The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

That Dude That Pisses You off Is Good for You. Can You See It Though?

Woosah

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
235%
Jan 6, 2022
If you've read my book or have been reading the articles I've been posting, you know that I'm a huge nerd when it comes to psychology and philosophy, especially when applied to entrepreneurship. I'm fascinated by the potential of the human mind and the ways in which we grow as individuals.

Well, this one is all about that—all about us and our relationships—but the darker parts of it. The parts that the positivity junkies like to push away and hide. Why? Because it has to do with the emotions people don't typically want to experience. And... well, why don't we just get to it instead of talking about it?

Enjoy!

———

Are there people in your life that you just can't stand?

Like, they have some serious issues and are constantly testing you?

These people probably annoy you, make you angry. Hell, you might even hate them, or consider them your enemy.

You may secretly hope they'll disappear from your life. That way, you would have to see their stupid face or hear their stupid remarks. You won't have to compromise your peace or "bite your tongue."

In short, you won't have to deal with those triggers anymore...

But, what if I told you that those triggers won't disappear?

That you'll just find someone else who will make you feel that way?

Or—something radical here—what if that person you're thinking of right now might be the 'good guy' in your story?

If there's someone like this in your life and you're reading this and immediately feeling turned-off—thinking "no way"—I'd like to introduce you to a natural defense mechanism that we all have.

In the field of psychology, they call this the "Shadow Self".

The Shadow is the part of us that contains all aspects of ourselves that we don't want to admit to having—it’s our emotional blind spot.

It's made up of the ideas, desires, weaknesses, fears, instincts, and shortcomings we have that we push away.

We develop this shadow when we adapt to cultural norms and the expectations of our parents and other authority figures. And it reveals itself to us (if we're aware enough to notice it) as negative, often automatic, unintentional, and unconscious responses to events, people, and situations.

Basically, we act defensively, become impatient, resist change, manipulate others, or act territorial and aggressive—here's the tragic part—without even realizing we're doing so.

You and I might think we know what we're doing and why we're doing it... What we're saying and why we're saying it... But that's not always the case. There are usually deeper motives to our behavior than we originally think. The fact is, we are cognitively flawed and not perfectly self-aware.

And the thing about the shadow is, everyone has within them a shadow. You too. And me. All of us do. The sooner we can accept that, the sooner we begin to explore ours.

One way to do that is to stop blaming others. Instead, welcome the idea that these people are somehow serving you as a mirror, piercing into the depths of your own soul.

Radical idea, maybe.

Just give it a try.

When you feel strong emotions that seem to be out of place, just pause and reflect.

"Why am I feeling this way?"

"What part of me is making me think this way?"

"Are these emotions pointing to some limiting belief I have?"

"Is this person showing me some part of myself that I don't want to accept?"

These people may actually be doing some messed up things. But consider where in your life you've behaved even remotely similarly.

When you can identify the basis behind those strong "negative" emotions, you can begin to accept them. When you can accept your emotions and why you feel them, you can begin to accept yourself. When you can accept yourself, you can begin to work on yourself.

"The curious paradox is that when I accept myself just as I am, then I change." — Carl Rogers

———

This is, in large part, what happens when you visit a therapist or psychologist for issues like this—they help you navigate your "darker" emotions in such a way that you can accept them, where you can accept yourself. So, if you apply the tactics in this article, you may save yourself hundreds or thousands of dollars that you would otherwise pay for treatment—and maybe even a few relationships.

I think it’s appropriate to end with a quote about the shadow by a master in the field of psychology, Carl Jung: "People will do anything, no matter how absurd, in order to avoid facing their own souls. One does not become enlightened by imagining figures of light, but by making the darkness conscious."

305019932_2794672384002814_5994374542244848919_n.jpg

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
635%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
As a business owner I get to pick everyone in my life.

I can replace my friends, my girlfriend, my employees, my customers. Anyone I don’t like gets the boot.

I can literally not relate to what you’re saying at all.

I hated most people at school and most of any coworkers I had. I thought “everyone is a useless retarded bitch” and I used to think “maybe it’s me…” it absolutely wasn’t me, I was around stupid people.

Now I love everyone in my life and have so much less stress. They are all on my side and I spend 0 time on people that cause me any problems. Instantly replaced. I don’t have to be around anyone I don’t like.

Always getting pushback and criticism from idiots and thinking it’s a good thing seems to be a hallmark trait of low self esteem people.

The emotional self reflection is good though everyone should do that.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
If you've read my book or have been reading the articles I've been posting, you know that I'm a huge nerd when it comes to psychology and philosophy, especially when applied to entrepreneurship. I'm fascinated by the potential of the human mind and the ways in which we grow as individuals.

Well, this one is all about that—all about us and our relationships—but the darker parts of it. The parts that the positivity junkies like to push away and hide. Why? Because it has to do with the emotions people don't typically want to experience. And... well, why don't we just get to it instead of talking about it?

Enjoy!

———

Are there people in your life that you just can't stand?

Like, they have some serious issues and are constantly testing you?

These people probably annoy you, make you angry. Hell, you might even hate them, or consider them your enemy.

You may secretly hope they'll disappear from your life. That way, you would have to see their stupid face or hear their stupid remarks. You won't have to compromise your peace or "bite your tongue."

In short, you won't have to deal with those triggers anymore...

But, what if I told you that those triggers won't disappear?

That you'll just find someone else who will make you feel that way?

Or—something radical here—what if that person you're thinking of right now might be the 'good guy' in your story?

If there's someone like this in your life and you're reading this and immediately feeling turned-off—thinking "no way"—I'd like to introduce you to a natural defense mechanism that we all have.

In the field of psychology, they call this the "Shadow Self".

