The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Understanding Passion-based Motivation

Anything related to matters of the mind

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
Something finally clicked for me, and it's on this whole Passion vs. Motivation thing.
Letting your passions motivate your business, even if your particular business isn't your passion.

@MJ DeMarco wrote about it in TMF , but I never understood until I experienced it. It's a very powerful feeling, and (for me) works a LOT more effectively than fear/loss based motivation.

My Work
Right now, I'm doing video stuff. I've got a few clients paying me monthly to rank their videos on google. I'm selling infoproducts on how to do video, video that converts, software tutorials, etc. I have the occasional customer who wants a unique video made.

I do this because I'm GOOD at it and I'm building skills. The work itself however is a "take it or leave it" deal. I don't wake up excited everyday to do the work, and I've gotten to the point where I dread it.

My Passion
I have recently let a new passion infiltrate my life. A project that's been floating around the back of my head for years. Last week I took my first steps towards it and it has completely gripped my imagination. I won't go into details, but it's a weekly web-TV show I want to create (and then hopefully license/syndicate to tv/hulu/netflix)

The project makes me excited. I lay awake at night thinking about it. I spend my free-time listening to podcasts and radio shows and audiobooks on the topic. I'm SO excited to get my work done for the day because it means I have time to work on this hobby.

Letting My Passion Drive My Business
This project requires a few resources I don't currently have.
They're not unobtainable, but they do cost money I don't have.

I need a faster machine. I need a better microphone. I need to hire some design work out, I need to do some writing.

I'm eventually going to hold a kickstarter, but I want to have a working pilot made before I even bring it to get funding. I want to prove the concept before I ask for assistance.

This need for money is motivating me to kick a$$ on my business. I've been a complete MACHINE lately, working all hours of the day to make the money I need to fund this project.

I actually see that my existing business will reach great levels of accomplishment due to me wanting to fund a completely separate project.

Letting My Passion Drive Personal Connections
In order to be successful in my passion, I realize I'll need to make the proper connections before my kickstarter launches. I want there to be a group of people who all know/like/trust me enough to promote me when the time comes.

I like helping people, I really really do. I like sharing anything I know that could be of help, and I've even been known to do free work because I believed in the person/project. However, I've never had the burning desire to ASSERT myself into helping other people.

I, for instance, have identified a few podcasts/blogs about kickstarter funding. Their audience is filled with proven backers and influential people. I am now writing guest posts and offering my video expertise to them and their audience. I don't need promotion, I don't need a backlink, I don't need a plug.

Hopefully, in the coming months, If/when I DO need a few moment of promotional time, they'll be there for me. But even if not, I'm okay with that.

Sharing my video expertise will expand the reach of my business organically. I knew this was a possibility before, but I just didn't CARE enough to actually go ahead and do it. This passion has really jumpstarted how outgoing I am (in a business context)

I have already met wonderful influential people who have offered to help me, so it looks like it's working.

Bottom Line
I'm using a separate passion about something to drive my business.
I'm using a separate passion to drive business connections and contacts.
I'm using a separate passion to make friends and explore new ideas.
What are you passionate about?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
I believe that passion in every niche, should EXPLODE in THE niche for you.
Build a damn of "god I HAVE TO DO THAT" with old, outdated, boring things, and you will explode when it comes to THE niche and opportunity that you are meant for.

Don't SEEK one thing that motivates you night and day. Seek to chase everything, and the small edge your niche will give you will be ROCKET FUEL!

I am also a believer that passion's purpose is to DRIVE RISK (not the maintenance and ins and outs, that needs to be drilled until subconscious and easy). Passion should make you DEFY the status quo and push you past a good idea into a brilliant one!

There is a CENTS to passion.

Don't DWELL, EXPLODE (T)
Don't dabble, intensify everything you touch (S)
Don't let bad news stop you, always bring the good with you (C)
Be more crazy than anyone else can endure and you will achieve more (E)
Watch observe and stalk need pressure points until you can get the exact ones (N)

(these are similar to what you wrote I feel; in short I agree, seperate passion is crucial)

Last edited by a moderator:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.