• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

Sometimes Price Doesn't Matter

Discussion in 'General Entrepreneur Discussion' started by msufan, Jul 17, 2018.

1. msufan

msufan Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,200
    In my own spending, I can't help but notice that I can be a tightwad in some areas and a free spender in others. When I'm buying clothing, for example, it's pretty much just a commodity to me. I look for whatever seems "good enough" and then buy it as cheaply and conveniently as possible. Most food items I buy are on sale. The kids' school supplies are during back-to-school deals, and so on.

But then it's time for my kids to play sports or go to a summer camp. Suddenly the pocketbook opens up. $250 for my kid to participate in a fall sport at school? Sign him up. $100 for a week-long art camp for my youngest kiddo. Sign her up. And so on.

We can sit here and analyze the psychology behind why I'm this way: maybe I want my kids to have it better than I did growing up. Maybe I'm all about experiences rather than stuff. Maybe I'm living vicariously through their successes. Whatever.

The more helpful point is that everyone has these areas where price doesn't matter. We as entrepreneurs can't out-Walmart Walmart. They will win the race to the bottom. So we might do well to position ourselves in an area where people have blind spots and are willing to pay whatever it takes to get the best of something.

So I started running a summer programming camp for kids. Sure enough, people plunked down $99 like it was nothing.

But I'm curious: what other areas have you all found where people are insensitive to price?

2. rollerskates

rollerskates Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,515
    I pay a lot for shoes, handbags, and hotels. I've bought groceries on clearance (only good stuff!) and dollar store shampoo, but I would never stay in a Motel 6. And I'll pay for museums, but never for movies, and I'll buy books, but never cable TV. I'll pay for organic produce, but never fast food.

I'm the opposite of most people, though. I know people who buy shoes at Payless and think nothing of spending on junk food or cable.

I agree that no one can out Walmart Walmart, so it's better to find a more upmarket product or service.

msufan, Arun Siva and Late Bloomer like this.
  3. Late Bloomer

Late Bloomer Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $7,578
    Everybody has something they're passionate about, where they're eager to pay more to get more. As I see it, my challenge is to look for the places that have these kinds of buyers, and I can reach them with marketing and sales, and what they really value is something that I can provide really well.

msufan and Arun Siva like this.