The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Entrepreneurship, Dilemmas, and Rants... Business Ownership at 18 [Progress Thread]

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

JJHemingway

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Jun 29, 2023
Introduction:
I want to share this just in the off chance someone learns from my progress. I also want to do this as a way to keep myself accountable.

In
High School I picked up some computer skills from online which eventually led to helping out my neighbors. My father was well known within our neighborhood for property maintenance so I was able to grab some of his clients that needed tech work. While in school, work was sparse and I only saw new customers a few times a month. I mostly stuck to part-time jobs for and income.

Fast-Forward to Now
Graduated from High School a few months ago a read TMF , Unscripted , And The Great Rat Race Escape which has given me incredible insight into how we should all seek to provide value and how that the freedom and autonomy that I dream of is only achievable through entrepreneurship. This lead me to completely focus on my business and drop habits like social media, gaming, and hanging out doing nothing with my old friends. I've also prioritized my health by cutting out junk foods and working out.

Progress...
I've increased the my sales to the point that I've made more than I had working part time. Learned HTML and CSS as a way to get a website up while increasing my skill set. I've dug into SEO as well as copywriting to improve my sales.

Current Dilemma/Rant
My current issue now is settling on what I want to do and self-doubts

I'm proud of the progress I've made so far, but I really am not sure how viable a residential IT company is. I basically provide the same services as computer repair companies along with in home installations. I've gotten sales which mean I've won the value-competition, this issue is that I don't know how profitable it can really be. I only have a few ways I have provided value-skews compared to my competition. Even then, I'm not sure how far that can take me.

I really don't know if I should switch gears and focus on learning a new skill set. I don't feel like I'm currently satisfying a strong market need with what I do. I also feel like I'm only sticking to this business because it's what I already had running for me.
I know that I can learn anything if I can spot a strong reason to learn it, but focusing is hard when I worry about making the next sale so I can cover my bills.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
G

Guest050x2

I'm in tech as a developer. I wouldn't bother learning development at this point, tbh.

Stick to what you're doing. Tech support, tech repair, installation, etc. will continue growing, and it will more than likely be a while before we have drones that fly to the client's house to automate home installations. You can further build on this via B2B marketing/clients, too.

I'll parrot this for the next few decades as it'll always be true: the technology used in 99.9% of businesses/companies/offices/apartment buildings/laundromats/etc. is drastically outdated, and will more than likely not be replaced any time soon. Even more so in regards to residential systems.

Personally, if my tech experience were in hardware/installation/repair vs development, I'd purchase a transit van, and launch a tech repair/installation business.

Cheers.

JJHemingway

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Jun 29, 2023
I'm in tech as a developer. I wouldn't bother learning development at this point, tbh.

Stick to what you're doing. Tech support, tech repair, installation, etc. will continue growing, and it will more than likely be a while before we have drones that fly to the client's house to automate home installations. You can further build on this via B2B marketing/clients, too.

I'll parrot this for the next few decades as it'll always be true: the technology used in 99.9% of businesses/companies/offices/apartment buildings/laundromats/etc. is drastically outdated, and will more than likely not be replaced any time soon. Even more so in regards to residential systems.

Personally, if my tech experience were in hardware/installation/repair vs development, I'd purchase a transit van, and launch a tech repair/installation business.

Cheers.
Thank you, Oso. There definitely is a need for replacing outdated tech. I do think most of the work for that would be in B2B. From my experience, individual residents always having newer equipment already owned

FrYo

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Apr 15, 2020
FRANCE
It seems like, at this point, your problem is how to make more sales, not how to make a website or any coding skills.
The problem-based learning approach seems more relevant.
Learn only the things that you need to solve the problem in front of you.
You should learn how to market your already acquired skills and how to make more sales in your field.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.