The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

just some doctor

Learn how to build wealth and win financial freedom the Fastlane way!

Say "NO" to mediocre living rife with jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence. Join more than 70,000 entrepreneurs who are making it happen.
Join for FREE Today
Get the books
Remove ads? Join Fastlane INSIDERS
(Registration removes this block)

schilling0455

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Jun 4, 2022
Most people don't realize that to practice medicine in the US, you not only need to graduate from medical school but also complete a residency program. (The residency program is what you specialize in whether it's family medicine, internal medicine, surgery, etc.) In addition, you need to get a medical license from the medical board of state you want to practice in. And in general, you also need to sit and pass the boards for your specialty so that you can become "board-certified." (These boards are not the same as the general medical boards which you needed to pass in order to graduate medical school and get your license.)

For likely profiteering reasons, this "board-certification" has become a gold standard within the past several decades or so and one cannot find employment if they are not BE/BC (board eligible/board certified). (BE is when someone finished residency but either hasn't taken that final specialty board exam or took it but failed and need to retake it.)

Can you guess where this is leading to? I did the college, the med school, and part of the residency. And then I couldn't take it anymore. How sick the system is, how sick the patients are, how we as doctors really really really suck at helping them because imho, we're just glorified drug dealers.

Anyway, I also got my medical license. My plan was to open a private practice and do cash pay (since many health insurance companies also don't wanna work with us lowly non-board-certified docs). I hopped onto the bandwagon of a physician who promised everyone could open up their dream private practice. It didn't work out for me. Partially because I got in my own way.

Life has been rough. PTSD from medical education and quite likely childhood PTSD as well. I'm intent on that not getting in my way. I'm currently unemployed (again) so my current goal is finding any old job to pay for my bare minimum and for better therapy while figuring out how I can track into the fastlane.

That's it. There's obviously a lot more but just wanted to share the bare bones of what's been going on.

And I swear, MJ's thoughts and ideas have pulled me out of a depressive funk more than once.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

4BOOG

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Dec 8, 2019
Most people don't realize that to practice medicine in the US, you not only need to graduate from medical school but also complete a residency program. (The residency program is what you specialize in whether it's family medicine, internal medicine, surgery, etc.) In addition, you need to get a medical license from the medical board of state you want to practice in. And in general, you also need to sit and pass the boards for your specialty so that you can become "board-certified." (These boards are not the same as the general medical boards which you needed to pass in order to graduate medical school and get your license.)

For likely profiteering reasons, this "board-certification" has become a gold standard within the past several decades or so and one cannot find employment if they are not BE/BC (board eligible/board certified). (BE is when someone finished residency but either hasn't taken that final specialty board exam or took it but failed and need to retake it.)

Can you guess where this is leading to? I did the college, the med school, and part of the residency. And then I couldn't take it anymore. How sick the system is, how sick the patients are, how we as doctors really really really suck at helping them because imho, we're just glorified drug dealers.

Anyway, I also got my medical license. My plan was to open a private practice and do cash pay (since many health insurance companies also don't wanna work with us lowly non-board-certified docs). I hopped onto the bandwagon of a physician who promised everyone could open up their dream private practice. It didn't work out for me. Partially because I got in my own way.

Life has been rough. PTSD from medical education and quite likely childhood PTSD as well. I'm intent on that not getting in my way. I'm currently unemployed (again) so my current goal is finding any old job to pay for my bare minimum and for better therapy while figuring out how I can track into the fastlane.

That's it. There's obviously a lot more but just wanted to share the bare bones of what's been going on.

And I swear, MJ's thoughts and ideas have pulled me out of a depressive funk more than once.
I am dating a young lady in the process of taking her MCAT and trying to get into Med school. I appreciate you sharing this and being so open. I wish you the best in all your future endeavors!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Welcome abound, sorry to hear about the medical journey which sounds more like a racket than a profession. Glad my work has been a small piece in some solace.

schilling0455

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Jun 4, 2022
Just finished reading Millionaire Fastlane . Been meaning to read it since about 2020 when I first heard of it and glad I finally got to it--thank you to my most recent employer for force-resigning/terminating me.

The specific example about lead generation for plastic surgery offices really struck me. I never really thought about medical practices having difficulty getting patients, especially since they're usually listed on insurance panels, google, and whatnot. I know that if I were to (and when I did try to) have my own private practice doing cash-pay only, it's definitely harder to get patients since they're used to the traditional model with insurance and co-pays. I also didn't know how to sell myself and help them see that they'd actually get a full hour of me, less interrupting, more listening, and so forth.

Mind is opening up again...

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

saint_kilda

New Contributor
May 12, 2020
Australia
Sounds rough and it's so unfortunate that the medical system in the US treats their doctors so poorly compared to other countries. Seems like you're picking yourself back up and you'll get to where you wanna go in no time!

NeoDialectic

Successfully Exited the Rat Race
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Feb 11, 2022
Phoenix, az

On the bright side, your education and your possible future employment as doctor opens many doors to great entrepreneur opportunities that others don't have. Your job as a fastlane disciple is now to think about how to apply MJ's principles and leverage your situation to maximize your chances of success.

You can do it!

Sounds rough and it's so unfortunate that the medical system in the US treats their doctors so poorly compared to other countries. Seems like you're picking yourself back up and you'll get to where you wanna go in no time!
That's an interesting take. Just like with many other parts of the USA economy, the model the USA chooses may have disadvantages but one of the advantages is the doctors that make it end up making alot more than these other countries that you claim are treating doctors better. Are there trade off's? Yea. But it may be a bit myopic to say with a blanket statement that doctors in the USA are treated poorly compared to other countries.

Just my 2c

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...

Must Read Books...

Explore books recommended by MJ DeMarco and other members of the Fastlane entrepreneurial community.
Fastlane Bookstore