The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Journey is starting now ... or has it already ?

Hitso

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Nov 12, 2019
France
Many things come across my mind while I'm trying to figure out how to put this altogether...

From the beginning : just a young boy about to hit quarter century, dreaming about traveling all around the world.
I just finished reading TMF two days ago and saw that this forum was mentioned multiple times in it so I've decided to give it a try and see what I could learn from it.

Took me some time (and will certainly took a lot later on) to read some of the GOLD/NOTABLE threads here as advised in the welcoming mail but also by many many users here. After finishing the book, I was filled with this incredible feeling, the one which makes you feel like you're ready and able to go out and climb to the top of the world (hmm same feeling as if I drank a cup of strong coffee actually :D). I've always had this adrenalin boost when I thought of what I wanted to accomplish ...

Reading the threads one after another, I feel like I need to work on my mindset as it is my strongest but also deadliest tool I own.
Seeing all those success stories infuse motivation but also fear in my mind, and the more I read, the more fear takes the advantage over the tremendous motivation those stories provide me with... Is this what I should feel ? I'm not really sure...

After disastrous (mainly due to my lazyness) internships as a web developper, I decided to work as a functional consultant and I have to say, I had no interest in it. Sure it seemed easy, learning how to do task A, which process to execute for task B, where to find information C ... I didn't have a clue on where I was heading to (maybe it's a common point for new employees ?). I did quite well though for my level, people recognizes my 'talent' (which they attribute to "fast learning" - coming back to this later - and quick adaptation).

And here comes the time I tried to negotiate for a raise. Slowlane mentality since forever : I had basically no argument except that I was doing good and people around me (including in other companies) were paid more. At this point, I remember that I didn't stop complaining, whether when I was with my colleagues or in my head (yeah, tending to overthink makes you talk with yourself and imagine infinite non-existing situations ...) and it was at this moment I realized I didn't want to work for anyone anymore : why should I sacrifice 10 hrs/day, cleaning all the s**t people did before I came, taking slaps and punches from the client, not getting a raise but only applause when high ranked people talk about our work ... ; simplified to "I want to be my boss" even though I'll be working for the customers.

Stayed at my job 2 years and quit few months ago as I planned to do a world tour (which begins in a month from now !). Ever since I stopped, I feel lighter and didn't worry about the morning clock, the deadlines, the stress of the morning and evening commutes ... My brain just switched on leaving the house, switched off when coming back. No desire for improving myself at all (only playing games, watching YT videos..).

Now I want to come back to the "fast learning ability" my boss and colleagues thought I have :
I've always had it easy. Parents are not rich but I couldn't complain as I had food, bed, games (TV/Computer). In school, until ~12/13 y.o (7th grade ? not sure about the conversion as it's different here), I was top 1 in grades (not relevant hehe but I thought I was a genius as I played video games all day). From then until university, my grades eventually got worse (in comparison, it's like getting from A+/A to B+/B) but were still decent. I then got myself a diploma in computer programming and then an engineering degree (IT). During all those years, I've had it easy and even after beginning to work, it didn't change.

Thinking about it now, I'm not even sure how to learn anymore. I constantly tend to memorize by heart and it helps most of the time because I always tend to analyze anything but not going deep enough to solve hard problems.

Well if I keep going like this, I might as well publish a book on my thoughts (as I tend to overthink, it sometimes is a mess if I try to transpose everything in text)

Anyways, I'll be heading to get myself a copy of Unscripted in a book store by tomorrow. I could save some time by ordering it online but I've got some coupons (got them after leaving the company as gifts so got to spend them somewhere before expiration !) and might aswell do some important stuff outside.

To end this intro, I'm getting myself into web development (again, I learned it during my studies but I just gave up after starting my previous job) and thinking about doing some stuff during my travel. Planning to get myself a small pc to keep coding but not sure how much I should invest in it (got myself a little more than 200 bucks in coupons and could provide as much to complete). Any idea would be welcomed !

If you took the time to read all of this, I'd like to thank you and hope the best for you.

No time to waste now, I'll get started on the courses and keep reading others posts and hopefully get my brain to work efficiently again !

Wil

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...