The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What book are you reading? Right now. Post up!

MakeItHappen

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Apr 12, 2012
That's really unfortunate. How to Get Rich was a fantastic read and I would have loved to have seen some new content instead of a rehash.
True but I love the format of the book. It's straight no BS knowledge from a billionaire.
I read a couple of the 88 steps every day and it doesn't even take 5 minutes. It's a great book to read over and over again to keep me focused. Like a little daily mentor session with Mr. Felix Dennis. :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

M&A

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jan 13, 2015
Paris
True but I love the format of the book. It's straight no BS knowledge from a billionaire.
I read a couple of the 88 steps every day and it doesn't even take 5 minutes. It's a great book to read over and over again to keep me focused. Like a little daily mentor session with Mr. Felix Dennis. :)

Both his books are really eye opening the main takeaway is:

"Ownership isn't the most important thing in the getting of money, it is the only thing"

That quote is still in my head 4 years after reading it. Great piece of work.

SenGracic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 12, 2015
Canada
Programming for Dummies ;
Web Design for Dummies, again ;
Web development book ( it's in french though )

I learned a little bit about HTML/CSS but forgot most of it so I want to re-learn that part.
I read at least one book per week ( up to three ) when I'm in the reading mood, if not it takes me two weeks !

But since I read TMFL ; I'm always in the mood for the past week :)

Since I live in Quebec, it's pretty hard to find english books around so I stick to french books and learn from them ( most of those are the Dummies series )

sija1

Turning Coffee Into Code
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Jun 20, 2015
Quebec, Canada
Bill Phillips & Brian Hardy - Android Programming (The Big Nerd Ranch Guide)
Chad Mureta - App Empire
Chad Mureta - 8-day App Business Plan

and just got couple of books about robot programming, hacking, virtual reality development and other Android development related books (a lot of reading in plan for the next couple of weeks).

Programming for Dummies ;
Web Design for Dummies, again ;
Web development book ( it's in french though )

I learned a little bit about HTML/CSS but forgot most of it so I want to re-learn that part.
I read at least one book per week ( up to three ) when I'm in the reading mood, if not it takes me two weeks !

But since I read TMFL ; I'm always in the mood for the past week :)

Since I live in Quebec, it's pretty hard to find english books around so I stick to french books and learn from them ( most of those are the Dummies series )

Sta ima buraz, neka i tebe :D

Try Codeacademy for PHP.
You can find great books in English on Amazon.

Kevin D. Smith

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
277%
Jun 29, 2015
I'm reading a few currently:

TMF just about done

The Everything Store by Brad Stone (Awesome book about the incarnation of Amazon.com)

The Flinch by Julien Smith (It's free with prime! It's about about using your natural reaction to flinch to help you in anything)

I highly suggest both of these books

Mass

It's about time
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Jun 13, 2015
United Kingdom
I'm just reading the 4 Hour Work Week and finding it somewhat strange. There are parts which I think are excellent then there are other bits which I think are just plain egotistical (e.g. using a virtual assistant to send flowers to you wife and appologise on your behalf). I'm going to keep plugging away at it, afterall, if all I get is one piece of information that helps me then the book has served its purpose.

Fotis

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Feb 26, 2014
Antifragile by Nickolas Nassem Taleb
Beyond Metabolism by Scott Abel

Read and finished Gorilla Mindset by Mike Cernovich and OH BOY. That was A WE SO ME. Highly recommended to anyone struggling with focusing on the moment and getting things straight with priorities.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I'm just reading the 4 Hour Work Week and finding it somewhat strange. There are parts which I think are excellent then there are other bits which I think are just plain egotistical (e.g. using a virtual assistant to send flowers to you wife and appologise on your behalf)

If you try to think about the idea behind these odd tasks instead of the odd tasks themselves it makes a lot more sense.

For the virtual assistant idea for example - look at it as him saying "virtual assistants are so versatile that you can even send flowers to your wife and have them apologize on your behalf! Imagine what else they can do!"
For the lying down in public challenge - look at it as him saying "get out of your comfort zone - do something that scares you"

Etc...

4HWW is an excellent read and sparked the entrepreneur fire in a lot of people (myself included) but it does have some oddities like that in it for sure.

obrian

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Apr 16, 2015
Can anyone recommend a good book on marketing/selling?
Growth Hacker Marketing A Primer on the Future of PR, Marketing, and Advertising - Ryan Holiday (nice read)
SCIENTIFIC ADVERTISING (one of the best books ever written on marketing )
to sell is human (a very good book)

Mass

It's about time
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Jun 13, 2015
United Kingdom
If you try to think about the idea behind these odd tasks instead of the odd tasks themselves it makes a lot more sense.

For the virtual assistant idea for example - look at it as him saying "virtual assistants are so versatile that you can even send flowers to your wife and have them apologize on your behalf! Imagine what else they can do!"
For the lying down in public challenge - look at it as him saying "get out of your comfort zone - do something that scares you"

Etc...

4HWW is an excellent read and sparked the entrepreneur fire in a lot of people (myself included) but it does have some oddities like that in it for sure.

Hi JAJT

I completely get what you are saying, sometimes I just feel that there is a little bit too much fluff. With TMFL I literally read the book in 3 days during my lunch at work and for a hour or so a night when I got home. Its taking a bit more effort to read the 4HWW however I have picked up a few decent points from it.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
With TMFL I literally read the book in 3 days during my lunch at work and for a hour or so a night when I got home. Its taking a bit more effort to read the 4HWW however I have picked up a few decent points from it.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that this is because of the order you read them in.

