The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Software professional - Starting up

DeepKulshreshtha

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Feb 21, 2023
Hey Team,

Am a software professional from India. Read MJ's books and caught the bug.

But for a longgggg time, did not have clarify on WHAT an HOW, I should proceed. Maybe the task was too challenging for me, to start. So, in sprit of small steps ... i decided to start with a small project.

I found a common problem, for Software Job seekers. And decided to solve it.

This will add value in a very small way, and might not generate any $$ for me. But, this will allow me to experience the end to end journey of value creation. Screw it .. lets do it !

Some things I've realized till now ...

1. Many people can create pieces of value, but tying them all together is a LOT of work.
Meaning, end to end value creation is difficult. And therefore very valuable.

I am a Backend heavy software engineer. So UI/ Design, website deployment and other such things are new/ challenging for me.
At the same time, I realize that the insights I have as a backend guy would be VERY difficult for someone else to have; Slight edge for me.

2. Things take longer in reality than they do in our minds.
Learning new technologies, skills etc is a lot of work. Its draining on the mind and body.

3. Something @Andy Black mentioned on one of his videos ... Start the work and then look for what is needed (thanks Andy)- is the faster entrepreneurial way. Its faster for sure.
This, instead of what we are traditionally taught - get skilled, then attempt to solve a problem

Lets see how things go.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AppleTree

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jun 27, 2023
Good job in starting! As a software developer I'm really interested to see what the tool would look like.

DeepKulshreshtha

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Feb 21, 2023
Completed the first draft. @ Job Keywords Finder

I got laid off from my job recently. ( first time in my career )
During the subsequent job search, I did not know which keywords to use in my resume. And assumed others might face similar issues.

So solved the problem, end to end.

What was done ...

1. Crawled job sites for lots of data
2. Ran Machine learning algos on the data
3. Got the result and created a UI to show it.

Each job profile has 4 types of keywords ..
  • Tech
  • Concept
  • Soft skills
  • Other

Improvements still to be done ( cosmetic and otherwise ). This is only the first draft.

Next - Look to add value in a more direct way to job finders. Let's see how that goes.

DeepKulshreshtha

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Feb 21, 2023
So, did these things next ....

• Learnt the functionality to create a file upload.
  • Added functionality for job finders - to "drag and drop" their resumes and get the list of missing keywords. The keywords will better match them to their prospective jobs.
  • Job finders can be dumb and will get the best keywords, which can match them to their prospective jobs.
  • Got a domain and linked the app ( turned out to be more difficult than I expected it to be )

React App

Next steps ...

• Beautify the site a bit ( not spending too much time )
  • Fix some functional issues
  • Advertise the site on my LinkedIn profile
  • Share the site on productHunt.com to get feedback.
Lets see where we go next.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...