The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Have an idea. have no idea where to go with it. Kind of

Idea threads

ryanbleau

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jun 22, 2014
Scottsdale , Az
Since moving cross country and falling into a new trade , Ive noticed some old injuries being agitated by the repetitive nature of one specific and necessary task. I've come up with a simple drill attachment to eliminate the potentially career ending task. I've even figured out how to make it adjustable to cover multiple tasks.

Having discussed this repetitive motion injury with others in this trade I've discovered the need is profound for this tool. The amount of them within just my shop with this type of injury is near 100% .

I found a need. I found a solution. I found multiple ways of designing this tool from simple to overly complicated to corner just about anyway someone may be able to copy this concept. My biggest problem is getting a prototype made. If i had the money to make or buy the tooling or a 3d printer i would already have it. My mechanical drawing sucks. Ive had limited use of CAD programs but if i had the 3d printer i could figure it out as I go. I've tried to source gears from all over and coming up short with exactly what I need. Ive been letting it develop in my free time over the last few months but lately I've been fighting to give this idea life.

Any ideas how to get this done or to secure funding with only an idea and a drawing?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Harti

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Jun 28, 2014
1. Get presales by offering special discounts or bonuses
2. Have the MVP built with that money
3. Launch it to your beta testers
4. Fix all problems, then launch to the public

That's it in short. Of course you'll encounter many moments of fear and desperation, but hey.... if it was easy, everyone would do it. :)

All the best,
Harti

hatzil

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Nov 29, 2015
Israel
Since moving cross country and falling into a new trade , Ive noticed some old injuries being agitated by the repetitive nature of one specific and necessary task. I've come up with a simple drill attachment to eliminate the potentially career ending task. I've even figured out how to make it adjustable to cover multiple tasks.

Having discussed this repetitive motion injury with others in this trade I've discovered the need is profound for this tool. The amount of them within just my shop with this type of injury is near 100% .

I found a need. I found a solution. I found multiple ways of designing this tool from simple to overly complicated to corner just about anyway someone may be able to copy this concept. My biggest problem is getting a prototype made. If i had the money to make or buy the tooling or a 3d printer i would already have it. My mechanical drawing sucks. Ive had limited use of CAD programs but if i had the 3d printer i could figure it out as I go. I've tried to source gears from all over and coming up short with exactly what I need. Ive been letting it develop in my free time over the last few months but lately I've been fighting to give this idea life.

Any ideas how to get this done or to secure funding with only an idea and a drawing?

you should read "One Simple Idea- by Stepehen Key" , maybe that will give u a direction

ryanbleau

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jun 22, 2014
Scottsdale , Az
1. Get presales by offering special discounts or bonuses
2. Have the MVP built with that money
3. Launch it to your beta testers
4. Fix all problems, then launch to the public

That's it in short. Of course you'll encounter many moments of fear and desperation, but hey.... if it was easy, everyone would do it. :)

All the best,
Harti

Good idea but due to the complexity and the market I see this tool as getting licensed to a larger tool maker. AS much as I would trust my own salesmanship I would rather just receive royalties than be constrained by having to manufacture it. I'm up to 10 different iterations than can be built relatively cheap but in no way have the funding to get it off the ground much less source the parts at this moment

marklov

It is a Tiger That Devours Me but I am The Tiger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Mar 30, 2014
but in no way have the funding to get it off the ground much less source the parts at this moment

Do you have stuff you can sell?

ryanbleau

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jun 22, 2014
Scottsdale , Az
Nothing to sell at the moment but diving back into CAD . Hopefully I can figure out how to put my ideas in a way they can be understood. Other than that I'm putting out the word to a couple of investors this week.

PaulRobert

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 15, 2009
New Jersey
Why do you have to buy a 3d printer right now? Have someone with a 3D printer make it. This is 2016, making prototypes is getting easier and easier and less expensive. Hire company, have them sign NDA, 3D print prototype and boom you've got working prototypes.

Make the process simpler not more complex.

ryanbleau

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jun 22, 2014
Scottsdale , Az
because the most reasonable service I have found is $150 an hour to design in 3d and 60 an hour to print . Id rather spend the time and money to learn the skill and have the hardware. Easier to make changes to a design if you can do it yourself instead of have a 2 week turnaround and several thousand dollars later.

million$$$smile

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
703%
Dec 25, 2012
Midwest
Good idea but due to the complexity and the market I see this tool as getting licensed to a larger tool maker. AS much as I would trust my own salesmanship I would rather just receive royalties than be constrained by having to manufacture it. I'm up to 10 different iterations than can be built relatively cheap but in no way have the funding to get it off the ground much less source the parts at this moment

If you believe it is a good idea, then the least you should do is apply for a design and or a utility patent before submitting to any tool manufacturers.

I have heard good results from C.H. Hanson Co.
http://www.chhanson.com/invent.html
They also provide a nice primer and information for anyone desiring to submit an idea...

But they are not the only ones. Even Sears/Craftsman is interested in new ideas
I would contact some of the major players in that particular market if you really want to only collect royalties.

But please do your due diligence first!

Also, I am NOT affiliated in any way or receive compensation from said manufacturers nor am I an attorney.

R

OldFaithful

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Mar 11, 2016
Northwest Indiana
It's been a couple months, so perhaps this input is too late to help the OP, but here goes anyway.

the least you should do is apply for a design and or a utility patent
Good advice on the design patent, but there is little you can do if the copying is done offshore.

From my experience in engineering/manufacturing, I'd suggest either of 2 methods to acquire prototypes. I say this because these are the techniques I've used in my slowlane career:

1) Get a 3D model that shows the overall layout,components, size and be sure that your mental picture is transferred to the CAD.
2) Show the 3D model to an engineer and get input on the material selection, material strength, failure modes, loading, safety factors, assembly techniques, etc.
3) Have the 3D model revised based on the input from the engineer and then produce 2D prints for components that will have to be machined/stamped/purchased off the shelf, etc. Some components can be mfg'd directly from the 3D model, particularly SLAs or 3D printing of plastic parts.
4) Send the prints/models to individual suppliers that can produce each part. Ask for design input, quotes, info about their prototyping method, etc. (This requires that you figure out how each part should be made and find a supplier that can do it.)
5) Purchase prototype pieces and assemble yourself. This reduces the risk that someone else will see your completed product and beat you to market.
Notes:
Steps 1, 2 & 3 can be outsourced through any of the many freelancing websites, or you can swap hats and perform any of these steps yourself.
If you're not concerned with the viability of your prototype, but just want something in hand quickly, you can skip step 2.

OR

A) Select a contract manufacturer from the plethora on the web. They might be foreign or domestic. They can perform all steps necessary to get you from concept to physical prototype, and make your life much easier...but this does have a downside.
They will likely require a commitment to provide you the production product.
They will most definitely require convincing that you have sales to back up their investment/involvement.
They will be more expensive that the 5 steps above.
B) There are specialty prototyping shops that are a subset of contract manufacturing. Just do a google search for them. They can take you from concept to prototype but without the commitment of future sales. Thus they are the easiest but most expensive option.

Jeremy Groover

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Nov 26, 2014
Orlando Florida
because the most reasonable service I have found is $150 an hour to design in 3d and 60 an hour to print . Id rather spend the time and money to learn the skill and have the hardware. Easier to make changes to a design if you can do it yourself instead of have a 2 week turnaround and several thousand dollars later.

Your sweating the pennies bud. Whats $1000.00? I understand the reasoning. I can do it why not do it. Time. Thats why. You might miss out on this if you spend 6 months trying to figure out a way to save $1000.00. Take a sheet of paper and describe to the T what you want your product to be. Then doodle a few pictures to the best of your ability. Outsource the job to someone local that would be passionate about making this happen. Take care of the legal stuff so you dont get zuckerberg'd. Get the outside of your product designed first with no guts on the inside. Then start talking to investors with it in hand. Explain how it will work and keep it rolling from there. Like I said, don't sweat over the pennies because your paying $1000.00 for a $10 piece of plastic. Getting the ball rolling fast is the goal. Hit the ground running, not crawling.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.