The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

Need some advice on a site build..

Spikeroo

Contributor
Aug 17, 2011
Merritt Island, Fl
I have a website I'd like to build, however its not a normal eCommerce website. Its more of a networking website that allows a user to create a profile that they can sell a product on. A good example would be Swappa.com. I'm looking to make an exact replica of that site itself. Basically a user can post a product for $200, the site will add an addition $10, and the actual post will have a selling price of $210. The buyer pays $210, the selling gets $200, and the site(me) makes $10. Does anyone know what this method of platform is called? I know how to make simple wix or shopify site, but this is much more advanced. Also, is this something I could implement with wix?

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

404profound

Platinum Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Aug 27, 2017
Desert of Desertion
I have a website I'd like to build, however its not a normal eCommerce website. Its more of a networking website that allows a user to create a profile that they can sell a product on. A good example would be Swappa.com. I'm looking to make an exact replica of that site itself. Basically a user can post a product for $200, the site will add an addition $10, and the actual post will have a selling price of $210. The buyer pays $210, the selling gets $200, and the site(me) makes $10. Does anyone know what this method of platform is called? I know how to make simple wix or shopify site, but this is much more advanced. Also, is this something I could implement with wix?
How much control do you want? The site you describe requires user registration and authentication, a persisted database, payment management, etc. There are plugins for all this, but using a series of plugins for a site of this complexity will get painful quick. If you want to build it yourself, you better start learning JavaScript.

OP
OP
Spikeroo

Spikeroo

Contributor
Aug 17, 2011
Merritt Island, Fl
I figured. I thought its definitely out of my expertise. I wouldn't need to much control. The transaction would be automated. Pretty much like a much much smaller ebay, only a simply $10 rather than 10% of your whole sale.

Charnell

Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Oct 12, 2014
South Dakota
The name you're looking for is multi vendor marketplace.

I have created one with WordPress, however, any out of the box solution is probably going to only include a percentage of sale vendor fee or flat rate fee subtracted from their list price.

OP
OP
Spikeroo

Spikeroo

Contributor
Aug 17, 2011
Merritt Island, Fl
The name you're looking for is multi vendor marketplace.

I have created one with WordPress, however, any out of the box solution is probably going to only include a percentage of sale vendor fee or flat rate fee subtracted from their list price.

OMGGGGGGGGG YOU ARE THE MAN! I looked everywhere trying to find the terminology for it. How difficult/long was it to create with Wordpress? Is it hard to manage?

Charnell

FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Oct 12, 2014
South Dakota
OMGGGGGGGGG YOU ARE THE MAN! I looked everywhere trying to find the terminology for it. How difficult/long was it to create with Wordpress? Is it hard to manage?
It really wasn't difficult to set up, install the plugin and configure it. But I've also messed around with WordPress for a few years now and I remember how lost I was the first time I installed it.

Managing it...instead of trying to manage your own customer service, you manage the customer service for as many vendors as are listed. And if any of them fail to ship because they're on vacation, it's going to reflect on you. I use that example from experience.

OP
OP
Spikeroo

Spikeroo

Contributor
Aug 17, 2011
Merritt Island, Fl
It really wasn't difficult to set up, install the plugin and configure it. But I've also messed around with WordPress for a few years now and I remember how lost I was the first time I installed it.

Managing it...instead of trying to manage your own customer service, you manage the customer service for as many vendors as are listed. And if any of them fail to ship because they're on vacation, it's going to reflect on you. I use that example from experience.

When you say manage your own customer service, do you me I personally hire people or sublet it to another company?

Charnell

FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Oct 12, 2014
South Dakota
When you say manage your own customer service, do you me I personally hire people or sublet it to another company?
I mean anytime someone had an issue with a product, either not shipping or wondering if it'll be restocked, they'll reach out to you as the website owner and not the individual vendor. So you get to play middle man in all aspects.

Sure you can hire it out when you get to that point, it'll take a lot off the workload.

1step

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
Another option instead of building this from scratch or using a plugin would be to go to a theme seller such as ThemeForest (WordPress Themes & Website Templates from ThemeForest) type in Marketplace, multi-vendor marketplace, ebay clone, amazon clone, etc. you will find lots of people selling themes that do what you want. Then you could hire a developer (or learn) and add in any small tweaks you would need.

Ing

New Contributor
Jun 8, 2019
It "...........But I've also messed around with WordPress for a few years now and I remember how lost I was the first time I installed it.
Oh year... Thats , what I am at. I hate it already. Started last week and 3 minutes after registration, I already hated it so much, that I didnt open it again.

I made a hp about 20 years ago and remember it was really easy! Why must everything get hard with the time?

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe to become an INSIDER.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom