• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

personal website

Discussion in 'General Entrepreneur Discussion' started by cashisking, Aug 15, 2007.

1. cashisking

cashisking PARKED

Rep Bank:
    $71
    I am pretty new to the website thing, but I would like to start my own personal Website. Any suggestion's on how to build my own site ? thanks.....

4 people like this.
  2. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $388,103
    Admin Post
    When you say "personal" what are you trying to accomplish? Blog? Pics? Gallery? Selling stuff?

Those answers will determine the appropriate tools to use.

2 people like this.
  3. cashisking

cashisking PARKED

Rep Bank:
    $71
    selling stuff

1 person likes this.
  4. rico

rico Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $100
    Nothing wrong with an ebay store for an e-commerce beginner.

Then look for a hosting company that offer a free shopping cart type application that you can easily install. Plenty of tutorials online as to how to set these up.

Then also get a 'web builder' or similar application to build a homepage.

Easy peasy

5. cashisking

cashisking PARKED

Rep Bank:
    $71
    I am looking to build a real esate website to get names of motovated seller's in my area. I would be putting up signs all around town to drive them to the site. Any idea's??? thanks :thankyousign:

6. Peter2

Peter2 Fastane Legend. RIP.

Rep Bank:
    $10,742
    Make sure you check the legality of sign placements before you start.

1 person likes this.
  7. WheelsRCool

WheelsRCool Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $61
    Up here, someone wrote "I love you" (but the love was a heart) on dozens of electric poles up here. The electric company got mad about it too, but they haven't done anything, so now driving along, it's a normal thing to see, "I love you" on all the electric poles.

1 person likes this.
  8. LightHouse

LightHouse Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $30,078
    Being my business, im sure you are talking about coro signs. Make sure if you place them you place them on private property and have permission from the owners. Funny being that companies have their info on the signs ovbiously and put them everywhere then get hit with littering and a variety of other tickets. Not to mention they can get expensive so make sure you have the money to work with.

If would be better to get real signs done and in places that you can have a contract on, prefferibly high traffic.

1 person likes this.
  9. Andrew

Andrew Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $61
    aweber.com will let you place a form on your website to collect name, email address, and other information. Find a really cheap designer on getafreelancer.com or download NVU (nvu.com) and do it yourself. In terms of graphics & design you should not need anything more than the form collection fields and a paragraph or two of words.

Besides this you still need a webhost and domain registrar. For something cheap & with good support try pronetspace.com, you can host and get your domain there; plus, they have pretty good support.

10. aptohosting

aptohosting Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $178

Hey man,

I know a thing or two about websites and creating them :) You will first need a name (domain), then you will need to find a good designer, then you will need to find web hosting, then you will need to publish, your website. If you want more details or help just PM me or email me! tcruz04@gmail.com

11. royemunson

royemunson Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $374
    I agree with the NVU thing for good free design. There are tons of great and inexpensive graphics people out there. Ebay is a good starting point to learn ecommerce and begin finding manufacturers and lerning the ropes, but the key is to move into your own soon.

I have a real estate website - ohiorealestatesolutions.com

used site build it for it. put up forms and without even promoting much get leads.

we may be get a nice referral fee on a 10-16 property deal?? It has worked out nice
    and we get a ton of compliments on it. We are wanting to up our marketing and with
    sbi's features much of the seo and stuff is already taken care of.

I know a lot of peoplee don't like site build it, but it has made my learning curve
    easier and now i'm ready to move into more dynamic type stuff.

just my two cents

Joe

MJ DeMarco likes this.
  12. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $388,103
    Admin Post
    :iagree: In Phx, there are stiff fines for sign postings on street and road ways. Definately do your homework here.

As for your web needs, do a web search on Content Management Systems (CMS's) ... sounds like all you need is a guestbook with the ability to catalogue user names.

Many CMS's are free while some cost.

Here's a sample list:

SubDreamer
    Joomla
    Drupal
    HotBanana :banana:
    ExpressionEngine
    WordPress (more of a blog)
    Serendipity (more of a blog)

CMSMatrix.org has an extensive list with the ability to cross-compare features.

The beauty of CMS systems is that you can have a fully scaleable website online and ready to market without having to hire an expensive programer. The downside is, there are limitations to what you can do. For example, in my business, a CMS would be worthless and a custom solution would only work.

Good luck,
    MJ

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.