The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Road to Early Retirement

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

Taz

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
Sep 15, 2019
What's' goodie peeps. So recently, I've decided to start a web services company with a friend of mine. I've always done web design before in the past but normally for myself, friends or family. Well, my partner is currently working for a web design agency and upon hearing what they charge clients and what little work they actually do, I researched the market in my area and his for web design and services. It's pretty big as most of the business websites were probably designed by third graders.

For simplistic purposes, let's call my partner Gee , and the company that hes working for, Company X. My plan is to offer every Company X is an offer, but do it better as well as add to the services. For example, they don't use SSL certificates and some of their clients run eCommerce sites, a recipe for disaster. Company X is pretty successful in their area which isn't that far from me but far enough that they wouldn't be a direct competitor. They charge a minimum of $5k per website and their turnaround time was around two weeks or so. Once Gee, joined them he was able to cut that time down to four days. He noticed a lot of areas where they could improve upon and a lot of opportunities that they are missing out on but he doesn't have the resources or background knowledge to capitalize on it. That's where I come in. Since we both are pretty good when it comes to stuff like that, I feel like we will make a pretty good team and it's an added benefit that we are old friends.

This is my game plan. I've already compiled a list of business websites and separated them into categories based on catastrophically terrible the website is, with the highest category being websites that are already pretty good, but I could still make better. I'm thinking of analyzing the websites individually and then emailing each owner about their websites. The goal would be to set up a face-to-face meeting, video chat, or phone call so we can discuss their website. I feel like it'll be easier to sell web services if I am in person and showing them slides on how I can improve their website with the final goal of increasing conversions, leads, traffic, etc.

What do you think? I've never done cold calling or emailing so I'm kinda lost here. I want to know the best way to captivate their interest and how to sell web services to people who might be biased about rebuilding their website that they might think is good enough. But other than that, I'll try to document my road and hopefully, I can get the ball rolling with a few clients this upcoming month.

EDIT: I know web design isn't necessarily a Fastlane business model, but the goal is the be very profitable in the beginning and then eventually create a team and automate the business where I don't have to be present.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ethan S

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Sep 27, 2019
What sales process is Company X doing? I would start w/ that if I could. Seems to work.

Next I would say if you're just going local stop in at all these businesses and bring them coffee maybe some donuts and etc.. Ask them if they have 5 minutes to talk about their website while they eat these donuts. Something like that.

Especially when starting out you may as well just do walk ins because that's the highest conversion rate.

Then I would work out a kickass referral system.

Hopefully get a reputation to where businesses come to me eventually.

PS. I wonder if people didn't answer because you gave us a wall of text and no direct questions. Not sure! I'm still new here but I only answered because this is a similar business to mine.

Taz

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
Sep 15, 2019
What sales process is Company X doing? I would start w/ that if I could. Seems to work.

Next I would say if you're just going local stop in at all these businesses and bring them coffee maybe some donuts and etc.. Ask them if they have 5 minutes to talk about their website while they eat these donuts. Something like that.

Especially when starting out you may as well just do walk ins because that's the highest conversion rate.

Then I would work out a kickass referral system.

Hopefully get a reputation to where businesses come to me eventually.

PS. I wonder if people didn't answer because you gave us a wall of text and no direct questions. Not sure! I'm still new here but I only answered because this is a similar business to mine.
What do you mean by the sales process? If it's what I think you mean, they set up meetings with clients to sell their services and they charge them half upfront and rest when the work is finished.

I'm planning on doing exactly just that. But I want to know how I can really connect with them. I feel like people try to sell the business a bunch of stuff and I want to like figure out how to differentiate myself from them.

The referral system is the pinnacle and very high on my list.

How do you run your business?

Ethan S

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Sep 27, 2019
Well.. They must have a pretty good offer to get a busy business owner to sit down with them.

Does your friend have that offer? Do they rely only on referrals? Are they the only game in town?

Basically HOW are they getting those customers to sit down with.. Seems silly to reinvent the wheel if what they are doing is already working and you can copy it.

--
Mine probably isn't relevant.. But maybe it is! I'll break it down.

First I found a local government grant that allowed my township to pay me to help business owners with digital media as it relates to their businesses.

Second I got them to completely and totally endorse my skills via video, written word, giving me town T-Shirt and co sponsoring events with me.

Third we sent out a questionnaire asking what, how and why businesses would want help with digital media.

Finally I have been having daily meetings with those 1-3 different business owners for 2 hours giving value and solving their problems.

Then to monetize I basically just ask if they would like help with this and give them my prices.

*This is not the process I used to build my business in the first place but it's what I'm doing now.
*The process might not be the same for you but the principles could be.

1. Get someone of already high standing and integrity to endorse you.
2. Ask what the businesses need help with.
3. Show them you know WTF you are talking about.
4. Ask if they need help and don't try to convince the ones that say no.. Move on!

I spent a long time trying to educate businesses on why they needed to hire me.. Didn't work.

Won't get that time back.. But who knows I'm not an expert in business maybe I just didn't communicate well.

Taz

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
Sep 15, 2019
Well.. They must have a pretty good offer to get a busy business owner to sit down with them.

Does your friend have that offer? Do they rely only on referrals? Are they the only game in town?

Basically HOW are they getting those customers to sit down with.. Seems silly to reinvent the wheel if what they are doing is already working and you can copy it.

--
Mine probably isn't relevant.. But maybe it is! I'll break it down.

First I found a local government grant that allowed my township to pay me to help business owners with digital media as it relates to their businesses.

Second I got them to completely and totally endorse my skills via video, written word, giving me town T-Shirt and co sponsoring events with me.

Third we sent out a questionnaire asking what, how and why businesses would want help with digital media.

Finally I have been having daily meetings with those 1-3 different business owners for 2 hours giving value and solving their problems.

Then to monetize I basically just ask if they would like help with this and give them my prices.

*This is not the process I used to build my business in the first place but it's what I'm doing now.
*The process might not be the same for you but the principles could be.

1. Get someone of already high standing and integrity to endorse you.
2. Ask what the businesses need help with.
3. Show them you know WTF you are talking about.
4. Ask if they need help and don't try to convince the ones that say no.. Move on!

I spent a long time trying to educate businesses on why they needed to hire me.. Didn't work.

Won't get that time back.. But who knows I'm not an expert in business maybe I just didn't communicate well.
Wow that was really informative and helpful, thank you for that. They rely on ads and referrals, but mainly ads. They aren't the only ones in the game but their area is pretty small and targeted so they can get the business there. They are having pretty good success where they are at.

I don't exactly know how they getting the customers to sit down with them but I would assume email and phone calls, I'll figure that part out and adjust accordingly.

Those four key points is something I will need to work on, especially the first one.

Ethan S

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Sep 27, 2019
Maybe don't think so much about the 'method' (ads and etc) they are using but more about their 'offer' ..

The offer is like 'the reason why' the business would want to sit down with them..

My opinion is that the method will change often but the offer (once you have a good one) will stay the same.

Questions to Help Craft a Kickass Offer:

What are the local businesses pain points and how can you solve them?
Why should they trust you over the other people?
Do you have a guarantee? If not can you create one they care about.
Go to your competitors 1 star reviews and mine those for pain points they have had with other providers and let them know how you will make sure those same things don't happen with you.

*This is what I would 'borrow' from the competitors if your friend has access to it.
*Keep in mind their offer might be good but you could always make one that is better.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.