The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Cryptocurrency Investing Discussion

Anything related to bitcoin, crypto, blockchain

steelandchrome

Author of The Retail Leader Book.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Nov 6, 2016
Goodyear Az
Starting this thread on the inside for people to feel a bit more comfortable with some of the information they are sharing with others vs the thread on web 3.0 on the outside. Feel free to use this thread to post comments, questions, ICO research, anything in relation to cryptocurrency that you want to share or ask questions about to other forum members that you don't want out for public view.
Thanks for participation!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

steelandchrome

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Nov 6, 2016
Goodyear Az
To start off I am fairly new to the whole thing but I am seeing a lot of room for this to continue to run and think it is a great investment tool for those who have the time and ability to do a little bit of research. I am currently only invested in Ethereum (ETH) Bitcoin Cash (BCH) and TenX (PAY) but am researching a few others to add to my portfolio shortly.

As far as exchanges I use GDAX through coinbase solely so far to get zero fee buys and then transfer to MyEtherWallet.com or for BCH Coinomi

I am looking at buying a Trezor 2 (coming out soon) or Ledger for longer term holds and keeping trading amounts of ETH in myetherwallet

I have used Shapeshift.io successfully to swap ETH for PAY and it was a fairly painless process but it is no fun to not know the exact amount of fees in $$$ that I paid to make that happen. They have a table that shows fees per token exchange but it doesn't spell it out clearly enough IMO.

I also use Blockfolio to track buy and sells for an easy way to know true gains at a glance

Currently researching a few ICO's coming up that were brought up by @JScott in the web 3.0 thread but nothing set in stone yet. ICOs seem to be a solid way to make a "safer" expected ROI using the method of bonus coins/tokens and taking off initial investment plus some profit and letting the rest ride effectively "risk-free" so hope to get some conversations going on this the most personally.

(copy and paste comment from there)
Here's a quick run down of what I've found..

- Enigma (Interesting platform. I signed up for the info and presale list but haven't received any info yet for exclusions)

- Omega One (Not available to US investors but looks amazing, I would be in on this one for SURE if I could).

- Science (Only available to max 99 accredited investors for ICO pre-sale unfortunately so not for small guys)

- Hero Token ( This one? --->) Herocoin: HERO ICO - Trustless Betting on the Ethereum Blockchain - Initial Coin Offering (Looks great IMO, Don't see any exclusions for us smaller investors... I will be giving this serious research)
Or this one --> HERO - The Future of Banking in Southeast Asia ?
- Kin (not too sure here... Maybe since I don't use KIK I don't get it) (**Update** I've read more and this is off my radar all together)

- Sense Token (Interesting play on AI, I like it. No real details disclosed for qualifications yet that I see and is over a month out so plenty of time for research.)

Just FYI to save others hassle of looking up some of the ones with US or accredited investor status but obviously you are encouraged to do your own research.

Hopefully we get some more conversations going and can help each other make sense of ideas.

MakeMoreMoves

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
May 19, 2015
Recently just invested in crypto. Specifically, ETH.

The reason I did is because I wouldn't be mad about losing this money, but I would be mad if this thing shot up. Bought a hardware wallet and understand the jist of it within 1 week.

Bought BTC and ETH first, but traded BTC to ETH. From a business standpoint, I thought BTC would destroy Paypal. But the fees are so high to send BTC to different wallets that it isn't feasible in my opinion. They said Segwit or BCH was gonna change this, but fees are still so high. All ETH now, has the most real world application. Another thing that sucks is that if you have mutliple wallets, you have to keep paying a fee. In comparison to banks, if I transfer money from accounts I both own, there is no fee. In cryptocurrency, I am getting charged to transfer from checking to savings. Just banking on capital gains.

Last edited:

steelandchrome

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Nov 6, 2016
Goodyear Az
This is NOT investing advice -- remember, I'm an idiot and relatively speaking, have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about. If you listen to me, you will almost certainly lose money. You may even lose your pride, self-confidence and self-worth. In other words, don't listen to me!

That said, if anyone is interested in the three ICOs I'll be participating in this week, here they are:

1. Monetha (Monetha)
2. SmartContract (Smart Contracts are self-executing contractual states, stored on the blockchain.)
3. Hero Token (HERO - The Future of Banking in Southeast Asia)

#1 is mostly speculation -- it will have a low market cap, will be difficult to get into, will sell out fast, and hopefully will have a lot of pent up demand when it hits the exchanges. That said, there's a lot of hype, which is always off-putting for me, so I'm considering this one a gamble. I don't imagine I would hold it long-term under any circumstances.

#2 has been flying under the radar and have almost no social media presence. But, the product is important to the industry, the team is strong and the advisers/investors are good. Also, I'm getting in during the pre-sale at a big discount, so even if it opens on the exchanges at the market/ICO price, there's some built-in profit. I can imagine holding this one long-term.

#3 is a well-funded VC-backed (Softbank, Alibaba, etc) company that has an established product and team -- they've been around since 2014. I like the space, I like the team and while they likely will have a high valuation, I don't expect them to be a "flash in the pan." We're getting in on the pre-sale at a good discount, so hopefully there will be some equity very quickly -- I'll likely cash some out and keep some long-term.

Just thought I'd share...
Just curious what wallet and exchange you are using for these? Haven't done any ICO yet and assume they have to be held in a paper wallet until they hit open exchanges? Forgive me for not just googling it right now, I'm on my phone killing time before I head home.... I have seen a LOT of hype on the first one as well and expect a decent pop from people chasing open exchange as well, haven't heard of the second one, I like the idea of Hero and they do have a great track record behind them in previous similar business of online pawn shop so I think thats a great long term call as well for an underserved market.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

steelandchrome

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Nov 6, 2016
Goodyear Az
Got home faster than I thought...

1. Monetha (Monetha)
This one shows only available to outside US investors. Are you using a member of your group to buy into this one?

2. SmartContract (Smart Contracts are self-executing contractual states, stored on the blockchain.)
This one has a minimum 100 ETH to participate in pre sale so I'll have to wait to market if at all on that one as that's a bit much for me just starting out and would be in if I could get in for like 10 ETH at this time. Looks like it does solve a real problem though if it ties "real banks" to the blockchain which would make more people comfortable with the technology I'd think and that's a great thing.

3. Hero Token (HERO - The Future of Banking in Southeast Asia)
I've been signed up for this one since last week and is just 10 ETH minimum to qualify for the 20-30% bonus. I will likely get in on this one.

steelandchrome

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Nov 6, 2016
Goodyear Az
Thanks for the replies. I will only be getting in on the hero token. Just got an email for Friday at 8pm that they are opening it up.

Now to buy some more ETH. I've been waiting for a dip since $335 and it just keeps trucking higher. I guess thats a good problem to have for my current holdings though ;)

Azure

Perpetual Motion
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Mar 12, 2016
What do you guys think of ripple?

TKDTyler

The Tea Guy
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
347%
Aug 25, 2014
Do any of you guys have interest in VRT? The move to incorporate atomic swapping between VRT and LTC seems interesting and if it goes well could increase the value of both coins as more crypto's adopt it.

Azure

Perpetual Motion
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Mar 12, 2016
So you dont expect an ETH like rise? One of the biggest regrets of my life is not jumping in at 14 dollars. If ripple does the same, I may just end up jumping into traffic.

Do you think eth at 365 is still a good bet?

steelandchrome

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Nov 6, 2016
Goodyear Az
So you dont expect an ETH like rise? One of the biggest regrets of my life is not jumping in at 14 dollars. If ripple does the same, I may just end up jumping into traffic.

Do you think eth at 365 is still a good bet?

ETH has been great to me the last week. I bought more at $363 today and is at $372+....

Last edited:

Hyrum

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
359%
Jul 5, 2016
Nebraska
This one popped up on my radar last night: atlant.io They are using blockchain to create a real estate platform. I haven't seen too much discussion on it, but it seems like both a great idea and a terrible one. I read through the white paper and I'm still on the fence.

For example, their platform seems to be able to solve some pretty big problems in the real estate industry. But the downside is they seem to be trying to do too much for a small team. They are trying to tokenize real-estate deals, allowing for multiple owners, PLUS create a blockchain alternative to AirBnB, PLUS create a blockchain alternative to Expedia, PLUS create a platform for landlords/renters. There may have been another industry tossed in there too. So while I see this as having amazing potential, I worry about them overextending themselves and being mediocre at everything instead of amazing at one thing.

I love the idea of converting real estate ownership into tokens that can be exchanged on an open market. However, they are charging a lot (7% of asset value) to get it set up. I know that's about the going rate to sell with a real estate agent, but I think adoption of new technology is going to be slow if there is no cost advantage over the status quo.

Their team also doesn't seem to be anything special, although I didn't look too deep into them, just what is listed on the site. But I figured uninspiring bios on the public-facing website probably doesn't equate to a stellar team.

I might throw 5-10 ETH at them as a long-term play, but I'm hesitant about getting too involved. Anyone have other thoughts?

TKDTyler

The Tea Guy
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
347%
Aug 25, 2014
This one popped up on my radar last night: atlant.io They are using blockchain to create a real estate platform. I haven't seen too much discussion on it, but it seems like both a great idea and a terrible one. I read through the white paper and I'm still on the fence.

For example, their platform seems to be able to solve some pretty big problems in the real estate industry. But the downside is they seem to be trying to do too much for a small team. They are trying to tokenize real-estate deals, allowing for multiple owners, PLUS create a blockchain alternative to AirBnB, PLUS create a blockchain alternative to Expedia, PLUS create a platform for landlords/renters. There may have been another industry tossed in there too. So while I see this as having amazing potential, I worry about them overextending themselves and being mediocre at everything instead of amazing at one thing.

I love the idea of converting real estate ownership into tokens that can be exchanged on an open market. However, they are charging a lot (7% of asset value) to get it set up. I know that's about the going rate to sell with a real estate agent, but I think adoption of new technology is going to be slow if there is no cost advantage over the status quo.

Their team also doesn't seem to be anything special, although I didn't look too deep into them, just what is listed on the site. But I figured uninspiring bios on the public-facing website probably doesn't equate to a stellar team.

I might throw 5-10 ETH at them as a long-term play, but I'm hesitant about getting too involved. Anyone have other thoughts?

I haven't hearn about atlant.io, but if you are interested in similar coins, REAL is ICOing in a couple days. It may be the best time to get in. I've been doing some reading up on it (not as much as I need to invest), but it definitely is an interesting space.

Check it out @ Real Estate Token Sale

steelandchrome

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Nov 6, 2016
Goodyear Az
Great point on ETH. All the new people who want to get in on an ICO have to buy more ETH generally which bodes well for at a minimum of a few years of price increases I would think as the platform continues to build out with new companies building on top of Ethereum.

steelandchrome

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Nov 6, 2016
Goodyear Az
So out of curiosity what are your preferred exchanges or wallets for alt coins? I have looked at a few other exchanges and wallets and there is so much drama out there on which ones are safe and trustworthy. I've looked at adding a few speculation plays on OMG and Tezos but neither can be held in myetherwallet or coinomi which are the only two I have now. I can get them via shapeshift.io but they have a fairly limited selection as a whole...

steelandchrome

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Nov 6, 2016
Goodyear Az
I use MEW for nearly all my alt coins, and I'm not particularly worried about security, as I manage the private keys. For those coins that aren't supported in MEW, I use another wallet where I have the keys -- NEO Wallet is a good example. I do have a couple coins in Kraken, which isn't optimal, but I keep relatively small amounts of those.

You mentioned Tezos, those coins haven't been distributed yet...I think we still have a few more months...
I think its basically an IOU for the Tezos but you can get them for about $2.33 each. But you cannot hold Tezos or OMG in myetherwallet so I woukd need to open a new wallet.

steelandchrome

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Nov 6, 2016
Goodyear Az
Since a couple people have asked offline, here's the update...

We bought into #1 today. It was a large purchase (our group bought up over 1% of the total coins released) and we'll see what happens when the coins are available to trade starting next Tuesday.

I decided against #2 based on some additional research I did. I may invest later, but not now.

The company behind #3 postponed the pre-sale and haven't announced a new date.

So, that's it for this week. Have a couple others I'm likely going to buy into next week, and will be happy to discuss if people find this interesting...

Love to hear what your looking at and why ;) Just wish I were able to buy into some of these ICOs premarket and take advantage of the bonuses like you are.

Also, have they released what exchanges will list MTH when it is public next week? $36.6M raised in under 18 minutes will have a TON of demand when available.. I'll add it to my portfolio for sure.

Last edited:

steelandchrome

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Nov 6, 2016
Goodyear Az
Okay, I'll post more as they come up...

They haven't announced any exchanges yet. Typically, in those cases, it will trade on EtherDelta.com first (peer-to-peer site), and then eventually get listed on the exchanges.
Thanks. If you do decide to sell off a very small portion before they list official I'd be interested in a P2P transaction (PM me if so around then) and save any fees from that site if they charge them. I'll have to check the site out tomorrow either way as I hadn't heard of it yet.

Maybe I could get in on Kyber or Omega One through there as well when they ICO before they list on exchanges.

steelandchrome

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Nov 6, 2016
Goodyear Az
I added some LTC to my portfolio today to just get it out of my USD wallet and potentially make some small gains in the meanwhile until I put it to work. Now
ETH 80%
LTC 15%
PAY 4%
BCC 1%

I expect to put some ETH to work in some alt coins or new to market coins soon. Have been waiting for BTC to have a decent enough dip to buy into but that hasn't happened.

Even with losing 1/3 of an ETH in a bet on the McGregor fight I'm up about 19% this week.

steelandchrome

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Nov 6, 2016
Goodyear Az
Okay, I'll post more as they come up...

They haven't announced any exchanges yet. Typically, in those cases, it will trade on EtherDelta.com first (peer-to-peer site), and then eventually get listed on the exchanges.
That site was a bit confusing at first but was able to youtube a how to video to figure it out. I plan to check it out tonight after the MTH is released to see the going rates from sellers and see if I can't pick up 1-2 ETH worth for now.

steelandchrome

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Nov 6, 2016
Goodyear Az
Looks like MTH is trading at about .00075 ETH right now on EtherDelta. ICO price was .0005 ETH, so about 50% bump.

I'm going to sell 2/3 of what I bought to cover my original purchase, and keep the other 1/3 for future profit. I think this one will do well when it actually hits the exchanges...
I agree. I figured it would have been a decent pop from people chasing the open market. I hope it stays around there till 5 or 6 when I get home and can buy a few ETH worth.

steelandchrome

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Nov 6, 2016
Goodyear Az
Haha, not mine as first disclaimer but someone just paid .266 ETH for .001 MTH on etherdelta, careful with your decimal points when placing orders [emoji23]
2082e18a0d2abbcbef351fc194b5b412.jpg

bigbaby

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Sep 3, 2017
Dallas, Texas

MarekvBeek

Every day I'm hustlin'
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Jul 13, 2016
Netherlands
Haha, not mine as first disclaimer but someone just paid .266 ETH for .001 MTH on etherdelta, careful with your decimal points when placing orders [emoji23]

I remember once a guy dumping 300 btc's for 0,10c :rofl:

MarekvBeek

Every day I'm hustlin'
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Jul 13, 2016
Netherlands
What do you guys think about the ICO ban in China?

steelandchrome

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Nov 6, 2016
Goodyear Az
Added a modest position in MTH last night, already doing well ;)

steelandchrome

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Nov 6, 2016
Goodyear Az
What do you guys think about the ICO ban in China?
I think it was way overreacting by the market personally. I have read that most likely they will ban them for now and then regulate in the near future which if is the case would be a positive in my opinion to clear out some of the scam ones and bring more confidence to new buyers. As of right now ICOs are technically banned to USA investors unless you are accredited and putting in 6 figure investments so not really that scary.
That said unfortunately while market is recovering ETH is lagging behind because it is heavily correlated to ICOs and exchanges for other tokens.

steelandchrome

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Nov 6, 2016
Goodyear Az
In theory, ICOs are regulated in the US, but not in practice. I haven't had to prove accredited investor status yet for any ICOs, and my syndicate has only had to prove it once (Filecoin ICO). That will change soon, but there's still some opportunity.

As for China, the bad part is simply that Chinese investors can't participate in the purchase of alt-coins, so it creates less short-term demand for those coins...

Though I agree that there were a lot of scams coming out of China, so it's good that those are gone...
Well that sucks, I kinda wrote off trying to participate in any due to a fear I would send in my ETH and get a KYC email or something later disqualifying me. Although the last few I've looked seriously at had a max 99 spots for US investors and HUGE minimum investments anyways.

MarekvBeek

Every day I'm hustlin'
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Jul 13, 2016
Netherlands
You guys are great! Keep on rolling. Nice to see you have some experience @JScott with the dotcom mania (that's correct right?) that is simmilar to the ICO mania.

steelandchrome

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Nov 6, 2016
Goodyear Az
Out of curiousity what are your top holdings? Open question to anyone invested that is comfortable disclosing.
Mine is not diverse enough but building slowly.
ETH, LTC, PAY, MTH, BCH

steelandchrome

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Nov 6, 2016
Goodyear Az
Been on etherdelta for hours trying to buy more MTH but transactions are on ultra slow mode and took an hour to deposit from MEW to ED and has been another hour and a half waiting to deposit to be able to actually buy something.... also has been 2 hours pending to transfer PAY and OMG tokens to MEW that I bought last night... frustrating. [emoji35]

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.