The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

Which percentage should I pay sales agents?

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

Dominik_M

New Contributor
Jan 29, 2018
Hi!
I developed a SaaS product that I'm launching now.
One sold account results in an average revenue of 3000$ per year.
My product only applies to a nieche market of approx 15000 businesses.
This is why it is very hard reaching them and I'd like selling only via sales agents visiting those companies and showing our product.
I do have a list with 8500 entries including company names and addresses of only those relevant businesses.
I'd like to give those sales agents a percentage of the profit I'm making by the customers they acquired.
How much should I pay them?
In their case it would be a lifetime income as long as those customers stay with our company.
I'm thinking somewhere around 5-20%.
Any suggestions on that?

Thanks.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Reactions: Kid

Kevin88660

Silver Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
Hi!
I developed a SaaS product that I'm launching now.
One sold account results in an average revenue of 3000$ per year.
My product only applies to a nieche market of approx 15000 businesses.
This is why it is very hard reaching them and I'd like selling only via sales agents visiting those companies and showing our product.
I do have a list with 8500 entries including company names and addresses of only those relevant businesses.
I'd like to give those sales agents a percentage of the profit I'm making by the customers they acquired.
How much should I pay them?
In their case it would be a lifetime income as long as those customers stay with our company.
I'm thinking somewhere around 5-20%.
Any suggestions on that?

Thanks.
Recurring payments will not be attractive to agents because not all are looking to stay in one company till retirement and they are not sure if your company can last forever.

if the sales agents do not have to do servicing, a one time payment would be good, 30-50 percent of the first year revenue.

JAJT

Ha Ha! Business
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
There's a million ways to skin the sales cat, but know this - any inside sales person worth their salt is going to want at least 50-60k per year. Outside sales people expect 80-100k+

If your sales model doesn't factor in paying these people about this amount (or more) for doing a good job, you'll almost certainly have issues.

Salespeople stick around and do a good job when they get paid well for their efforts. If they spin their wheels for peanuts you can expect high turnover.

OP
OP
D

Dominik_M

New Contributor
Jan 29, 2018
Thanks a lot for your replies.
I might have expressed myself wrong here:
Those salespeople are not employees of mine.
They are freelancers and might even have other projects they're working on.
Doesn't this change the situation a bit?

Kevin88660

Silver Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
Thanks a lot for your replies.
I might have expressed myself wrong here:
Those salespeople are not employees of mine.
They are freelancers and might even have other projects they're working on.
Doesn't this change the situation a bit?
Not quite. I already assumed this when you are looking at paying them a significant portion of the revenue.

A high percentage is necessary since they have to fork out the actual cost of running the sales.

You need a good sales manager to lead and motivate them too. Company loves Commission only agents because they have no risk.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
Just Enrolled to "Start a Freelance Business: Take back your freedom Now" Thanks! @Lex...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Welcome to 2020, I wanted to add in a quick note about gratitude for the new year...

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe to become an INSIDER.

The 2020 Fastlane Summit

This event SOLD OUT in October. For authorized resale tickets, please check ticket resales or contact the forum directly.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom