The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Seeking Health Pool/Insurance - Actual experience?

ShepardHumphries

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Feb 5, 2020
So, I am investigating changing from our current health insurance plan that costs over $18k a year for my wife and I, with a $10k deductible.

I have heard great things about "pools" like "Christian Healthcare Ministries" but I am not a Christian and I won't lie on an application and say that I don't drink. Does anyone have direct first-hand experience with health insurance or pools that might help me not re-invent the wheel and cut down on my many hours of upcoming research? :)

By the way, some of the questions I am investigating include:
  1. Is there an annual and/or aggregate maximum ($)?
  2. Is there a medical screening pre-enrollment?
  3. Is pricing fixed or flexible each month/year?
  4. What leads to a change in costs? (Other people’s illnesses? Our own use to cover care after an illness? Inflation? Gov’t regulations? Not enough plan participants? Etc?)
  5. What happens if a major expense occurs (Car accident, ICU stay, Cancer treatment)?
  6. What care/treatment is covered and what is not?
  7. What is our deductible?
  8. Are pharmaceuticals covered as well as services?
  9. Are vaccines required to be eligible?
  10. How much control does the government have over this policy?
  11. Is the premium tax-deductible for small business owners or sole proprietors not insuring our employees?

Thanks in advance!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ozankey

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Dec 28, 2021
So, I am investigating changing from our current health insurance plan that costs over $18k a year for my wife and I, with a $10k deductible.

I have heard great things about "pools" like "Christian Healthcare Ministries" but I am not a Christian and I won't lie on an application and say that I don't drink. Does anyone have direct first-hand experience with health insurance or pools that might help me not re-invent the wheel and cut down on my many hours of upcoming research? :)

By the way, some of the questions I am investigating include:
  1. Is there an annual and/or aggregate maximum ($)?
  2. Is there a medical screening pre-enrollment?
  3. Is pricing fixed or flexible each month/year?
  4. What leads to a change in costs? (Other people’s illnesses? Our own use to cover care after an illness? Inflation? Gov’t regulations? Not enough plan participants? Etc?)
  5. What happens if a major expense occurs (Car accident, ICU stay, Cancer treatment)?
  6. What care/treatment is covered and what is not?
  7. What is our deductible?
  8. Are pharmaceuticals covered as well as services?
  9. Are vaccines required to be eligible?
  10. How much control does the government have over this policy?
  11. Is the premium tax-deductible for small business owners or sole proprietors not insuring our employees?

Thanks in advance!
I will follow the thread. Need more information about insurance issues.

AmazingLarry

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Jul 4, 2019
I haven't used one personally, but I looked into it seriously a couple years ago. My wife was leaving her job that provided insurance, so I was making the choice between health pool insurance and our state marketplace insurance. The marketplace sucks (expensive HDHP), but I ended up going with it because of a couple specific caveats with the health pool insurance.

First, the terms of the pool insurance plans I was looking at had a stipulation about engaging in risky activities. I don't remember the exact terms, but it seemed intentionally vague. I do downhill mountain biking, which can be dangerous and is the most likely way that I would get a serious injury, so it seemed risky to rely on them to cover an injury from mountain biking.

The other issue was related to pre-existing conditions, which from what I remember were not covered under the plans I was looking at. We didn't have anything at the time I was worried about, but my wife and I both had an issue in the past that could potentially come back. Between these two issues I decided it wasn't for us.

Like I said, this was a couple years ago so there may be more options now. Also, one of my family members has been using a Christian health insurance pool for years and has had a good experience. I think a lot of it comes down to your individual circumstances and needs.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.