The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Providing the RIGHT value

D

Deleted74396

Too often I think selfishly and share something valuable to me, but my audience don't like it.

Sometimes it feels like my audience are more interested in less valuable content.

Having a producer mindset whilst simultaneously thinking 'like the audience' to create content they love is so difficult.

Does anybody have any tips? It makes me feel emotional as I already impact millions each month, and want to do better.

My inability to properly and confidently produce and improve their experience makes me feel uncertain about moving forwards and is why despite impacting millions I'm not making millions (or anything).

Thanks everyone, and I hope you had a lovely Christmas and New Year!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Einfamilienhaus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Feb 8, 2019
Sometimes it feels like my audience are more interested in less valuable content.

If you know what your audience want why don't you feed them with more content of it?

I think every producer has just an idea of his content but the audience decides what they want to consume. Burbn was created as a gallery app for especially photographers. Through the audience tracking the company found out that the audience used the share options the most. Later Burbn became Instagram. A picture app with the huge focus of shareable content.

Chiswickflaner

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Jan 1, 2020
London, UK
Tips:
Firstly - well done for impacting millions, the money will surely follow!
Secondly - as suggested in the Fastlane book - most people reside in the sidewalk mindset, living for today, and one or two monthly salaries from being broke. Entertainment and instant gratification are their primary ways they like to spend their time, they aren't actively targeting wealth creation but hoping to win the lottery or similar.
Almost all the rest are in the slow lane, building their wealth slowly. So they have their jobs and save 10% or whatever every month.
Fast laners may pay for content/services if they see the value.
What market are you after? Sidewalkers/Slow laners or fast laners?
We all know eating fruit and veggies and exercising 5 times a week is good for you, how many are disciplined enough to do it?
Thirdly - who businesses would like to speak to your audience? Have you got advertising as a revenue stream and if not, why?

If you have content that is interesting millions, perhaps a small proportion would pay more for direct access/more of what you offer. Can you teach or train other people to provide that content?

Have you got a small group of friends/customers who you can share content with early and get their feedback? Use your beta group to get detailed feedback. Consider A/B testing. (What is A/B Testing in Digital Marketing, How it Works, Tools (Guide))

When I write articles on LinkedIn, I may get just a few likes, between6 and 15 normally, that's with almost 2,000 contacts on LinkedIn.

A reasonably well-known entrepreneur in my space creates high quality content and has just 40 or 50 likes or engagements so I think it's about plugging away almost one person at a time. Turning 6 likes to 10 likes, 10 to 15 etc.

The same with payment.

I like this post that I read recently which might help:
*UNSCRIPTED* - The Productocracy: How To Print Money (Legally!)

Think of the snowball being pushed down to the hill to create an avalanche - you could get everything coming to you all of a sudden.

Hope this helps.

Ismail941

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
May 7, 2019
Everything is hard until you get a traction with a good system.

For more inspiration, read the Whatsapp Previous Owner - Jan Koum

I can almost guarantee you - you will be inspired by it if you look at the angle from long term

D

Deleted74396

Entertainment and instant gratification are their primary ways they like to spend their time, they aren't actively targeting wealth creation but hoping to win the lottery or similar.
Almost all the rest are in the slow lane, building their wealth slowly. So they have their jobs and save 10% or whatever every month.
Fast laners may pay for content/services if they see the value.
What market are you after? Sidewalkers/Slow laners or fast laners?
We all know eating fruit and veggies and exercising 5 times a week is good for you, how many are disciplined enough to do it?
Thirdly - who businesses would like to speak to your audience? Have you got advertising as a revenue stream and if not, why?

If you have content that is interesting millions, perhaps a small proportion would pay more for direct access/more of what you offer. Can you teach or train other people to provide that content?

Have you got a small group of friends/customers who you can share content with early and get their feedback? Use your beta group to get detailed feedback. Consider A/B testing. (What is A/B Testing in Digital Marketing, How it Works, Tools (Guide))

When I write articles on LinkedIn, I may get just a few likes, between6 and 15 normally, that's with almost 2,000 contacts on LinkedIn.

A reasonably well-known entrepreneur in my space creates high quality content and has just 40 or 50 likes or engagements so I think it's about plugging away almost one person at a time. Turning 6 likes to 10 likes, 10 to 15 etc.

The same with payment.

I like this post that I read recently which might help:
*UNSCRIPTED* - The Productocracy: How To Print Money (Legally!)

Think of the snowball being pushed down to the hill to create an avalanche - you could get everything coming to you all of a sudden.

This definitely helps.

As I'm publishing on Facebook, entertainment and instant gratification is key to my audience. My audience is largely sidewalkers/slow-laners. 18-35 years old. Definitely looking for instant gratification!

I think as a disciplined person it's easy for me to accidentally lean too far towards sharing things that would appeal to someone motivated or a "go-getter" when in reality a lot of my audience just like to chill and scroll.

My 'base' content is not unique, or valuable per se, although I have plans to build a team to get back into publishing (that's how my last business ran) and create more unique content. I need money to get started, and although I thought of enlisting a dozen volunteers to grow the business, I would rather stick to what I know and create a small full time team who are focused on providing quality. It's how I built my last business, and I know exactly what to do to make a million dollar business.

Although in an ideal world the other way round works best, 2019 was a disaster for me and it's not possible, so my goal is to focus more on the brand side and create a few products that allow me to invest in the growth. I am bootstrapping and have literally no money so all we have for starters is tshirts. At least as soon as we start publishing we will have branded products to soft sell too.

Luckily, I do have a couple of small groups of audience sectors I can test ideas with. I am able to target top fans, this includes around 2000 members who engage with our content the most. They loved the unique design I let them in on the other day, although they thought by raise money for mental health charities that 100% of the profit goes to charity, not like.. 10%

I also have a group for the community with 11,000 members who I can test products and content on

I'll check out the A-B testing stuff and reread through the productocracy thread, I appreciate the recommendation. I actually have a couple of really exciting product ideas I'm looking forward to launching in the future, things that I know will do well with my audience, plus a general Facebook audience, and be very easy to market. Right now though I just need to get people to buy into the brand with cool unique t-shirts to get the journey started.

I had success before my last publishing business, so already had capital. I'm seeing how much harder it is when you don't have that financial backing to start with. I know it'll be so much more rewarding when I can properly invest more than just time into the growth!

That last paragraph makes me feel emotional haha, despite having a terrible year last year I just kept pushing and producing content and at least growing the audience even if I didn't have the mindset, motivation, or mental health to do much more than that.

I know how powerful a large audience can be, and never gave up on that, and that's how I reached success in the past. I know I'll get there again in 2020

D

Deleted74396

Everything is hard until you get a traction with a good system.

For more inspiration, read the Whatsapp Previous Owner - Jan Koum

I can almost guarantee you - you will be inspired by it if you look at the angle from long term

It's the long term from here on out (well, December on out, thanks FLF!). I spent too long last year thinking of paying the following months bills, rather than thinking beyond that, and I got nowhere. Duh!

Thanks for the recommendation, I'm definitely going to take a look at that. I'll read some articles on him tomorrow. I'm sure I can figure out my system :)

Chiswickflaner

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Jan 1, 2020
London, UK
This definitely helps.

As I'm publishing on Facebook, entertainment and instant gratification is key to my audience. My audience is largely sidewalkers/slow-laners. 18-35 years old. Definitely looking for instant gratification!

I think as a disciplined person it's easy for me to accidentally lean too far towards sharing things that would appeal to someone motivated or a "go-getter" when in reality a lot of my audience just like to chill and scroll.

My 'base' content is not unique, or valuable per se, although I have plans to build a team to get back into publishing (that's how my last business ran) and create more unique content. I need money to get started, and although I thought of enlisting a dozen volunteers to grow the business, I would rather stick to what I know and create a small full time team who are focused on providing quality. It's how I built my last business, and I know exactly what to do to make a million dollar business.

