The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

One failure after another...but I refuse to quit.

Share your FTE moment...

nadavis

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Oct 13, 2017
Mississippi, USA
Hey everyone. My name is Nick and I’m not broke, jobless or unhappy with my life.

The reason I’m here is because I have been struggling with the next step in my life. I’ve never lacked drive or focus even as a kid. Both of my parents are in the medical profession so I always thought I’d follow in their footsteps. In college I realized I don’t care for medicine so I switched to chemical engineering. I failed my chemical engineering courses so I switched to mechanical engineering.

I graduated with a decent GPA but not good enough in a down economy. I decided I needed some connections and had my fiancé walk out on me so I decided to do something I always wanted to do…I joined the Army. I signed up to join the Mississippi Army National Guard and left for Basic Training. After Basic Training I hopped on a plane to Fort Benning, Georgia to become a commissioned officer (2nd Lieutenant). I branched as an engineering officer.

During my first assignment as a combat engineer platoon leader I met my XO (executive officer) who hired me at a local engineering company. He became my boss. Together, the two of us built up the office into one of the most profitable in the division. However, because he was the boss and I wasn’t, he obtained the accolades and promotions while I fed off the scraps. I’m not complaining though. Atleast I have a job to support my family and it helps to funds my dreams.

Business Endeavor 1 (Concept): Start a company that sells pre-cut, pre-drilled and unfinished wood for easy DIY furniture.

Business Endeavor 1 (Result): FAILURE. Why did it fail? Because the product was too time consuming to manufacture on my own and the profit potential was slim because it took too much time to produce. Also, the product shipping cost too much because of the weight.

Business Endeavor 1 (Lessons Learned): Find something faster to manufacture and lightweight.

Business Endeavor 2 (Concept): Start a company that teaches motorcycle riders how to survive when riding on the streets.

Business Endeavor 2 (Result): FAILURE. Why did it fail? Because the product reach was limited (relatively few motorcycle riders in America compared to other countries) and not scalable without large amounts of capital.

Business Endeavor 2 (Lessons Learned): Find something with more reach. Something that appeals to a wider audience.

Business Endeavor 3 (Concept): Start a company that sells a hot selling niche product (fidget spinners).

Business Endeavor 3 (Result): FAILURE. Why did it fail? I actually found out about this trend BEFORE it become so popular. I identified that it would become hugely popular. I made two mistakes. First, I spent too much time getting the website just right, ordering samples, ect. Second, I didn’t order my products quick enough. By the time I got them, the market was saturated. I keep the unsold spinners in my garage near my door so I have to look at them everyday. They are a reminder to act fast and without hesitation.

Business Endeavor 3 (Lessons Learned): Move with a purpose!!!

Business Endeavor 4 (Concept): Build a BRAND. I have a vision of where I want the company to be, who my target audience is and how to scale it. I am using print on demand services as a starting point but the end result will move past that.

Business Endeavor 4 (Result): Still in the works. I work 8-5, have two kids, come home, workout at 8:30 pm, and work from 9:00 to 1:00 am every night. On the weekends I work a couple hours during the day. It’s an uphill battle and my mind is my own worst enemy.

Business Endeavor 4 (Lessons Learned): Arm yourself with skills first. I am not good as social media, drawing (art), design or marketing. Every night I teach myself a few of these skills and put them to work the rest of the night.

I know that print on demand services is overused but I have identified the weak points in my competitions armor and am currently exploiting it. My sales are slow but I know why that is. I need to convey what my brand is all about but I’m having a hard time showing that via text, images and video. I know I will eventually figure it out but I have a bad habit of comparing myself to the juggernauts in the industry.

I’m looking forward to absorbing as much knowledge as possible from this forum. I don’t lack motivation, drive or need a business plan. I need more knowledge!

All the best,

Nick

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
H

Business Endeavor 1 (Concept): Start a company that sells pre-cut, pre-drilled and unfinished wood for easy DIY furniture.

Business Endeavor 1 (Result): FAILURE. Why did it fail? Because the product was too time consuming to manufacture on my own and the profit potential was slim because it took too much time to produce. Also, the product shipping cost too much because of the weight.

Business Endeavor 1 (Lessons Learned): Find something faster to manufacture and lightweight.

Business Endeavor 2 (Concept): Start a company that teaches motorcycle riders how to survive when riding on the streets.

Business Endeavor 2 (Result): FAILURE. Why did it fail? Because the product reach was limited (relatively few motorcycle riders in America compared to other countries) and not scalable without large amounts of capital.

Business Endeavor 2 (Lessons Learned): Find something with more reach. Something that appeals to a wider audience.

Business Endeavor 3 (Concept): Start a company that sells a hot selling niche product (fidget spinners).

Business Endeavor 3 (Result): FAILURE. Why did it fail? I actually found out about this trend BEFORE it become so popular. I identified that it would become hugely popular. I made two mistakes. First, I spent too much time getting the website just right, ordering samples, ect. Second, I didn’t order my products quick enough. By the time I got them, the market was saturated. I keep the unsold spinners in my garage near my door so I have to look at them everyday. They are a reminder to act fast and without hesitation.

Business Endeavor 3 (Lessons Learned): Move with a purpose!!!

Business Endeavor 4 (Concept): Build a BRAND. I have a vision of where I want the company to be, who my target audience is and how to scale it. I am using print on demand services as a starting point but the end result will move past that.

Business Endeavor 4 (Result): Still in the works. I work 8-5, have two kids, come home, workout at 8:30 pm, and work from 9:00 to 1:00 am every night. On the weekends I work a couple hours during the day. It’s an uphill battle and my mind is my own worst enemy.

Business Endeavor 4 (Lessons Learned): Arm yourself with skills first. I am not good as social media, drawing (art), design or marketing. Every night I teach myself a few of these skills and put them to work the rest of the night.

I know that print on demand services is overused but I have identified the weak points in my competitions armor and am currently exploiting it. My sales are slow but I know why that is. I need to convey what my brand is all about but I’m having a hard time showing that via text, images and video. I know I will eventually figure it out but I have a bad habit of comparing myself to the juggernauts in the industry.

I’m looking forward to absorbing as much knowledge as possible from this forum. I don’t lack motivation, drive or need a business plan. I need more knowledge!

All the best,

Nick

I think your lessons learned are wrong.

Business 1 - Was your product good? Did it save your consumers money because they could DIY the finish?
Business 2 - There are tons of motorcyclists in the USA. You just did not have the skills to reach them.
Business 3 - The lesson is don't build a business on fads. You were chasing money.
Business 4 - You are starting a T-shirt company using POD. Probably not going to work out well.

Lessons Learned 1 - Learn how to reduce costs, automate production, reduce shipping costs.
Lessons Learned 2 - Learn how to market without spending money, use social media
Lessons Learned 3 - Don't chase money
Lessons Learned 4 - Provide value. Putting an image on a t-shirt is not providing value.

nadavis

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Oct 13, 2017
Mississippi, USA

Business 1 - Was your product good? Did it save your consumers money because they could DIY the finish?
Business 2 - There are tons of motorcyclists in the USA. You just did not have the skills to reach them.
Business 3 - The lesson is don't build a business on fads. You were chasing money.
Business 4 - You are starting a T-shirt company using POD. Probably not going to work out well.

Lessons Learned 1 - Learn how to reduce costs, automate production, reduce shipping costs.
Lessons Learned 2 - Learn how to market without spending money, use social media
Lessons Learned 4 - Provide value. Putting an image on a t-shirt is not providing value.

I appreciate the response. Lots of good info. No doubt I’ve made many mistakes and still have much to learn. You’re right about some of the lessons I missed from each failure.

Business 1 - I think the product was good but it didn’t save the customer as much money as I thought it would. I still think this is a good idea and will revisit it in a new direction. I work with CAD every day and can use these skills to deliver DIY solutions that adds value to the less skilled DIY consumer.

I agree with this to an extent. I do not have the skills to reach them. That is true. However motorcyclists tend to frown upon people questioning their skills. I don’t know how to present the information in a way to build trust. Again, I’m at fault here not the product.

This is spot on. Like I said I kept all those spinners as a reminder of my stupidity.

My designs and photography are high quality. I’m building a social media following and attempting to actually build a brand.

Serious question, would it make a difference if I bought a heat press and made the shirts myself? POD allows me to focus on the marketing, designs (I’m not an artist so I have taught myself how to draw and use vector based programs), and selling a lifestyle. Or should I abandon this all together?

nadavis

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Oct 13, 2017
Mississippi, USA
I hope I don’t come off as simply looking for someone to pat my back and tell me I’m well on my way to millions with T-shirt’s.

That’s not how the world works. I know this. But I had two options. I could either sit all day and bounce between the perfect idea all day or I could get off my butt and keep moving forward.

I appreciate the hard truth responses. You’ve got to have thick skin to command a combat arms unit. I can take it guys. Keep them coming.

nadavis

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Oct 13, 2017
Mississippi, USA

This is why I joined this forum. I need to talk my ideas out loud to others to trigger the answers deep in my brain. This comment just gave me the answer to the problem I've been having with this business. Thank you. My wife is a more talented CAD designer than I could ever hope to be. We will get to work on this ASAP.

Laughingman21

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Sep 7, 2015
Have you read the books? None of those businesses seem to meet the CENTS commandments.

nadavis

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Oct 13, 2017
Mississippi, USA
Have you read the books? None of those businesses seem to meet the CENTS commandments.
I have read the books but I can't quote them. Had to look up the CENTS commandments again. That said, I embarked on all these businesses before i found MJs books.

Control - DIY idea V.2 works for this. Current clothing brand does not meet this although there are many options to choose from so if my current POD service shut down I could easily switch to another.

Entry - DIY idea V.2 works for this. Current clothing brand does not meet this at all.

Need - DIY idea V.2 works for this. Current clothing brand does not although that could be said for pretty much any clothing brand. I believe I have value to add to my brand. Still working on figuring out how to show my audience this though. It's a work in progress. Drive on.

Time - Both the DIY and POD services work for this.

Scale - Both the DIY and POD services work for this.

I'm aware the ideas aren't perfect but out of the dozens of ideas I have in my Moleskin those could be worked on immediately. I'm starting to think I missed some important point in the books. Regardless I'll keep moving forward and working off 4 hours of sleep to achieve my goals.

ALC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Jul 19, 2017
France
Creating a clothing brand does meet 3 of 5 commandments, if you're good enough, you create the Need as i'm trying to do.
BUT, the Entry level is way to simple, but you can do it.

I'm myself lost in my decision but as i've always wanted to create this brand, at least for myself, this is it, i'm waiting for samples and i've been lucky enough to get a supplier just 1km from my house, with multi-million machinery.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...