MJ goes into greater detail more realistically about more subjects that Tim does, by a long shot. If you read Tim's book second, it really does come off as almost comically lacking in substance.

Tim's book is so highly praised on so many lists because it's where a LOT of people first got the idea that this stuff was possible. But by all accounts it doesn't hold a candle to TMFL.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
Hi JAJT

I completely get what you are saying, sometimes I just feel that there is a little bit too much fluff. With TMFL I literally read the book in 3 days during my lunch at work and for a hour or so a night when I got home. Its taking a bit more effort to read the 4HWW however I have picked up a few decent points from it.
I'm into my 2nd year trying to finish 4HWW. It's a chore.

Mass

It's about time
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Jun 13, 2015
United Kingdom
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that this is because of the order you read them in.

MJ goes into greater detail more realistically about more subjects that Tim does, by a long shot. If you read Tim's book second, it really does come off as almost comically lacking in substance.

Tim's book is so highly praised on so many lists because it's where a LOT of people first got the idea that this stuff was possible. But by all accounts it doesn't hold a candle to TMFL.

I think you're right. It's seems like MJ wrote the book for a friend where as Tim seems to be a little more testing

Bellini

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Mar 26, 2015
Dallas, TX
I'm into my 2nd year trying to finish 4HWW. It's a chore.

Same here, Jon, I couldn't finish 4HWW. I actually gave mine away.

I didn't like it near as much as MJ's book. But I think it's partly because I couldn't relate to it. The 4HWW seemed to be more geared to someone who was already so far along in their business and so busy that they just had to outsource everything. That's definitely not where I was or am.

This might sound bad, but I personally think one of the reasons 4HWW sold so well was not because of his great writing or quality of information, but because the title and picture on the front totally appeal to the inherent laziness in people.

G

GuestUser202

Ca$hvertising by Drew Eric Whitman.

Also downloaded samples of Ready, Fire, Aim, The 7 day Startup, and The Secret of Marketing a Business like Yours.

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
Currently reading a strange combination of Think and Grow Rich and Walden. So I'm currently thinking about how to make millions, and if it doesn't work, going and finding somewhere to live in the sticks, or something.

Also reading:

No More Mr. Nice Guy - Robert Glover.
On Writing - Stephen King.
Ready, Fire, Aim (picked that suggestion up from here, forget the author's name).

MKHB

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Jun 26, 2015
Bruggerman and Fisher RE Finance and Investments 14th Edition (Bruggerman and Fisher)
Good undergrad level reference book for learning about basic theory behind RE Valuation/Debt concepts.
However written by Academics, so case studies are the usual, generic "ACME Office Building, 111 Main Street, Anytown USA."
Also, no up to date insight on today's strategies, e.g., value add, core, build to core, distressed, workouts, crowd funding.

Investment Banking (Rosenbaum and Rosen)
A fantastic book about IB/M&As, with great step by step examples of strategy and valuation, by two guys who do it for a living.
The downside, these dudes are a couple of Ivy league stiffs - so there's no wild drug party stories like in Wolf of Wall Street - that sucks.

Pitch Anything (Oren Klass)
Also a very successful M&A/Private Equity player, who has developed a strategy that turns the standard VC/Private Equity pitch on its head.
By tapping into the nuero-toxins in the brain, the presenter (person seeking capital) skips the standard dog and pony/a$$ kissing technique and instead takes on a more, money is everywhere and good ideas are what is rare attitude, therefore; "Hey Mr. VC, I might take your money if your lucky."

PS - If anyone has a big pitch or a capital call with their private equity or venture capital source coming up and wants to try this nuero-finance technique, I would love to hear how it works out. mmmm

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
I want to see if iOS/Android/HTML5 cross-platform development is workable.

51dPwsMX5GL._SX419_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

mystery1994

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jul 5, 2015
belgium
Just finished Reading Miracle Morning Hal Elrod

Currently Reading 4 Hour Work Week , Tim Ferris

Think And Grow , Rich Napoleon Hill on its way

Im listening to the Audiobook of 'The 4 hour work week' now while working my day job, day job for now annyway ;-)

MKHB

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Jun 26, 2015
Just finished:
Unfair Advantage by Robert Kiyosaki

Currently reading:
The greatest Salesman in the World by O.G. Mandino

Currently listening to during my commute:
Today Matters by John C. Maxwell

Coming up soon:
The Education of Millionaires by Michael Ellsberg
How Successful People Think by John C. Maxwell
Secrets of Closing the Sale by Zig Zigler
Failing Forward by John C. Maxwell

Can anyone recommend a good book about sales?
Depends on what your selling. If its selling yourself or a vision, i.e., seeking money from investors or VC, the book Andy Black mentions, Pitch Anything by Oren Klaff is very interesting. It is based on selling/pitching via emotion and framing, not a numbers show with a lot of gratuitous flattering and sucking up.

MK

pickeringmt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
364%
Apr 24, 2014
I just finished "Bold" - this incredible book about entrepreneurship, the world, and how to get stuff done.

It is honestly too awesome to get into - this would be a massive post.

Just read it. Seriously.

I am now reading "the practicing mind" - which is also a really great book.

If you want to truly understand what it means to "focus on the process" then get this book.

It gets a little more "out there" and isn't a business book, but is really pushing me to a new level of understanding some of my own weak spots in this area. Very practical and actionable ways to adjust your mindset.

I also am reading James Altucher's books - Choose Yourself (done) and the CY Guide to Wealth.

Both have great points, but I can really relate to James and his writing and this may not be the case for some people.

I have definitely picked up a lot of practical tools from all of these books - but if you read a book and don't, you are either reading the wrong books or just reading wrong.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.