The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Value of Capital Vs Labour

Anything related to investing, including crypto

Lee Wright

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Feb 28, 2018
Orange, NSW, Australia
Someone I think on this forum suggested that capital is simply "distilled labour". That's a very interesting idea. It got me thinking.

Let's say I go out & work for an hour to earn $10 of capital. Being a lazy a$$ I then think to myself, mmm I might send my $10 capital to work for an hour instead of going to work myself. How much could I expect to earn? Well if the stock market earns say 10% PER ANNUM, what would I get for 1 hour of use of that capital assuming 40 hours per week? Let's see, $10 x 10% /50 weeks /40hrs = 0.05 cents. 1 hour of labour is therefore 20,000 times more valuable than capital.

Am I missing something here? Have I stuffed up the maths?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jobless

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jun 8, 2017
EU
The 10$ capital does not disappear when invested, and can keep earning a return every hour, year after year. An hour spent is an hour gone, but capital invested is not spent, it is exchanged for an asset that persists despite time passing.

The value of labour is measured in capital ($). But capital is not measured in labour. An hour of labour is a quantity of value not a fixed unit.

You measure mass in kilograms, but not kilograms in mass. 'Mass' is a physical quantity, not a unit.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
633%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Now you see how valuable time is.

And it's the only thing you can't go get more of.

The stock market is not putting money to work for you.

It's just buying and selling. Just like sneakerheads, pokemon card collectors, etc. Just with tiny fractions of companies.

When I put money to work for me, I can buy a truck and trailer and hire a crew and make 70 grand of profit.

Thinking in either "work at an hourly job" or "invest in the market" terms exclusively is a very slowlane mindset.

If the returns of "putting your money to work" are 10% yearly, you should see the returns of putting your creativity to work for you. 10-100x returns.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Someone I think on this forum suggested that capital is simply "distilled labour". That's a very interesting idea. It got me thinking.

Let's say I go out & work for an hour to earn $10 of capital. Being a lazy a$$ I then think to myself, mmm I might send my $10 capital to work for an hour instead of going to work myself. How much could I expect to earn? Well if the stock market earns say 10% PER ANNUM, what would I get for 1 hour of use of that capital assuming 40 hours per week? Let's see, $10 x 10% /50 weeks /40hrs = 0.05 cents. 1 hour of labour is therefore 20,000 times more valuable than capital.

Am I missing something here? Have I stuffed up the maths?
The terms Capital and labor come from the age of industrialization in the 18th and 19th century.

Capital meant machinery, which workers spend time and effort to produce stuff.

Capital can be viewed as a final product of labor. Since it takes human effort to build machine.

Which is more valuable depends on the relative scarcity. When labor is in shortage now snd corporate cash reserves are record high, labor can be said to be more valuable.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.