in my opinion. One is called "Life Begins at???" and is about health related sales letters. Another is about "Showmanship" in writing letters. And the last is about "Miscellaneous Products." No big loss in these three chapters and plenty to gain from what was lost in the 1950 edit.

Why did the publisher make the deletions in the 1950 edition? I don't know for sure but the 1937 edition is copyrighted by Robert Collier himself while the 1950 edition is copyrighted by the publisher. My guess is that the publisher wanted to put in the three chapters to include what they thought was more "modern" material. But they didn't want the extra pages.

So, many of the illustrations and possibly some of the sample letters got axed in the 1950 edition. And remember, the names of the companies were, in many cases, made generic. I think they screwed up. I prefer the 1937 edition.

I've found 3 editions. 2 apparently from the 1937 edition (with the 60 illustrations), but with typos and paragraphs issues, and one from the 1950 edition, with 20 illustrations)

Anyway, If somebody has the 1937 edition without typos, I'll be glad to have it.

I'm also looking for an electronic version of a 4th or earlier edition of "Tested Advertising Methods" by John Caples.

If anyone is interested I have PDFs of

"Scientific Advertising" by Claude Hopkins (I also have the audiobook)

"How To Write A Good Advertisement" by Vic Schwab

"The Gary Halbert Letter" (all back issues) by Gary Halbert

"The Boron Letters" by Gary Halbert

"The Lazy Man's Way to Riches" by Joe Karbo

"Break-Through Advertising" by Eugene M. Schwartz

"7-Steps To Freedom" by Ben Suarez

Grinning-Jack

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Mar 8, 2015
All those books is not a problem. Those books are great indeed. However, the world has very changed since some of the books were written. So, I won't never hire a guy who sounds like an old newspaper.
If you need in some of those ones still, drop me your message.
All the best. LOL

fastlanebob

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 23, 2016

Hey, I also joined the forum for this thread. Would you be able to send me the PDF for 7-Steps to Freedom? Thanks.

sharkas

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Nov 5, 2015
France
Well guys, I'm on it. I have read all the books since last week, except "Tested advertising method 4th" and "7 steps to freedom", they take some times to ship towards France.. :)
Anyway, does any of you have read them again for takes notes ? I think i'm only gonna read again Breakthrough Advertising, maybe Tested advertising method is he is so good that people say.

So much books to read, I spend my days reading, copying letters, reading topics here .. And that 870 pages 7 steps... damn..

Good luck to everyone

vshetty.vs

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Sep 11, 2014
Pune

I just read Scientific advertising and I'm looking for a good electronic edition (I live in South America and had troubles buying books from amazon) of the Robert Colliers Letter. The ones that I've found doesnt seem reliable. Inhttp://www.robertcollierletterbooks.com/ Carl Galletti said:

The 1937 edition has 59 illustrations, 25 large ones, 6 medium ones and 28 small ones. The 1950 edition has only 20 illustrations, 4 large, 3 medium and 13 small.

Although both books have sample sales letters, only the 1937 edition has extensive illustrations of what the actual mailing pieces looked like, pictures included. I think that's very important because it shows you what the package looks like to the reader.

Anything else? Yes! Some of the words are different. The 1937 edition uses actual names of many of the companies that did the mailings. For example, The Review of Reviews was one mentioned. This makes it possible for you to track down and do further research if you want to. At the very least it's more accurate. The 1950 edition substituted "magazine" in the place of "Review of Reviews." This is just one example of many.

Also, some of the original text is missing in the 1950 edition. One example I came across was a letter by and about Robert Collier himself. It spanned four pages and was entirely left out of the 1950 edition but was included in full in the 1937 edition. A very valuable addition indeed.

I didn't check every word in both editions but I'm sure there are other instances like this.

The three missing chapters? Not terribly important in my opinion. One is called "Life Begins at???" and is about health related sales letters. Another is about "Showmanship" in writing letters. And the last is about "Miscellaneous Products." No big loss in these three chapters and plenty to gain from what was lost in the 1950 edit.

Why did the publisher make the deletions in the 1950 edition? I don't know for sure but the 1937 edition is copyrighted by Robert Collier himself while the 1950 edition is copyrighted by the publisher. My guess is that the publisher wanted to put in the three chapters to include what they thought was more "modern" material. But they didn't want the extra pages.

So, many of the illustrations and possibly some of the sample letters got axed in the 1950 edition. And remember, the names of the companies were, in many cases, made generic. I think they screwed up. I prefer the 1937 edition.

I've found 3 editions. 2 apparently from the 1937 edition (with the 60 illustrations), but with typos and paragraphs issues, and one from the 1950 edition, with 20 illustrations)

Anyway, If somebody has the 1937 edition without typos, I'll be glad to have it.

I'm also looking for an electronic version of a 4th or earlier edition of "Tested Advertising Methods" by John Caples.

Could you please send the books to me.. My email is vshetty.vs@gmail.com.

Daniyal Anjum

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Jan 2, 2014
I'd greatly appreciate a link to the dropbox.

I cannot find the first version of 7 steps to freedom and the 4th edition of Tested Advertising Methods.

I have purchased and read every other books on the list.

abstructs

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Dec 18, 2015
Caledon, Ontario

I'm interested!

sdemierre

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Sep 30, 2016
Hi guys,
I´m following this to the letter (or as close as possible)

This is my update, i´ve been working on it for 10 days

1. Scientific Advertising by Claude Hopkins - done
  2. The Robert Collier Letter Book by Robert Collier - almost done
  3. Tested Advertising Methods by John Caples - Not yet
  4. How To Write A Good Advertisement by Vic Schwab - - done
  5. The Gary Halbert Letter (all back issues) by Gary Halbert - Not yet
  6. The Boron Letters by Gary Halbert - - done
  7. The Lazy Man's Way to Riches by Joe Karbo - done
  8. Break-Through Advertising by Eugene M. Schwartz - done
  9. 7-Steps To Freedom by Ben Suarez - Not yet
I´m currently writing the stock advertising, which takes a while.

I´m surprised at how much wisdom is compressed on these books. And how many "advertisers" haven´t read them or make errors on this.

I´d love to be in touch with people that are writing / plan on writing ads on foreign languages!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.