The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Poor People Who Became Wealthy??

NewManRising

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 30, 2017
Los Angeles
Hi guys,

I'd like to get the names of some well-known people who started out poor/middle class but have become wealthy. I'm taking Fox's course from his Web School and in one section he says it is a good idea to think of a person who became successful and preferably started out in a similar place as you. This way you can draw some motivation from them.

Prior to this, I liked to read bios of wealthy/famous people and I liked to read about their backgrounds. Things like where they were born, their education, their family and family dynamics, people they met, jobs they held, their processes leading up to their success, and so on. I think this stuff is interesting and it gives you insight into the ways people find success, especially if they didn't come from a wealthy background.

Who are some well-known people that fit this criterion?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
Hi guys,

I'd like to get the names of some well-known people who started out poor/middle class but have become wealthy. I'm taking Fox's course from his Web School and in one section he says it is a good idea to think of a person who became successful and preferably started out in a similar place as you. This way you can draw some motivation from them.

Prior to this, I liked to read bios of wealthy/famous people and I liked to read about their backgrounds. Things like where they were born, their education, their family and family dynamics, people they met, jobs they held, their processes leading up to their success, and so on. I think this stuff is interesting and it gives you insight into the ways people find success, especially if they didn't come from a wealthy background.

Andy Frisella, Manny Khosbin, Patrick-Bet David from Valuetainment, Sylvester Stallone, Brad Pitt, Harrison Ford, Ritesh Agarwal, Grant Cardone, Mohed Altrad, Ferrucio Lamborghini, MJ DeMarco(honorable mention), Pejman Ghadimi from Secret Entourage, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Colonel Sanders etc.

There are so many people though!

notorious

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Dec 29, 2021
Researched this a lot, here's some:

- Jack Warner: born into a poor immigrant family in the Italian ghetto. Started a small theatre, sold it to start a film distribution company with his brothers which grew to become Warner Bros. Owned the Warner Estate where Jeff Bezos now resides.

- Clive Palmer: Australian real estate agent and mining magnate. Grew up middle class and became a billionaire

- Sara Blakely: failed LSAT and became a fax saleswoman, eventually founded Spanx and is now a billionaire

- Glenn Stearns: had a kid when he was like 16 years old, graduated high school lowest of his class and started a Mortgage lending company

- Kirk Kerkorian: started as a military pilot, when he had enough money he started his own small airline which became extremely big.

- John D Rockefeller: started as an assistant bookkeeper, rest is history.

- Laurence Graff: dropped out of school to become an apprentice, founded Graff Diamonds.

- Richard Branson: dropped out of school to start a record store. Eventually started Virgin Records.

- Charlie Mullins: plumber who started Pimlico Plumbers. Grew it to 43 million in annual revenue.

Joejordan95

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Sep 12, 2021
U.K
Hi guys,

Duncan Bannatyne for me. His short auto-biography 'Anyone Can Do it' was probably one of the best books I read

Felix Dennis is another uk entrepreneur I'd recommend afer finding @MJ DeMarco recommended his book on the forum bookstore

Bouncing Soul

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 13, 2014
Biographies are good for motivation, others will give you more than I.

I have read a ton of this stuff over the years and the books I found most valuable coming from a blue collar middle class background were those that helped with mindset and basic financial systems. It’s helpful to have your personal financial act in order before you make it.

These aren’t typically the focus of biographies because the biographers themselves don’t understand it well enough to write about it.

Example, you have to really be paying attention, and know the right questions to ask, to realize one of the most important things to Warren Buffett’s way is he is arguably the best US tax dodger in modern history

Guyfieri5

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Jul 13, 2019
Raleigh, North Carolina
Hi guys,

67.7% of Billionaires were self-made. Some came from poverty. All of them started some sort of business whether it was in tech, finance, food and beverage, pest control, liquor, music, sports, etc. None of them made their vast fortune contributing to a 401k or using compound interest, that's for sure.

My favorite Billionaire is Glenn Stearns from Undercover Billionaire. He'd be a good case study.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.