The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

Power of now by eckhart tolle

Brian Suh

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
May 19, 2018
Some people absolutely love it and some hate it. I remember first reading it in college and LOVED it. But then again life was pretty awesome then. When my life went to shit due to bad behaviors I re read the book and just sat on my a$$ meditating. Now that I took massive action to fix my situation and go towards my goals I feel great again. I feel like a “somebody”. It feels good. Before I felt pathetic and weak. That’s because I was. But the power of now states that you should feel happy just being you....hmm....

Am I just reading this wrong? The irony is that I feel more alive than ever. But that’s because I’m taking risks and actions NOT by being still. What are your thoughts? Is eckhart really just a salesman behind all that meek image haha

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Black_Dragon43

Bronze Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Speedway Pass
Apr 28, 2017
Eastern Europe
I found Eckhart's work helpful, especially in the way he views time.

For him, the only time that exists is NOW.

Typically, we are taught to view time as a continuum that goes from past, through the present and onto the future.

We view time spatially, as if time was a river that flows from point A to point B.

Eckhart's point is that this view of time is wrong. Time is not a river, rather time is the eternal moment.

This eternal moment CONTAINS within itself what we call the past, and what we call the future. Everything already is here and now.

Thus, what we call "the past" represents the signposts we ought to use to better orient ourselves in the present. If instead we fall in the trap of staying still staring at those sign posts as if we could change them, we miss the opportunity of learning from the past. By hanging onto the past, we destroy the present and the future.

Likewise, by projecting the past onto the future we create a false image that, paradoxically, ends up controlling our present and future.

Freedom is found in the NOW, in the realisation that we have POWER in how we use the elements that exist in the NOW that we call "past", and how we orient ourselves towards the elements that exist in the present that we call "future".

A good read on this topic: The Ending Of Time by J. Krishnamurti

Last edited:

asa781

New Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Dec 3, 2019
I'll give it a shot.

Last edited:

JohnnyBme

New Contributor
Feb 18, 2019
For me the only thing good about it was the temporary motivation "feel good" boost after reading it.
But I haven't actually learned much, felt pretty pseudo-science like and rambly

OP
OP
Brian Suh

Brian Suh

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
May 19, 2018
For me the only thing good about it was the temporary motivation "feel good" boost after reading it.
But I haven't actually learned much, felt pretty pseudo-science like and rambly
Read it again and it’s bullshit. Especially for young men. This world is extremely competitive and cut throat. It is NOT a kind place. You need to build fangs and claws in terms of your personality and even your soul to survive. This is the god damn truth. Anything else and people are trying to sell you something or they themselves have fallen into the belief of a happy ending in this world as they couldn’t handle the truth themselves. The truth will set you free, NOT make you feel good

Black_Dragon43

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Apr 28, 2017
Eastern Europe
Read it again and it’s bullshit. Especially for young men. This world is extremely competitive and cut throat. It is NOT a kind place. You need to build fangs and claws in terms of your personality and even your soul to survive. This is the god damn truth. Anything else and people are trying to sell you something or they themselves have fallen into the belief of a happy ending in this world as they couldn’t handle the truth themselves. The truth will set you free, NOT make you feel good
And who is going to have sharper fangs and claws, the one who lives a fear-led life, or the person who has mastered his inner life? Uncontrolled aggression is not strength. Tolle is talking about mastering the inner life. This doesn't mean that you go sit in a cave. But it does mean that you're not ruled by your emotions and can achieve peak performance in whatever you do.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAVPDYhW_nw&feature=emb_title

Last edited:

loop101

Silver Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Mar 3, 2013
"Any action is often better than no action, especially if you have been stuck in an unhappy situation for a long time. If it is a mistake, at least you learn something, in which case it's no longer a mistake. If you remain stuck, you learn nothing."

- Eckhart Tolle

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Sponsored Offers

Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
-- HALLOWEEN SPECIAL STARTS TODAY! Get any of my courses at Udemy's current best price through Friday! Use code: HALLOWEEN Use any of the links...
Top Bottom