The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What would you tell your 18 or 25 year old self?

Mamadoo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Nov 12, 2014
Toronto
1. Don't take yourself so seriously.
2. "Failure is the sweat of success." Oh man. I wish I had that golden nugget back then. So afraid to make even the smallest mistake I talked myself out of doing anything for years.
3. Don't bother with law school. Forget about being a lawyer who works 20 hours a day for $160k a year. Instead, create a business and HIRE lawyers that work 20 hours a day for $160k a year...

Failure is the sweat of success. Love it!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
True story. Before my Father died aged 57 he gave me the following advice (I was 18 at the time):

"Son, I gave the best years of my life to some bugger else. Don't make the same mistake."

I passed on the same information to my children. God bless you Dad.
This really is my favorite post in this whole thread. I read this post once a day, not even kidding.

I can tell your dad was a great person.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Thanks @MoneyDoc. Glad it resonated with you. Yes he was indeed a great person and passing his words on helps keep his spirit alive I guess. Thank you once again.

Luffy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Dec 20, 2014
I have nothing to tell him because he'll be on a whole other level of mindset, knowledge, achievement and everything.

James_Bond

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Dec 19, 2014
I am 23 at the moment and this thread is great to see, quite a few posts told people like me who are under 25 to read this again and again.

That is exactly what I intend to do, I am going to read this thread a few more times and let all the gems sink in.

Thank you everyone for your contributions and best of luck to you all in your endeavours.

fastlanebeast876

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Apr 10, 2015
im on page 2 and have been up all night reading and skimming around the site. Thanks guy for all the timeless advice. This is a great site!

Rixter

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Nov 24, 2014
Melbourne
The secret to wealth is that there is no secret..

Simply build your property portfolio asset base as fast and as quickly as you can reasonably afford then hold for the long term and never ever sell.

Dream Big and never let anyone tell you, you cant do it Keep focus and never give up!

Rixter

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Nov 24, 2014
Melbourne
The secret to wealth is that there is no secret..

Simply build your property portfolio asset base as fast and as quickly as you can reasonably afford then hold for the long term and never ever sell.

Dream Big and never let anyone tell you, you cant do it. Keep focus and never give up!

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
This is pure gold for an 18 year old kid like me. I am so damn glad this forum exists, I read it everyday. Thank you to everyone who has posted in this, I am very excited to take this journey to the fastlane.

And with an attitude like that you will go far.

Tristan2k0

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Aug 4, 2014
Southern Colorado
And with an attitude like that you will go far.
Thank you sir, I am eternally grateful that there are so many people like you here willing to help. I still have so much to learn, just thinking about all the wisdom and knowledge from you older guys I have yet to discoverer makes me so damn happy, life is good!

Chazmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
May 23, 2013
USA
I would tell my 25 yr old self:

- Think in terms of starting a need driven business that can create strong cashflow (exploding income) and save as much of it as possible to invest in cashflowing assets and re-invest in the business, to keep compounding income.
(I kind of did it the other way around where I learned how to invest 1st but was making small incomes so therefore took/taking a long time to reap investment benefits. Think MJ's example of catching the wave at the crest instead of a 1000 miles out at sea.)

- Create an internet based business. (I'm way late to that party!)

- Reputation is priceless, don't ever do anything stupid that may tarnish it.

- Time goes so damn fast. Only work on the most important priorities which are derived from personal values and goals. Don't putz around with "hobbies" until top goals are complete, and don't get too wrapped up in what other people want you to do. Don't fragment your focus.

- Relationships are much more valuable than you think, but choose wisely.

- The 1st form of wealth is a positive, pleasant mental attitude regardless of external circumstances. Even if you're a multi-millionaire but unhappy all the time for whatever 'reason', you are poor.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.