The Shadow is the part of us that contains all aspects of ourselves that we don't want to admit to having—it’s our emotional blind spot.

It's made up of the ideas, desires, weaknesses, fears, instincts, and shortcomings we have that we push away.

We develop this shadow when we adapt to cultural norms and the expectations of our parents and other authority figures. And it reveals itself to us (if we're aware enough to notice it) as negative, often automatic, unintentional, and unconscious responses to events, people, and situations.

Basically, we act defensively, become impatient, resist change, manipulate others, or act territorial and aggressive—here's the tragic part—without even realizing we're doing so.

You and I might think we know what we're doing and why we're doing it... What we're saying and why we're saying it... But that's not always the case. There are usually deeper motives to our behavior than we originally think. The fact is, we are cognitively flawed and not perfectly self-aware.

And the thing about the shadow is, everyone has within them a shadow. You too. And me. All of us do. The sooner we can accept that, the sooner we begin to explore ours.

One way to do that is to stop blaming others. Instead, welcome the idea that these people are somehow serving you as a mirror, piercing into the depths of your own soul.

Radical idea, maybe.

Just give it a try.

When you feel strong emotions that seem to be out of place, just pause and reflect.

"Why am I feeling this way?"

"What part of me is making me think this way?"

"Are these emotions pointing to some limiting belief I have?"

"Is this person showing me some part of myself that I don't want to accept?"

These people may actually be doing some messed up things. But consider where in your life you've behaved even remotely similarly.

When you can identify the basis behind those strong "negative" emotions, you can begin to accept them. When you can accept your emotions and why you feel them, you can begin to accept yourself. When you can accept yourself, you can begin to work on yourself.

"The curious paradox is that when I accept myself just as I am, then I change." — Carl Rogers

———

This is, in large part, what happens when you visit a therapist or psychologist for issues like this—they help you navigate your "darker" emotions in such a way that you can accept them, where you can accept yourself. So, if you apply the tactics in this article, you may save yourself hundreds or thousands of dollars that you would otherwise pay for treatment—and maybe even a few relationships.

I think it’s appropriate to end with a quote about the shadow by a master in the field of psychology, Carl Jung: "People will do anything, no matter how absurd, in order to avoid facing their own souls. One does not become enlightened by imagining figures of light, but by making the darkness conscious."
Important to learn to live and manage with people who don’t fit your expectations.

Unless you are in a A team working with A customers only..

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
466%
Mar 15, 2018

I can replace my friends, my girlfriend, my employees, my customers. Anyone I don’t like gets the boot.

I hated most people at school and most of any coworkers I had. I thought “everyone is a useless retarded bitch” and I used to think “maybe it’s me…” it absolutely wasn’t me, I was around stupid people.

Now I love everyone in my life and have so much less stress. They are all on my side and I spend 0 time on people that cause me any problems. Instantly replaced. I don’t have to be around anyone I don’t like.

Always getting pushback and criticism from idiots and thinking it’s a good thing seems to be a hallmark trait of low self esteem people.

There is a difference between associating yourself with stupid people and accepting that we have blind spots.

If you find yourself the smartest guy in the room, you are in the wrong room.

I try to hire employees who are in some way smarter, better and different than me. My analysts are anal (detail oriented) and can drive me nuts. But they are immensely valuable to my business.

Everyone at my shop knows that the fastest way to get fired is to stop having your own opinion in a meeting with me. Your post makes me feel like you are creating an echo chamber, where groupthink around you has long taken over. Anyone you don’t like gets canceled… hope I’m wrong.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
635%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
There is a difference between associating yourself with stupid people and accepting that we have blind spots.

If you find yourself the smartest guy in the room, you are in the wrong room.

I try to hire employees who are in some way smarter, better and different than me. My analysts are anal (detail oriented) and can drive me nuts. But they are immensely valuable to my business.

Everyone at my shop knows that the fastest way to get fired is to stop having your own opinion in a meeting with me. Your post makes me feel like you are creating an echo chamber, where groupthink around you has long taken over. Anyone you don’t like gets canceled… hope I’m wrong.
I just like the 100% freedom to choose for myself who I’m around and it’s a valuable reason to be the boss. Everyone is here because it’s my choice. I don’t get to complain about anyone because 100% of it is up to me.

G

GuestUser4aMPs1

I welcome the idiots.

Turns out even "idiots" can point out when I'm wrong.

Knowing how to handle disagreements and truly low-value people on the other hand, is an important skill.

What about selling people cold? Don't get me started.

Tough skin is better than tough insulation.

Woosah

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
235%
Jan 6, 2022

I just like the 100% freedom to choose for myself who I’m around and it’s a valuable reason to be the boss. Everyone is here because it’s my choice. I don’t get to complain about anyone because 100% of it is up to me.

I think it's really cool that you've created a position where you can make those calls. Also that you take complete responsibility and don't complain about the people in your life. That's admirable.

I do think there's value in receiving pushback and criticism though—value in being around people who think differently than you. Granted that these people are capable of respecting you/different viewpoints. I actually think it could be dangerous to have "everyone" on your side all the time. This implies you've surrounded yourself with "yes-men" - people who would rather have you fall to ruins than point out a mistake/flaw in your judgment.

I also don't think anyone can avoid problems. If you have friends, a girlfriend, employees, customers, etc. problems are bound to arise (unless you've created an atmosphere where people hide them from you out of fear that you'll abandon them - but even that's a far stretch). Problems kinda come packaged with relationships. Sure, there are some relationships that cause more harm than good, ones that are better off ended, but I don't think there's anything "bad" about having a certain degree of problems in life/relationships. If anything, as @Antifragile and @Mike Partee pointed out, they help you see things differently and grow.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.