The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Let's bring the Book Publishers in the current world

Siloa

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Oct 5, 2017
FRANCE
Hi there,

Now that I read the Millionaire Fastlane , and starting Unscripted , I think I can share with you with more details about an idea that is in my head for months (years?), it is about helping the french book publishers.

That's an idea that comes and goes in my mind for several months (years?) now.
I have a small website I coded 10 years ago that is about writing reviews of books I (and some other people now) read. Publishers give us their latest books for review within a month. I was happy with that, no more money to spend on books, yeah.

Discussing with some of them, I've learn that each publisher handles their book releases induvidually, there is no global database of all books, no global categorization, they still use some old ways of communicating with the press, the distributors, the blogs and so on. Nothing is up to date... you'll find a release date here, another there, without any consistency.
I've thought this through and I would like to change that. There is a B2B thing to do first, working with the publishers, then a potential B2C with the readers.

The final goal is to get the data stored in one place, mine, where I could use it for all the purposes I want.

I've started to contact soome publishers, to see if they are interested. My first doubt is I don't know if I should start coding of proof of concept first or build the requirements with a sample of publishers.
I also know that this sector is in crisis and does not have a lot of money. My platform should help them reduce their costs. I need to figure out their pain points, solve them and sell the platform. What I am worried is that their paint points might be far from the book releases and my goal is to build that giant database of all books...

Let's fill the Fastlane Framework.

Need
I discussed with several interns in publishing houses who told me that there is a lot to do, that this sector is 20 years late, but I will often talk to people not interested, as they are quite "old" and the new generation of publishers is not yet here, and might not arrive before 5 or 10 years.

Entry
The entry cost (not financial) is high. I don't think there are many entrepreneurs involved in that area. Maybe because there is not much money to make... who knows.
In any case, the process to get in is long: Find the pain points, build an app to solve them and create the biggest books database ever, sell it to publishers + distributors, make an app for readers, sell some subscription fees, etc.

Control
I guess I would control everything.

Scalable
Is it scalable? There are a limited number of publishers in France, so I'll reach the limit soon or later. I haven't checked the system abroad, maybe if the platform I want to build is good enough and used by all french publishers, then it could be used by all publishers over the world.
Now my final goal is to reach the readers, and in France they are consequent. Like it's said, 5€ monthly subscription * 5M readers = 25M€... \o/

Time
I need to find the correct way of being paid, but it would be a web platform so yes.

I've asked several people about that idea...
My wife is clearly against that idea, thinking that the current publishers are ok with the way they work now and won't seek for something new/better (bunch of old fellows).
The others think it's a good idea and I should focus on it.
Why did not I pursue this idea farther is because I am afraid of failure. Not the failure itself but the fact that this is my first "consistent" idea in 10 years...

Any feedback is welcome

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

doncruz

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
May 14, 2014
Mexico
"Discussing with some of them, I've learn that each publisher handles their book releases induvidually, there is no global database of all books, no global categorization, they still use some old ways of communicating with the press, the distributors, the blogs and so on. Nothing is up to date... you'll find a release date here, another there, without any consistency."

Did I missed something?
There is no database?

What do you think is the ISBN for?
If its no there itll be on Amazon...

besides, it think you got it all backwards, best opportunities are born out of filling a need/paint point FIRST, then offer a solution through your ideas...

just my two cents...

Last edited:
D

Deleted50669

I've asked several people about that idea...
My wife is clearly against that idea, thinking that the current publishers are ok with the way they work now and won't seek for something new/better (bunch of old fellows).

To your wife's point, there may be a concern about control if you're proposing a publisher hand you the keys to their revenue stream. Depending on how you structure the deal, you may be able to get their buy in.

Siloa

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Oct 5, 2017
FRANCE
"Discussing with some of them, I've learn that each publisher handles their book releases induvidually, there is no global database of all books, no global categorization, they still use some old ways of communicating with the press, the distributors, the blogs and so on. Nothing is up to date... you'll find a release date here, another there, without any consistency."

Did I missed something?
There is no database?

What do you think is the ISBN for?
If its no there itll be on Amazon...

besides, it think you got it all backwards, best opportunities are born out of filling a need/paint point FIRST, then offer a solution through your ideas...

just my two cents...

Hey @doncruz

Thanks for your feedback, it's valuable. What you said about the ISBN is true and I haven't thought about it. I then checked, and it's, indeed, a giant database of all books. It does not do what I exactly want, but it gives me idea.
What I did after creating the topic is to contact several publishers and ask questions and to meet them to discuss about their daily work, and discuss their pain. I'll try to learn a bit more from their job, how publishing works, how the ISBN is generated, etc..

To your wife's point, there may be a concern about control if you're proposing a publisher hand you the keys to their revenue stream. Depending on how you structure the deal, you may be able to get their buy in.

Humm that's very interesting, I did see it like that. But indeed, that could be what she had in mind. Thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.