Although in an ideal world the other way round works best, 2019 was a disaster for me and it's not possible, so my goal is to focus more on the brand side and create a few products that allow me to invest in the growth. I am bootstrapping and have literally no money so all we have for starters is tshirts. At least as soon as we start publishing we will have branded products to soft sell too.

Luckily, I do have a couple of small groups of audience sectors I can test ideas with. I am able to target top fans, this includes around 2000 members who engage with our content the most. They loved the unique design I let them in on the other day, although they thought by raise money for mental health charities that 100% of the profit goes to charity, not like.. 10%

I also have a group for the community with 11,000 members who I can test products and content on

I'll check out the A-B testing stuff and reread through the productocracy thread, I appreciate the recommendation. I actually have a couple of really exciting product ideas I'm looking forward to launching in the future, things that I know will do well with my audience, plus a general Facebook audience, and be very easy to market. Right now though I just need to get people to buy into the brand with cool unique t-shirts to get the journey started.

I had success before my last publishing business, so already had capital. I'm seeing how much harder it is when you don't have that financial backing to start with. I know it'll be so much more rewarding when I can properly invest more than just time into the growth!

That last paragraph makes me feel emotional haha, despite having a terrible year last year I just kept pushing and producing content and at least growing the audience even if I didn't have the mindset, motivation, or mental health to do much more than that.

I know how powerful a large audience can be, and never gave up on that, and that's how I reached success in the past. I know I'll get there again in 2020

By the sounds of it, you have made a great start and are on a good path. I look forward to seeing how you get on, so perhaps an update now and then would be something you are willing to do and a few of us forum members would appreciate. You may be too busy in a few months and hanging out with Richie B at Necker Island to update us though!

Well done you on your progress so far. Exciting times and hope you have a good year.

If you are after investment, there is a small chance I might be able to help with a contact or two.
Providing this doesn't violate any forum rules, if you are able to share a link to your business, I can look into contacting you.

By the way, have you read the Millionaire Fastlane book as you may not have updated your profile with that. If you haven't would highly recommend a read.

Abrodos

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Sep 25, 2019
Barcelona, Spain
In social media marketing (I'm just studying a course about digital marketing and e-commerce right now) there's 2 classifications of communities: vertical channels (they center around a theme and you can easily position as an authority figure) and social channels (no common theme, no common traits in the audience, entertaintment purpose, etc). As you seem to host the second one, why not get revenue from generic ads of stuff the majority of your community consumes?

Also, it looks like your biggest talent, the stuff very few can do, is creating large social media communities. Could you offer your services to help fellow entrepreneurs create them? Could you charge for it? Could you write a book or create a video course about that?
I'd definitely be interested, and many people would I assume.

D

Deleted74396

As you seem to host the second one, why not get revenue from generic ads of stuff the majority of your community consumes?

Also, it looks like your biggest talent, the stuff very few can do, is creating large social media communities. Could you offer your services to help fellow entrepreneurs create them? Could you charge for it? Could you write a book or create a video course about that?
I'd definitely be interested, and many people would I assume.

I appreciate your words of advice!

That's definitely something I want to do in the future. I need more of a proven record first, I have no data to offer sponsors/partners/advertisers and don't want to undervalue the service. Especially as the audience hate external ads, it's not something I want to taint my business with now when I haven't even got the other more organic and lucrative aspects going.

I lost my last business as I was naive and stupid, it got stolen. Rather, my naivety let it get stolen. I would not be comfortable going into the business of teaching with the story of 'I grew a business to 1 million likes and 6 figure earnings within one year' when the answer to 'what happened?' is 'I f*cked up and lost it all' y'know? Of course, I could lie or answer like a politician but that's just not me and I still get emotional thinking of the loss.

It's something I would only ever do if I had another success, as I'm big on authenticity and although I'm proud of my previous experience, it is a bigger failure than it is a success. I could definitely write a book, create a video course, or teach other entrepenerus.

