The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

walking the walk

Anything related to matters of the mind

Muhammad Ibrahim

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Aug 1, 2022
i was thinking, does one have to walk the walk to sell a product or service? for example if someone is selling fitness products and as part of the marketing strategy gives fitness tips but isnt actually that fit, is it a no-no or is it like Alex Hormozi said that you being able to help others achieve X goal is more important you having done it yourself.
or like someone selling time-management course but isnt that good at managing his own time [but the advice is still sensible]
what's your opinion on this?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jeix

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Oct 1, 2018
Milan, Italy
I think MJ talked about this in unscripted

(CH.35) Commandment of Need

View attachment 50656
I personally disagree with this. There's another section in the book that talks about Lebron James shooting hoops 24/7 in reference of how you should be monogamous with your business to be good at it. I don't think you can achieve that level of skill if you don't even like basketball.

It's true you don't have to be both a seller and a consumer to do well, good marketing is just about everything. But what if one of your competitor is just as good at marketing but also has a deeper understanding of the customer because they are also an active consumer? It's a lot harder to beat that because the kind of obsessive desire for something that makes you the number one in your field can't be taught, it's something irrational we are born with.

From experience, all card game stores in my area that were run by people who didn't play cards closed within the first few years of operations because they were treating players like shit, given how much micromanagement they require; they don't just walk in, buy and leave like comic book customers: they want to feel like they are in their second home among peers, have a good time and talk about the game.
The only store like that that survived eventually removed the tables and now just sells comic books, basically losing their only advantage over Amazon (a community of players who want a space to hang out and play).

So, yes, if you ask me and the industry I work in, you HAVE to walk the walk. When a customer walks in and wants advice on whether to cut consider from their UR murktide in favor of preordain, your response can't be "huh?" because that's the difference between gaining a lifelong customer and a walkout with a bad review.

You follow whatever advice you care to hear the most though.
Good luck.

Muhammad Ibrahim

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Aug 1, 2022
I personally disagree with this. There's another section in the book that talks about Lebron James shooting hoops 24/7 in reference of how you should be monogamous with your business to be good at it. I don't think you can achieve that level of skill if you don't even like basketball.

It's true you don't have to be both a seller and a consumer to do well, good marketing is just about everything. But what if one of your competitor is just as good at marketing but also has a deeper understanding of the customer because they are also an active consumer? It's a lot harder to beat that because the kind of obsessive desire for something that makes you the number one in your field can't be taught, it's something irrational we are born with.

From experience, all card game stores in my area that were run by people who didn't play cards closed within the first few years of operations because they were treating players like shit, given how much micromanagement they require; they don't just walk in, buy and leave like comic book customers: they want to feel like they are in their second home among peers, have a good time and talk about the game.
The only store like that that survived eventually removed the tables and now just sells comic books, basically losing their only advantage over Amazon (a community of players who want a space to hang out and play).

So, yes, if you ask me and the industry I work in, you HAVE to walk the walk. When a customer walks in and wants advice on whether to cut consider from their UR murktide in favor of preordain, your response can't be "huh?" because that's the difference between gaining a lifelong customer and a walkout with a bad review.

Good luck.
Hmm i believe both opinions are right in this way:
You dont have to be a great at playing basketball to sell basketballs and basketball courses
You have to be great and know about selling basketballs and basketball courses

Muhammad Ibrahim

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Aug 1, 2022

Good luck.
The card game example seems like they were bad at customer service not being able to make the customer feel like its their second home. What do you say?

Jeix

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Oct 1, 2018
Milan, Italy
The card game example seems like they were bad at customer service not being able to make the customer feel like its their second home. What do you say?
You can't pin everything under being bad at customer service. Players need advice on their decks, they want to know what cards they can find in what sets, they need you to find singles for them, they want to tell you about their latest creation and have your approval, they need organized events that run smoothly with appropriate prizes and so much more every day.
They speak a language you can't speak unless you walk the walk.
Our store got a huge boost upon opening because all of us walked the walk. To us, it was like it wasn't the first time. The difference was that we were making money and we knew exactly what our customers wanted, nailing their needs in the head first try and securing a community extremely quickly.

Good luck competing with that when all you know is comic books. People buy that shit on amazon now. Manga sales are like 1% of our revenue. You know what they can't do on amazon? Spend an afternoon sitting down with wifi and A/C, playing cards, having a snack and talking to friends about the latest releases.

My store might only be a year old but I've been going to stores for the past 13 years. Walking the walk makes a huge difference, at least in my field.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
443%
May 27, 2013
United States
what's your opinion on this?
If you don’t “walk the walk”, then you need an alternative method of deeply understanding the pain point you are solving, how to design a solution for it, and to know if that solution is what the market is looking for.

Sure, it’s possible, and MJ shared examples of people who have done so in the previous poster’s screenshot.

But IMO, an entrprenuer is more likely to hit the mark if “scratching their own itch”.

I’m with @Jeix in this one.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.