The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Assisted living facility??

KC Dash

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Aug 10, 2008
Dallas
I do not know much about assisted living or nursing homes. I have a colleague that wants to go in and develop an assisted living community.

I need to know what requirements we would need to build and run an assisted living community including:

-Licensing requirements
-building requirements
-What grants, perks, waivers can be absorbed
-facility requirements
-state/federal requirements
-safety issues/requirements
-permit requirements

And anything else that would be geared toward an assisted living facility.

Where can I find this info out? To be honest I do not know where to begin.

If anyone owns a facility or has first hand experience, I would really like to talk to you. Please PM me if this is the case. I would make it worth your while somehow..

Thanks

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Sparlin

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 23, 2009
Wichita, Kansas
I don't have direct experience with it, but I have a friend who has been the General Manager (or some comparable title) of at least 2 nursing homes. I'll send her an email if you want and see if she has some advice.

I believe you have to have a Doctor, P.A., or at least a Nurse Practitioner to serve as a medical director. I would also highly recommend talking to people in your area to see if they would meet for a brief interview with directed questions. They may not, but it wouldn't hurt to ask. In college I asked to "shadow" some doctors and I was able to watch surgeries first hand. Also check to see if regulations put out by the new administration will affect the industry.

bflbob

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 25, 2007
Endicott, New York, United States
We do development and management of Senior Living.

There are lots of licensing requirements to operate them...not so many to build them (we do both).

Many of your staff need to be RN's and LPN's due to the dispersal of medications.

We operate in NY, CT and IN, and are starting soon in TN and FL. See http://www.thehearth.net/about_us.php?n=OurCommunities

We handle most of the day-to-day from development thru construction and operations. I know that the owners of the company are usually open to new partners if you can bring a sizable financing package to the table.

Typical construction costs are in the $10,000,000+ range, with additional money required for marketing and rent-up, which normally takes 1-2 years after opening.

If you are interested, drop me a PM, and I'll see if our principles are interested in talking with you.

Last edited:

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
Laws differ from state to state, but typically an assisted living is governed by much more lax laws and regulations than a nursing home would be. Many are run out of people's homes like boarding houses, etc...

Check the laws in your state.

Cheers,

- Hakrjak

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.