I will likely either make my current biz a huge success and keep growing it, or if it's just a success I can at least get into teaching knowing I have the knowledge and methodology that if followed can and has created multiple successful businesses.

Abrodos

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Sep 25, 2019
Barcelona, Spain
I appreciate your words of advice!

That's definitely something I want to do in the future. I need more of a proven record first, I have no data to offer sponsors/partners/advertisers and don't want to undervalue the service. Especially as the audience hate external ads, it's not something I want to taint my business with now when I haven't even got the other more organic and lucrative aspects going.

I lost my last business as I was naive and stupid, it got stolen. Rather, my naivety let it get stolen. I would not be comfortable going into the business of teaching with the story of 'I grew a business to 1 million likes and 6 figure earnings within one year' when the answer to 'what happened?' is 'I f*cked up and lost it all' y'know? Of course, I could lie or answer like a politician but that's just not me and I still get emotional thinking of the loss.

It's something I would only ever do if I had another success, as I'm big on authenticity and although I'm proud of my previous experience, it is a bigger failure than it is a success. I could definitely write a book, create a video course, or teach other entrepenerus.

I will likely either make my current biz a huge success and keep growing it, or if it's just a success I can at least get into teaching knowing I have the knowledge and methodology that if followed can and has created multiple successful businesses.

Thinking about your community and their reticence to advertising, a couple examples (possible ways of monetizing) have come to my mind:
There's an instagram page in my country called Unidestroyer, that makes fun of rivalry between different universities, memes about exams, fun stuff generally directed towards college students.
They have been running promotions, slowly, starting just on instagram stories to avoid "staining" the page with commercial content.
Two campaigns were very successful I can remember:
In one of them a brand was raffling plain money, I don't remember if it was 300€ or 3000, or something in between. Not with discounts or products, but actual money. It was an advertising strategy of a new app or brand, I don't remember which one. But the boldness made it very effective. And they were providing actual value to the page followers, even if they didn't care about the product, everyone cares about the chance of getting 300€ for free.

And then they've just launched an app. Not sure about how profitable it is, but I believe it's a paid one, and they're quite high on downloads. that basically just displays sentences to play the drinking game (Never have I ever...) with friends. A really simple app that relies on the funny content in it. So sometimes the dumber and less elaborate stuff is what appeals to people. Like cards against humanity, no art, no fanciness, just a very strong idea and a bold way of presenting it.

Hope those ideas help!!! :)

D

Deleted74396

Thinking about your community and their reticence to advertising, a couple examples (possible ways of monetizing) have come to my mind:
There's an instagram page in my country called Unidestroyer, that makes fun of rivalry between different universities, memes about exams, fun stuff generally directed towards college students.
They have been running promotions, slowly, starting just on instagram stories to avoid "staining" the page with commercial content.
Two campaigns were very successful I can remember:
In one of them a brand was raffling plain money, I don't remember if it was 300€ or 3000, or something in between. Not with discounts or products, but actual money. It was an advertising strategy of a new app or brand, I don't remember which one. But the boldness made it very effective. And they were providing actual value to the page followers, even if they didn't care about the product, everyone cares about the chance of getting 300€ for free.

And then they've just launched an app. Not sure about how profitable it is, but I believe it's a paid one, and they're quite high on downloads. that basically just displays sentences to play the drinking game (Never have I ever...) with friends. A really simple app that relies on the funny content in it. So sometimes the dumber and less elaborate stuff is what appeals to people. Like cards against humanity, no art, no fanciness, just a very strong idea and a bold way of presenting it.

Hope those ideas help!!! :)

Those ideas really help! That's an awesome example. I actually have a ton of product ideas, including apps. I really don't doubt in a few years I'll be successful and have the power to invest into these things. Until then, my plan of branded tees HAS to work to at least start building capital as I'm out of cash completely. Tailoring the content better to the audience alongside launching the brand should at least set me off on the right foot!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.