The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Sourcing Programmers

Anything related to sourcing or importing products.

Taz

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
Sep 15, 2019
I have a really good idea for a website for a specific function. Now I can't program it myself and I was looking into outsourcing it. But how do I make sure that my ideas don't get stolen by the people who are supposed to be designing the website for me?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Arnaud.

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Dec 8, 2019
Hello,
Just my two cents :
Every good web programmer, every competitor with money can clone your website and stole your idea except if you are technologically in advance or have biggest founds ...
So don't worry, make a contract with specific clause about that and it's will be ok !

Arnaud

serge94

Running a B2C SaaS
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Apr 20, 2020
Europe
I would make them sign an NDA before giving them my idea but execution is everything and if your idea is good enough then it will eventually get stolen, no doubt about that.

You can look up NDA templates online and then go from there, or you can speak with a lawyer that'll get you hooked up in a 1-2 hour consultation.

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
I have a really good idea for a website for a specific function. Now I can't program it myself and I was looking into outsourcing it. But how do I make sure that my ideas don't get stolen by the people who are supposed to be designing the website for me?
Thats what NDAs are for.
Dont worry about your idea getting stolen, instead focus on making it a reality.

Knugs

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jan 10, 2016

We had contract speculation for our remote designers and developers but to be honest you dont really need them. Designers and developers are usually not entrepreneurs. But if you want to be on the safe side you can give them the reason not to steal it by giving equity away in your business and making them part of the team. The advantage for you is the cheaper labour and setup cost and continously improvement of whatever you make.

Regardless any customer and visitor can steal your idea/website anyway. Especially when you have already validated how well it works.

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
Full time programmers:
  • don't have the fortitude to go start a business off of a stolen idea.
  • you risk being blacklisted from the market if you steal an idea and try to make it your own
  • if someone really wanted to, they can change the underlying structure of the code and a few features, and you wouldn't have a leg to stand on in court
If you're serious and all in...as in, you have business license, tax id, bank account, etc. Find a skilled programmer and give him a piece of your company.

If you're in "maybe" land. Outsource to someone in a non-English speaking country.

Your idea will be stolen regardless.

Look at the social networks, they're all copying each other's features. Facebook just announced they're trying to make a video streaming service like Twitch, Mixer, YouTube....

Taz

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
Sep 15, 2019
Hello,
Just my two cents :
Every good web programmer, every competitor with money can clone your website and stole your idea except if you are technologically in advance or have biggest founds ...
So don't worry, make a contract with specific clause about that and it's will be ok !

Arnaud
I would make them sign an NDA before giving them my idea but execution is everything and if your idea is good enough then it will eventually get stolen, no doubt about that.

You can look up NDA templates online and then go from there, or you can speak with a lawyer that'll get you hooked up in a 1-2 hour consultation.
Thats what NDAs are for.
Dont worry about your idea getting stolen, instead focus on making it a reality.
I'm going to look into that, I never even thought of that.
We had contract speculation for our remote designers and developers but to be honest you dont really need them. Designers and developers are usually not entrepreneurs. But if you want to be on the safe side you can give them the reason not to steal it by giving equity away in your business and making them part of the team. The advantage for you is the cheaper labour and setup cost and continously improvement of whatever you make.

Regardless any customer and visitor can steal your idea/website anyway. Especially when you have already validated how well it works.
Full time programmers:
  • don't have the fortitude to go start a business off of a stolen idea.
  • you risk being blacklisted from the market if you steal an idea and try to make it your own
  • if someone really wanted to, they can change the underlying structure of the code and a few features, and you wouldn't have a leg to stand on in court
If you're serious and all in...as in, you have business license, tax id, bank account, etc. Find a skilled programmer and give him a piece of your company.

If you're in "maybe" land. Outsource to someone in a non-English speaking country.

Your idea will be stolen regardless.

Look at the social networks, they're all copying each other's features. Facebook just announced they're trying to make a video streaming service like Twitch, Mixer, YouTube....
You make valid points, I just wanted to cover my bases. I 'm sure my idea would get copied eventually (hell my idea is a semi-copy of another) but I just didn't want to get screwed by the programmers :D.

FierceRacoon

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jun 1, 2019
The NDA's aren't worth the paper they are written on, they are more symbolic. And yes, it is totally possible to steal any idea, but your idea isn't that great. Why should they steal your idea and not hundreds of other ideas they had been exposed to?

Taz

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
Sep 15, 2019
The NDA's aren't worth the paper they are written on, they are more symbolic. And yes, it is totally possible to steal any idea, but your idea isn't that great. Why should they steal your idea and not hundreds of other ideas they had been exposed to?
Very good way to put it!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.