The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

Whattup nerds, New Zealand is Making Games to Teach You Business

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

ApparentHorizon

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
NZ is apparently spending $150k to make a Tech Tycoon and Restaurant Tycoon game that teaches you how to be a CEO.

Government spends $150,000 to create video game to teach people how to run a business

Actually this may be a bit more interesting to turn your kids onto.

Now the same dopamine life sucking mechanisms can be used for the greater good!

The tech one seems to be just an office setting....kind of bland looking. IDK how this is going to keep anyone's attention: Tech Executive Tycoon on Steam

They should have turned up the saturation and brightness, and made it more cartoony.

Can't find the restaurant one. Prob still in development.

Games are no joke though. I learned a good bit when I was a wee lad from strategy and sim management , which were all the rage back then.

Age of empires - learning to manage resources
Rollercoaster Tycoon - building your own theme park (Crash course in P/L)
Sim City - Also managing finances and resources

Not a huge deal when you're past those years, but to a 10-15 year old, you open up a whole new way of thinking.

(I made my first sale around that time too. $150 for a simple HTML4 website. The kind you coded completely from hand, and used tables for layouts)

They'll play games anyway, (Video game industry has overtaken Hollywood) and the shooters these days (which I'm guilty of splurging on once or twice a week) doesn't do much good. (Studies show the FPS genre actually helps with hand eye coordination, but not sure how that really helps anyone.)

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Danny Sullivan

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jul 2, 2018
Germany
I'd like to throw in GearCity on Steam . It's basically an excel spreadsheet simulator with an indepth business simulation and an ultraviolent-nightmare difficulty which actually deserves the name. It has a very steep learning curve and i definitely spend too much time in this game. The developer (Eric) is the uncrowned king of customer support in steam and although this is not a Fastlane business, he's definitely doing an excellent job over there.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
Just Enrolled to "Start a Freelance Business: Take back your freedom Now" Thanks! @Lex...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Welcome to 2020, I wanted to add in a quick note about gratitude for the new year...

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe to become an INSIDER.

The 2020 Fastlane Summit

This event SOLD OUT in October. For authorized resale tickets, please check ticket resales or contact the forum directly.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom