The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What laptop have you got?

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
That's why I opting for the imac and a standing desk something like this:rockon:
standing-up-while-working.jpg

My wife asked me if I wanted a FitBit. I kind of laughed. I am sitting most of the day.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
Thx, this is a great point, i'll make an effort to raise my laptop a bit higher and utilize eye level screens while at my desk. I'll also check into a standing desk. Just got a killer new office suite too! I"m guessing there might be a desk top adjustable work surface/computer/screen stand that'll work.

I can't use laptops anymore. I spent too many years working and then playing online poker on laptops. Now I get excruciating neck and shoulder ache whenever I'm on a laptop for even 10 minutes . So much so I have to see a physio to get unknotted.

My chiropractor tells me he gets a lot of youngsters in now who display the signs of whiplash. Their necks have lost their natural curve from looking down at laptop screens all day long. This curve acts like suspension for our heads when we're walking along. He says things are getting steadily worse due to smartphone usage - because people bend their head down even further now, towards their bellies even.

Just be careful using laptops and smartphones too much.

JordanS

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Aug 8, 2014
13" Macbook Air, 8GB Ram, 256GB SSD.

It's small, speedy, and more than enough to do my day to day business / web development needs.

I was usually the guy to just get a cheap laptop and put linux on it, but I really enjoyed the switch to mac. Good build quality, good OS, and everything works out of the box.

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015

Equilibrium

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Jun 14, 2015
Desktop only. I started out with a 2003 computer running windows XP. Wiped the OS and installed Lubuntu a very light linux distro. Spent hours installing drivers, & making everything work. Used it for about three months, when it started failing I wiped it and worked with Damn Small Linux.. not on the hard drive, through USB mount. When it started buffering and lagging I brought it into the PC repair center for ram upgrade. While the guy was digging around in drawers looking for parts, I started looking at the computers. Decided then and there to buy a gaming machine, since they are built for high-med end graphics. Walked out with a Raidmax and its been running smoothly for a year. :D I also yanked my TV off the wall and use that as a 40inch monitor.

Its not portable. I'm thinking of getting a Panasonic tough tablet

Last edited:

LibertyForMe

Habits pave the path to success.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Feb 5, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
I got a Toshiba Satellite P755 like 3 or so years ago. I think I paid like $650 or so. It has an i5 processor, 640GB HD, and 6GB RAM. It is getting kind of outdated now, and gets hot when I run resource intensive programs, but it is a good laptop. It is pretty beefy, but I wanted a big screen. Also, my favorite feature by far is a backlit keyboard. It is so nice to be able to type at night, and a lot of cheaper computers these days do not have this feature. It is probably my favorite thing.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2394582,00.asp

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
The thing with the Chromebooks are, they do all I need, but don't do everything I want.

The list is still looking very similar to the one I started with, can you put Windows or OSX (or whatever its called these days) onto a chromebook? If you can, we've got a winner.

I can go lightweight on the HDD but not at the expense of being able to use pc/mac programs.

SenGracic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 12, 2015
Canada
I have one cheap Acer E1 series laptop that I paid like 400$ new but doing the job for 2 years now. I was able to run Fruit Loops 12, Ableton Live on it without lagging too much which was impressive ( but let's say I was just trying out a few things and didn't had many plug-ins running at the same time ).

I also have a Macbook Air ( well it's my girlfriends but I use it too ) and I'm not disappointed but I do prefer Windows when it comes down to computers.
I will try to work more with the Macbook so maybe it will be my #1 choice in a few months.

I wait until my laptop dies to take my final decision but it will be between Macbook Air 13' or Dell's XPS series.

EDIT : SSD is life.

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
Black Friday is approaching, I'll be doing my business then I think.

And no, that doesn't mean I'll be standing in line. :D

exclusives88

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
May 28, 2014
I hate my macbook pro that I purchased in 2009. I just purchased a used Lenovo T440S with 12GB of Ram, 500 GB hard drive.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.