The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Ready to dive in and glad to be here

C-Jay

Audeamus
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Aug 7, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Hi fastlane folks,
I'm C-Jay. I'm a 25 year old Canadian dude in Ottawa, Ontario.
I live comfortably earning a respectable slowlane wage as a federal public servant. While amongst many of my friends, 90k a year is "rolling in it", I suffer from perpetual boredom in my day job despite working 50 hours a week and being on the "fast track" for promotion, etc.
I crave a new challenge, most notably one that will grant me the ultimate privilege: freedom over my time. For months I have been exploring avenues of earning. I learned all about the stock market and got into it, thinking it was the solution. I bought cryptocurrencies and am doing quite well. I am dabbling in peer to peer lending. While all good things, they tend to be mostly slowlane at the level I'm currently operating.
Most recently, I've poured my research time into e-commerce and coding for purposes of app development. I've solicited a good friend of mine to teach me his trade (web design) in exchange for my knowledge on investing/finance. At this point, I have not decided on a particular "monogamous" approach I want to take, but I'm exploring new options almost daily.
I read TMF over this past weekend and was riveted. I have read 30+ books on finance, business, investing, etc, but have never felt my eyes open quite like they did over the weekend. For me, I'm finally accepting that the fastlane journey has my name on it. I have no illusions about the future reactions of my friends and family (luckily, I'm single with no kids as of yet). They'll think I'm choosing to be a lazy drifter and that I will be giving up the comfortable slowlane income I've worked so hard for, in exchange for the trials of the unknown. I'm okay with this. I have a good track record when it comes to taking on new challenges but I expect this to be the biggest of all. I understand the raw commitment to work I have in front of me. There will be no paid vacations. No dental plan. I'm ready to accept that.
I hope this forum can serve as an opportunity for me to pick the brains of successful entrepreneurs. First and foremost, I need to identify my path. How exactly will I fulfill a need? I look forward to the day in the very near future that I identify that and tend my resignation from the slowlane. I am most excited about the journey and hope to become a valuable contributor here on the forum.
Thanks for having me, @MJ DeMarco and all community members,
CJ

PS. Unscripted is in the mail! Looking forward to it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
You are in a unique spot. Don't quit your job until you are in the correct position. Save your money and start your business with assets!

Everything is soooo much easier when you have capital behind you. It basically allows you to get past many of the barriers to entry.

Iammelissamoore

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Sep 23, 2014
Trinidad and Tobago
First and foremost, I need to identify my path. How exactly will I fulfill a need?
Welcome to the forum C-Jay, luckily for you, we live in a world filled more with complaints/complainers than problem-solvers, just from checking out a good few posts on the forum, you'll come across those who built successful products/services from exploring the market and recognising what people were complaining about and then they added value by improving that particular thing.

Sometimes we feel as if we need to reinvent the wheel and be first at creating something new, and while indeed, this applies in different aspects, depending on what solution you're bringing to the market, it isn't always necessary.

As we continuously learn, we transition from complaining to solving when we switch from consumer-thinking to producer-thinking, it helps us overstand things differently. This is where most times we go from just having ideas, to seeing solutions floating around us.

So, as you pour more thought into what type of need(s) you're looking to fulfil, spend some time listening to what people want through their complaints. Your job is one of the best places to start and then you can expand from there.

C-Jay

Audeamus
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Aug 7, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Thanks for the responses folks. I won't rush into anything too fast, but I don't plan to waste much time either. I'd love to get started in e-commerce and have been doing product research. I know that once I see even a little money come in generating by means other than my job/standard investments, I'll be hooked.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...