The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Reselling paper!?

Idea threads

Ayush_

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Jan 18, 2022
Paper is one of the things that we use in our daily life knowingly or unknowingly and used papers most of the time reach your dustbin, I think we can dye used papers into white sheets of paper and resell them. Cost of dyeing is negligible as it can be done by water and acrylic paint or even with coffee. So, the selling price can be flexible. But if it's that easy someone should've been doing it already, either i didn't notice it being done and even if it is done is it profitable to do it still?
Thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Paper is one of the things that we use in our daily life knowingly or unknowingly and used papers most of the time reach your dustbin, I think we can dye used papers into white sheets of paper and resell them. Cost of dyeing is negligible as it can be done by water and acrylic paint or even with coffee. So, the selling price can be flexible. But if it's that easy someone should've been doing it already, either i didn't notice it being done and even if it is done is it profitable to do it still?
Thanks!
I shred used paper and put it in my compost pile to use for soil for my plants and berry patch. I'm not sure about using it again. But, it is getting pretty expensive. I used to pay $10 a ream of colored paper for my copy machine. I picked up 4 reams the other day and they were $25 each.

Last edited:

Jobless

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jun 8, 2017
EU
It's called paper recycling, and instead of adding more "dye", you remove ink through "deinking".

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Recycling is a massive opportunity and you should look into it. It's more of a heavy-industrial or manufacturing thing.

We've been doing some projects for some new recycling plants/factories with new technology and processes.

Ayush_

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Jan 18, 2022
Recycling is a massive opportunity and you should look into it. It's more of a heavy-industrial or manufacturing thing.

We've been doing some projects for some new recycling plants/factories with new technology and processes.
@Eudaimonium @WJK @thechosen1 I did some calculations on how much money can I make from recycling paper and i think the profit is too low due to the extremely low price of paper.

If i recycle 200 papers per day and cost for 100 pages is around 0.7 dollars here so monthly reaches about 40 dollars. Which is very low. Any thoughts or ways to improve this?

G

Guest-5ty5s4

@Eudaimonium @WJK @thechosen1 I did some calculations on how much money can I make from recycling paper and i think the profit is too low due to the extremely low price of paper.

If i recycle 200 papers per day and cost for 100 pages is around 0.7 dollars here so monthly reaches about 40 dollars. Which is very low. Any thoughts or ways to improve this?
recycle more pages or decrease cost per page.

Or maybe there is some other commodity you could recycle or something you are familiar with? What jobs or industries have you worked with? Do you have friends with businesses or jobs in certain fields that might have a lot of garbage, junk, or waste they need to get rid of that might still be useful?

This is a solid theme in some of the gold threads - taking waste and turning it into energy or other products.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.

How are you recycling it? Are you transforming it into something new?
It's kind of like the idea with flip flops in the ocean and cigarette butts. I believe you have to be innovative and creative how you can use the paper for like things such as making some type of new insulation for houses, floors, furniture, clothes, toys, or whatever. Naturally, it's re-inventing the form of it now and making something new out of it that is affordable and that actually is a product that can be useful.

Paper straws for example instead of plastic straws.
Paper bottles instead of plastic bottles.
Paper products usually do get recycled in schools for art projects, or elderly communities for activities, or different in-home care or a.f.c. home activities.
Even at hospital or nursing home you re-invent the wheel with some things they go through a lot of. Since for example, you have tubes of medication, bottles of medication, and even if you have the plastic pills you pop out, it's probably sitting around somewhere.

The idea would be to take the paper and some how form it into a material that is earth friendly, and still be able to keep the products with quality and freshness.

We got so much junk in the oceans, the woods, and hidden places it's not even funny.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
How are you recycling it? Are you transforming it into something new?
It's kind of like the idea with flip flops in the ocean and cigarette butts. I believe you have to be innovative and creative how you can use the paper for like things such as making some type of new insulation for houses, floors, furniture, clothes, toys, or whatever. Naturally, it's re-inventing the form of it now and making something new out of it that is affordable and that actually is a product that can be useful.

Paper straws for example instead of plastic straws.
Paper bottles instead of plastic bottles.
Paper products usually do get recycled in schools for art projects, or elderly communities for activities, or different in-home care or a.f.c. home activities.
Even at hospital or nursing home you re-invent the wheel with some things they go through a lot of. Since for example, you have tubes of medication, bottles of medication, and even if you have the plastic pills you pop out, it's probably sitting around somewhere.

The idea would be to take the paper and some how form it into a material that is earth friendly, and still be able to keep the products with quality and freshness.

We got so much junk in the oceans, the woods, and hidden places it's not even funny.
I'm not so sure about your basic premise. The bulk of our landfill in my Borough is discarded paper. Most of it does NOT get recycled. Personally, I put mine in our compost pile and turn it into new soil.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

are you an engineer, or do you know a bit about thermo, chemicals, heat, energy, things like that? Do you have a large supply of unwanted paper or paper products that nobody wants or that you can get for cheap or next to nothing?

Fuel, heat, compost, etc. come to mind. like @WJK said.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I'm not so sure about your basic premise. The bulk of our landfill in my Borough is discarded paper. Most of it does NOT get recycled. Personally, I put mine in our compost pile and turn it into new soil.
I watched one of my friends do this 30 years ago. i'm not sure if it was the some way, but she won in an art contest making this paper and i think she recycled lint from the dryer as well and made paper.
View: https://youtu.be/5xrWrKIVBgo

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.

Ayush_

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Jan 18, 2022
This one i have to kind of chuckle, because it seems like I had one when i was a small girl, but Traditionalists and Boomers taught me how to re-invent anything into something new all my life.
View: https://youtu.be/PknUHIiJoRM
recycle more pages or decrease cost per page.

Or maybe there is some other commodity you could recycle or something you are familiar with? What jobs or industries have you worked with? Do you have friends with businesses or jobs in certain fields that might have a lot of garbage, junk, or waste they need to get rid of that might still be useful?

This is a solid theme in some of the gold threads - taking waste and turning it into energy or other products.
Some of the recycled papers products shown like furniture, pencil stand, bowl etc are already available in the market and made of more durable, cheap and better looking material. That's what I think when I think of recycle. Customers don't care if their purchased commodity is eco friendly or not until and unless it's cheap. That is not likely in recycle. Make things out of something that is not meant to make it. But that's just me. What do you think?

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Some of the recycled papers products shown like furniture, pencil stand, bowl etc are already available in the market and made of more durable, cheap and better looking material. That's what I think when I think of recycle. Customers don't care if their purchased commodity is eco friendly or not until and unless it's cheap. That is not likely in recycle. Make things out of something that is not meant to make it. But that's just me. What do you think?
i think it depends globally where you live. I grew up watching artists, musicians, and literary writers create all kinds of stuff in Michigan. These tend to be more small business owners of course and a tourist area. I think it depends on the quality of the item, what it looks like of course, and whether you have customers in a certain geographical location that may be into that kind of product.

Naturally some of these home made products are not up to par for mass distribution. And it's always looking at the store. As there used to be this store i would always go buy things and it was artsy, designer stuff, and might be something recycled or not, but distribution and pricing comes down to where your buying the product and mass quantities.

As most waste goes to shops and stores and sold way cheaper then you would find at top notch stores. I kind of have to chuckle, because you can find top dollar items for cheap as i have a long the way, and then you can pay top dollar for the same thing.

You have to know your materials, cost, supplies, and all that jazz, but it's difficult to come up with products all the time that earth friendly, clean up the earth, and not have the start up costs be more then value of the item. As I know I've been told some green stuff costs more money to run then it's actually making any profit off of it in the industry.

i know products in stores are usually scanned to know what people are buying in that geographical area. As three towns next door to one another can sell totally different items because the population in those areas may be different tastes by culture alone and still be the same chain of stores.

The Forum is more upscale, but then you have other markets that may be flea markets, craft shows, arts shows. I've gone to a lot of events that you have many distributors at the same time selling stuff at big arena's.

You can say what market and platform are you using offline or online. Since I know there are many. As I met a woman that made popcorn and had a special recipe and ended up on QVC and selling at a chain of stores.

And this is usually how it is done. You invent a product and it might not always be in a store right away, but then it might be seen in a certain place and then naturally if there is the trend starting, everyone wants one and than it expands to greater mass production and distributed.

I worked in a coffee factory once and had to package it, and of course those coffee's were private recipe's, and were local. Now a days you have greater expansion online.

When you are talking about recycling it's kind of inventing something new and it aims for the recycling crowd. Naturally if it is a product they feel is note worthy, it will get around.

Pretty much you know the product has to be quality and affordable and to make a profit off it. It's basically like the light bulb invention, it is figuring out what works and doesn't work. You never know until you try different things and see what comes out of it. And it might be trying a smaller market and seeing how they react to it and whether it's workable to expand to mass production and meets your expectations.

eramart

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Aug 31, 2015
Moscow, Russia
I would suggest looking for someone who is selling that kind of business. You can learn from them their margins, ins and outs of recycling operations and so on. My friend got into plastic recycling that way, it can save you loads of time.

Ayush_

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Jan 18, 2022
i think it depends globally where you live. I grew up watching artists, musicians, and literary writers create all kinds of stuff in Michigan. These tend to be more small business owners of course and a tourist area. I think it depends on the quality of the item, what it looks like of course, and whether you have customers in a certain geographical location that may be into that kind of product.

Naturally some of these home made products are not up to par for mass distribution. And it's always looking at the store. As there used to be this store i would always go buy things and it was artsy, designer stuff, and might be something recycled or not, but distribution and pricing comes down to where your buying the product and mass quantities.

As most waste goes to shops and stores and sold way cheaper then you would find at top notch stores. I kind of have to chuckle, because you can find top dollar items for cheap as i have a long the way, and then you can pay top dollar for the same thing.

You have to know your materials, cost, supplies, and all that jazz, but it's difficult to come up with products all the time that earth friendly, clean up the earth, and not have the start up costs be more then value of the item. As I know I've been told some green stuff costs more money to run then it's actually making any profit off of it in the industry.

i know products in stores are usually scanned to know what people are buying in that geographical area. As three towns next door to one another can sell totally different items because the population in those areas may be different tastes by culture alone and still be the same chain of stores.

The Forum is more upscale, but then you have other markets that may be flea markets, craft shows, arts shows. I've gone to a lot of events that you have many distributors at the same time selling stuff at big arena's.

You can say what market and platform are you using offline or online. Since I know there are many. As I met a woman that made popcorn and had a special recipe and ended up on QVC and selling at a chain of stores.

And this is usually how it is done. You invent a product and it might not always be in a store right away, but then it might be seen in a certain place and then naturally if there is the trend starting, everyone wants one and than it expands to greater mass production and distributed.

I worked in a coffee factory once and had to package it, and of course those coffee's were private recipe's, and were local. Now a days you have greater expansion online.

When you are talking about recycling it's kind of inventing something new and it aims for the recycling crowd. Naturally if it is a product they feel is note worthy, it will get around.

Pretty much you know the product has to be quality and affordable and to make a profit off it. It's basically like the light bulb invention, it is figuring out what works and doesn't work. You never know until you try different things and see what comes out of it. And it might be trying a smaller market and seeing how they react to it and whether it's workable to expand to mass production and meets your expectations.
@Mattie @thechosen1 @WJK @eramart
I looked up some things paper can be made into and i was interested to see how bricks and tiles can be made with paper and with the same durability and sturdiness just low price. This can significantly reduce brick and tile price and also if it were to be porous then what can be better, it can overcome the tiring job to wipe bathroom tiles after bath and kitchen tiles too. I should keep looking maybe I'll find even better ideas.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
@Mattie @thechosen1 @WJK @eramart
I looked up some things paper can be made into and i was interested to see how bricks and tiles can be made with paper and with the same durability and sturdiness just low price. This can significantly reduce brick and tile price and also if it were to be porous then what can be better, it can overcome the tiring job to wipe bathroom tiles after bath and kitchen tiles too. I should keep looking maybe I'll find even better ideas.
But, why would you want them to be "porous"? The reason for putting the tile on the bathroom wall and in the shower pan is to protect those areas from water. Water rots everything from the inside out. It's called "dry rot". Here in Alaska, rot is accelerated due to our wet climate and the cold. Wood and everything else rots in a couple of years. It would take years to have the same effect in the Lower 48. The constant freeze/thaw cycle breaks things down VERY quickly. The ice crystals and water expansion during freezing together tear down the fibers and structural integrity of everything. In warmer climates, the water teams up different mold/mildew strains, and those organisms literally eat the materials. You may want to rethink your plan...

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
These are kind of cool for places by Camp grounds. As they sell wood for fires, but never even thought about myself with the news papers. Since when your building a fire your usually looking for leaves, sticks, and pine to start a big bonfire. And cool they are making bricks. Always was a pain trying to start a fire in the back yard just by crumbling up paper. I wonder how it burns. The ideas a limitless if you keep doing the research and finding out how to be creative, innovative. I was just watching on the regular television people sitting in a land fill in some country that they were looking for certain items to create products to sell. Wash, clean, and do whatever process to clean up the earth.

Although, I'm not sure it's that fun being in a landfill. We're such messy people on the planet. I remember in environmental class we were discussing how this all kind of ruins the wild life and habitats when we just go in and cut down trees, build, and everything. Glad it's inspiring you to do some research and find some awesome stuff for the future.

View: https://youtu.be/i-_MQgYK6c0

View: https://youtu.be/oydiIILC6Bo

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
These are kind of cool for places by Camp grounds. As they sell wood for fires, but never even thought about myself with the news papers. Since when your building a fire your usually looking for leaves, sticks, and pine to start a big bonfire. And cool they are making bricks. Always was a pain trying to start a fire in the back yard just by crumbling up paper. I wonder how it burns. The ideas a limitless if you keep doing the research and finding out how to be creative, innovative. I was just watching on the regular television people sitting in a land fill in some country that they were looking for certain items to create products to sell. Wash, clean, and do whatever process to clean up the earth.

Although, I'm not sure it's that fun being in a landfill. We're such messy people on the planet. I remember in environmental class we were discussing how this all kind of ruins the wild life and habitats when we just go in and cut down trees, build, and everything. Glad it's inspiring you to do some research and find some awesome stuff for the future.

View: https://youtu.be/i-_MQgYK6c0

View: https://youtu.be/oydiIILC6Bo
Can you make pellets for a pellets stove?

Knuffix

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Jul 25, 2014
Can you make pellets for a pellets stove?

You can also press sawdust to make briquettes for heating.

saegemehl-pressen.jpg

We used this all the time for heating in the old house, very long lasting and affordable.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.