The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

BOOK What does MJ mean when he says "except in the reverse" (regarding paying off debts)?

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

yogiahimsa

New Contributor
Feb 13, 2019
Hello,
I am curious about the exact meaning of the passage on P.316 of the Millionaire Fastlane:
"Escaping credit card debt requires a commitment to process over event, except in the reverse."

The context: "Or perhaps you live in a house that’s just too expensive and you have paid for everyday staples like groceries using your credit card. Escaping credit card debt requires a commitment to process over event, except in the reverse. Repent from the Sidewalk and make new choices that are designed to keep your debt from growing, or better, to get it declining."

I am leading students (non-native speaker of English) to read the book for a school bookclub, so I need to understand the content as best as I can, so I really need help with this "except in the reverse." Thank you.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
Hello,
I am curious about the exact meaning of the passage on P.316 of the Millionaire Fastlane:
"Escaping credit card debt requires a commitment to process over event, except in the reverse."

The context: "Or perhaps you live in a house that’s just too expensive and you have paid for everyday staples like groceries using your credit card. Escaping credit card debt requires a commitment to process over event, except in the reverse. Repent from the Sidewalk and make new choices that are designed to keep your debt from growing, or better, to get it declining."

I am leading students (non-native speaker of English) to read the book for a school bookclub, so I need to understand the content as best as I can, so I really need help with this "except in the reverse." Thank you.
I believe he means.
The fastlane is the process to achieve financial freedom -> more money
escaping credit card debt is the process of eliminating your dept -> less debt
less is reverse of more

OP
OP
Y

yogiahimsa

New Contributor
Feb 13, 2019
I believe he means.
less is reverse of more
Many thanks, luniac:) Your interpretation makes perfect sense! Thanks for the help!

biophase

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I believe he means.
less is reverse of more
Hmm, I don't read it that way. But I don't know what to think of it.

Tagging @MJ DeMarco so we can hear from the source.

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
It means it was a PROCESS to get in debt... buying stuff here, buying stuff there...

It means you need to reverse THE PROCESS to get OUT of debt... not buying stuff here and there, and instead paying the debt off, here and there.

Process got you in debt. (Buying too much)
Process will get you out of debt. (Buying too little)

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
I believe he means.
escaping credit card debt is the process of eliminating your debt -> less debt
less is reverse of more
Not really how I meant it, but I appreciate the interpretation!

advantagecp

Bronze Contributor
Feb 7, 2015
Hello,

My problem with "Escaping credit card debt requires a commitment to process over event, except in the reverse" is that on the face of it it seems to be calling for a commitment to event over process...which we know he doesn't mean.

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. (There's a nice idiomatic term for your non-native speakers). I didn't understand it either, and I have a passion for the language.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
My problem with "Escaping credit card debt requires a commitment to process over event, except in the reverse" is that on the face of it it seems to be calling for a commitment to event over process...which we know he doesn't mean.

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. (There's a nice idiomatic term for your non-native speakers). I didn't understand it either, and I have a passion for the language.
That's actually how I read it also. That the event was to decide to escape credit card debt and the process was doing it. So the event came first then the process. But I knew that's not what he meant either.

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
Clearly I need to rewrite that blurb as it is not being interpreted as I meant. Author's fault, not reader.

OP
OP
Y

yogiahimsa

New Contributor
Feb 13, 2019
It means it was a PROCESS to get in debt... buying stuff here, buying stuff there...

It means you need to reverse THE PROCESS to get OUT of debt... not buying stuff here and there, and instead paying the debt off, here and there.

Process got you in debt. (Buying too much)
Process will get you out of debt. (Buying too little)
Thank you, MJ! Not just for this helpful note, but for the invaluable advice in your book!

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
Advanced Upwork Proposals II IS FINALLY LIVE! Here's a look at what's inside: Improved YOU...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Here is where you eliminate uncertainty from the future! I wanted to post this image as I...
MARKETPLACE KAK’s “Kill Bigger” Incubation Program- With DAILY personal attention.
Hey Guys! I wanted to give a quick update on what this program has become. In its infancy, we...

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe to become an INSIDER.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected - Please Disable

Yes, ads can be annoying. But please...

...to support the Unscripted/Fastlane mission (and to respect the immense amount of time needed to manage this forum) please DISABLE your ad-block. Thank you.

I've Disabled AdBlock