The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Would you like help learning to code / build your own apps?

Why would you like help learning to code?

• Total voters

PatrickWho

Coffee-fueled Programmer
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Aug 4, 2017
Canada
Hello all,

I'm a new member to the forum.

Having worked as a developer for a while, I have experience developing websites and web applications.

I've been trolling the forum since joining a couple of days ago, and I'm pretty pleased to see so many interested in learning to code. :) It's something I enjoy quite a bit.

Here's the thing... I really like learning new things, especially when it pertains to programming. I also like helping people that are eager to learn.

I already take time to write tutorials online, etc. but if I can help eager learners out here at the forum, I figure it would be a good way to meet some new people and contribute a bit.

So I'm just putting some feelers out right now...

Would anyone be interested in seeing me go through some of the free learning material online (Free Code Camp, Code Academy, etc.)? I'm picturing a sort of peek over my shoulder experience as I go through the material.

Along the way I would explain things as simply as possible, fill in gaps left by the course material, provide tons of examples and even more exercises to solidify the learning.

I'm thinking another forum for questions and help may be a good idea, too.

I'd start with HTML and CSS and then move onto JavaScript asap with the ultimate goal of getting people to a point where they can build their own prototypes for their application ideas.

I already have some ideas to make this as simple as possible. For those that want to really become programmers, they'll get a good foundation, but for those that just want to learn to hack together their ideas, that will be my main focus; no need to get in depth with computer science to make it happen.

And of course this would all be completely free.

What do I get out of this?

Again, I really enjoy the subject matter, and I get a kick out of seeing others enjoy it, too.

I like writing tutorials and teaching, and this gives me a great way to get better at it.

Finally, I'm not really sure what I want to do in the fastlane, yet, but I'm going to focus on creating and producing first and see where this leads me.

When I was first learning programming myself, I was frustrated that so many courses lacked the context and practice ideas I needed to really excel. I suspect this is where I can help a lot of people.

If you're interested, please choose all that applies to you in the poll.

Feel free to reply with questions, suggestions, more details.

If enough people are interested, I'll make this happen, but ONLY if there is enough interest. Please take the time to share this thread if you know anyone that may be interested.

Finally, would it be alright if I setup a MailCheat(Chimp) form to keep track of everyone interested? I'm just trying to make it simple to keep everyone informed when the lessons are completed and ready for viewing.

Please visit my personal website if you'd like to learn a bit more about me: Dev in Context - Simple tutorials and code samples to help you learn.

In the sidebar there are links to my LinkedIn profile, etc.

Thanks in advance, everyone! :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AvEngr.

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
325%
Sep 23, 2017
Philippines
Hello all,

Having worked as a developer for a while, I have experience developing websites and web applications.

I've been trolling the forum since joining a couple of days ago, and I'm pretty pleased to see so many interested in learning to code. :) It's something I enjoy quite a bit.

Here's the thing... I really like learning new things, especially when it pertains to programming. I also like helping people that are eager to learn.

I already take time to write tutorials online, etc. but if I can help eager learners out here at the forum, I figure it would be a good way to meet some new people and contribute a bit.

Would anyone be interested in seeing me go through some of the free learning material online (Free Code Camp, Code Academy, etc.)? I'm picturing a sort of peek over my shoulder experience as I go through the material.

Along the way I would explain things as simply as possible, fill in gaps left by the course material, provide tons of examples and even more exercises to solidify the learning.

I'd start with HTML and CSS and then move onto JavaScript asap with the ultimate goal of getting people to a point where they can build their own prototypes for their application ideas.

I already have some ideas to make this as simple as possible. For those that want to really become programmers, they'll get a good foundation, but for those that just want to learn to hack together their ideas, that will be my main focus; no need to get in depth with computer science to make it happen.

Again, I really enjoy the subject matter, and I get a kick out of seeing others enjoy it, too.

I like writing tutorials and teaching, and this gives me a great way to get better at it.

Finally, I'm not really sure what I want to do in the fastlane, yet, but I'm going to focus on creating and producing first and see where this leads me.

When I was first learning programming myself, I was frustrated that so many courses lacked the context and practice ideas I needed to really excel. I suspect this is where I can help a lot of people.

If enough people are interested, I'll make this happen, but ONLY if there is enough interest. Please take the time to share this thread if you know anyone that may be interested.

Finally, would it be alright if I setup a MailCheat(Chimp) form to keep track of everyone interested? I'm just trying to make it simple to keep everyone informed when the lessons are completed and ready for viewing.

Please visit my personal website if you'd like to learn a bit more about me: Dev in Context - Simple tutorials and code samples to help you learn.

Your timing couldn't have been any better. I hope enough people are interested for this to push through.

just10

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Jul 16, 2017
Knoxville
Hello all,

I started learning coding but my problem is it taking a while to be able to apply what your learning with an applications in the real world. It would be very beneficial if you were able to fill in these gaps. I lost steam a few months ago and I feel this might help keep me motivated. Excited to see the interest from the community.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
I started learning coding but my problem is it taking a while to be able to apply what your learning with an applications in the real world. It would be very beneficial if you were able to fill in these gaps. I lost steam a few months ago and I feel this might help keep me motivated. Excited to see the interest from the community.

Just pick an app you like to use and try to duplicate some portion of its functionality.

PatrickWho

Coffee-fueled Programmer
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Aug 4, 2017
Canada
Thank you @AvEngr. and @just10 Unfortunately, no one but yourselves have expressed any interest.

Nevertheless, I have started working on a course aimed at helping developers get more proficient / confident at taking an app from start to finish. It may help.

Just shoot me a PM with your emails and I'll drop you a line when I'm ready. I hope to have the beta run done before the end of the year.

Maxboost

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Apr 4, 2016
how would you code a game for the ios app store?

What would be the steps?

PatrickWho

Coffee-fueled Programmer
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Aug 4, 2017
Canada
Sorry, @Maxboost . I haven't done any iOS / Android apps, so I do not know the procedure for getting an app in their respective stores. I can't imagine it's too complicated, though.

As for developing the game itself, again, I'm not sure. I'm not a game developer, so I'm really not sure what goes into it.

A quick Google search should yield some decent info, though.

racyred09

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
359%
Nov 28, 2017
USA
how would you code a game for the ios app store?

What would be the steps?

First you need to learn Swift. Download Xcode and check out Code with Chris: https://codewithchris.com/learn-swift/
I've not tried myself but heard good things about "Swift Playground" if you have an iPad (I don't). It's supposed to be a fun way to learn Swift and could reinforce the CwC stuff.
Then once you have an app you're happy with, submit it to app review, following these guidelines: Submitting Your App to the Store.

Good luck!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.