The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

New guy from Portland

Readerly

Yes and
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Sep 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Howdy,

I'm happy to have stumbled on this forum!

How I got here, short version: I was reading Chris Guillebeau's new book Side Hustle. It jogged a memory of an online course I once considered joining--Noah Kagan's "How to Make a $1,000 a Month Business." I Googled it, reacquainted myself with its pitch, then Googled reviews. A discussion on this forum came up on the first results page. I read the reviews (mixed), then found, "How to Learn Code, Start a Web Company, $15k+ per month within 9 months." Great stuff. That, in turn, led me to The Millionaire Fastlane . I read half of it on Kindle last night. More great stuff.

So now I write to introduce myself. I'm forty-eight, live in Portland, Oregon, happily married with one kid, age six. I've had five different "careers" in my working life: in my twenties, I was a network engineer, then an ESL teacher overseas in Europe and Asia, then an academic, then a enterprise software analyst, and now a web developer.

Through it all I've been a Sidewalker and a Slowlaner, as well as an on-again-off-again Wantrapreneur. Yesterday, I made a list of all the hare-brained schemes I've concocted and launched over the years. My first hustle was in Grade Four. A friend of my dad's gave me a case of Pop Rocks. I brought the case to school and sold packets to my classmates at 2 quarters a pop. Pop Rocks were the must-have teeth-rotter of the season. As you can imagine, I made a killing. But then my parents dragged me to an adult party with other kids present. They were always pulling stuff like that. I was bored out of my mind. While poking around the host's bedroom, I found some change under the dresser. I asked if I could keep it. She said yes. Still bored, I looked for other sources of free money. Next to the pile of coats on her bed, I found the host's purse. Her wallet was inside. With my fingertips pinching a dollar bill, she walked in.

The folks were mighty embarrassed. The ride home was pure dread. My punishment: grounded for two weeks. And my pops confiscated the remaining Pop Rocks inventory--and all my earnings.

My relationship to entrepreneurship--and money, for that matter--has been f**cked up ever since.

A list of various hare-brained schemes concocted since then: a resume writing service , a job hunting workbook, a novelty book about swearing in foreign languages, a service sampler promotion company, freelance work as a network administrator, an admin assistant recruitment and training service, a non-destructive examination compliance documentation BBS, a self-help book about excelling at an entry-level tech job, consulting in organizational development, a Star Wars parody call The Empire Menaced, an ESL school in China, a non-profit online college prep school, a collection of creative writing inspired by string theory, a wiki with articles on how popular products are made, a college admissions consultancy, an iOS app to help high school kids prepare for college interviews, a course on popular culture criticism, an iOS and Android app to help drivers study for the DMV written exam, an app that hones critical reading skills, and, currently, a learning management system for driver ed schools.

Most of these ventures never got past the validation phase. With some, I marketed finished products, with few sales. In looking them over now, two things stand out. I failed to base them on solving the problem of an actual prospective customer who was willing to pay for the solution. Most were merely clever ideas, or so I thought, I hoped the world would take a shine to.

In reading The Fastlane Millionaire, one this is crystal clear--I embrace the gospel of the Fastland business. I'm looking to build a system that generates passive income. Yesterday.

Sean Miller

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Andy Daniels

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
May 29, 2017
Oregon
My relationship to entrepreneurship--and money, for that matter--has been f**cked up ever since.

Well it looks like you need to start un-F*cking it! Welcome to the forum, I'm from the Portland area myself, nice to see another Oregonian on here. Also be sure to read MJ's next book, UNSCRIPTED . It dives even deeper, and contains some awesome real-world applications on how to get started.

All the best

Readerly

Yes and
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Sep 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Thanks, Andy. It's next up on the reading queue. I appreciate the real-world example stuff, like the strategy, to offer a service for free at first to establish credibility.

Readerly

Yes and
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Sep 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Well it looks like you need to start un-F*cking it! Welcome to the forum, I'm from the Portland area myself, nice to see another Oregonian on here. Also be sure to read MJ's next book, UNSCRIPTED . It dives even deeper, and contains some awesome real-world applications on how to get started.

All the best

What's your enterprise (or maybe plural), if I may ask?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Readerly

Yes and
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Sep 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
I'm looking to build a cloud-based application for a niche industry, and help solve some customer convenience issues

Similar story on my side. I built a web/mobile app for a niche industry to help companies manage customer interactions. My partner and I had a successful pilot here in Oregon last spring. We got a contract to do a second pilot here in the state next winter. At some point next year we hope to go national. I'm a node.js stack developer. If I may ask, what stack are you thinking about using to build your app? I'm happy to give you another perspective.

Readerly

Yes and
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Sep 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
I'm looking to build the MVP on Podio, then go from there

Had never heard of Podio. So I checked it out. I'm somewhat familiar with Citrix, the parent company. So your plan is to become a Podio "partner," I'm surmising, and use their API to build a custom, niche-specific solution. Improving a targeted workflow efficiency sounds promising...

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...