The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is being a Yoga Teacher fastlane?

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

sa_ill

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Feb 10, 2020
Here's my deal:
Trying to build 2 brands in my country related to Trash Bags.
It's a highly competitive field but we are striving to differentiate our product. Our country lacks a "well known" trash bag brand so there is definitely a void we can fill.

While I'm working on building my business, I have a couple more things in mind:

I learnt two forms of yoga couple of years back and have been maintaining a disciplined practice a minimum of 5 days a week. So I have been self practising since 4-5 years. I enjoy it a lot and would definitely love to spread the message.
The yogi life-style (no drugs, alcohol, waking up early, eating clean etc.) appeals to me a lot, I want to be connected with it for my lifetime. And I've become pretty good at the postures and my understanding of the body. Fortunately, I belong to a country that gave birth to yoga, so I have great options to do a Teacher Training course with great flexibility from Government recognised institutes at throwaway prices. (A 1 year internationally recognised diploma with classes twice a week costs about $150).

My idea is that since I am practicing every morning, why not start teaching every morning. I will only teach to people interested within a 5-10km radius of where I live. Also, I might get an opportunity to brand myself and host yearly/bi-yearly retreats.

My question is:
Being a Yoga Teacher and an Entrepreneur, will it help to get me into the Fastlane?

My background:
I'm pretty much a sidewalker for now. Had a flourishing vaping business (one of the biggest in my country) for 2 years, till our Government banned it nationally. Within the first year we had sold products worth $200,000, the second year we were on another level. I made a lot of money in those 2 years, but then lost some money because after the ban the Customs confiscated my uncleared goods. Then I went through a breakup and my life slid down. I was addicted to pot and poker. Lost almost all my savings in poker. Since then, I have joined my really old and well established family business and am applying TMF concepts to it (building a brand, solid execution). I also run a gaming blog that makes me momentary income. I just started a podcast too.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
With your background, I am surprised at your question.

Yoga is time sensitive - can't scale - and requires you to be involved to create income. These are all qualities of a job - not a fastlane pursuit.

However, with you past success, I'm sure you can adapt to something that can scale. Yoga videos? Yoga clothing? If it makes money while you sleep it's a candidate for fastlane. But why am I telling you that - you have done it.

Personally, I think yoga is too niche. Expand your goals to a bigger audience. For example - sell a yoga mat - and then it's just a side step to sell pet beds. Then you could have two audiences to sell to. Think big.

Benedict

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Nov 16, 2019
Being is not Doing.

It depends on what you DO with your skills as a Yoga Teacher.

Do private classes
Do hobby classes for moms
Do inhouse stress-reliev training for businesses
Do start an business that helps others practice yoga them selves
Do start a training business for people who want to become yoga techers
Do help Yoga teachers start their own yoga classes
Do train people to do inhouses stress-reliev trainings for you in businesses
Do use your Yoga skills to have a strong foundation in "groundedness"/stress-management - that is an excellent skill you need to develop as an entrepreneur/business owner/... - use this core value to create something totally different, like a fastlane business.

Being a yoga techer doesn't get you anywhere. It is what you do with those skills. And in my opinion you got a good set of tools matching current values in society + you can use that set of tools to take care of yourself while going fastlane.

sa_ill

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Feb 10, 2020
Being is not Doing.

It depends on what you DO with your skills as a Yoga Teacher.

I like this perspective. Thanks. From the excellent cohesive list that you have shared, here is what I plan:

Do private classes: Not in particular, no.
Do hobby classes for moms: Nope
Do inhouse stress-reliev training for businesses: Yes. Maybe at the maximum about one customer (company) a month. Its a solid networking opportunity too.
Do start an business that helps others practice yoga them selves: THIS NAILED IT. This is what I want to do. And this is exactly how I got started with yoga. I was taught in a way and a process that I had to practice myself to grow. I intend to spend my mornings this way, teaching so that others can start to practice themselves because that is when one can grow.
Do start a training business for people who want to become yoga teachers: If I built a roadmap, this would probably be one of my milestones. I havent given a thought to this, but I think this will take a lot of my time if I start with this. It would nice to work to build an excellent school for yoga teachers, and involve oneself in spreading the message. But before that I would like to achieve my fastlane goals. When I become like MJ then I can probably immerse myself in such pursuits/passions. :cool:

There are other scenarios that I am looking at:
Host yearly/bi-yearly retreats: These are 6-10 day retreats, in other cities/countries (like Bali, beside the Ganga, the Himalayas etc.)
Promote and sell products: The yoga accessory market is saturated. But, my sister started a homemade coconut milk business which has found some good initial success, especially among gym goers and yoga institutes, so there are many ways in which we can leverage from both sides. We can replicate this for other products too.
Open an institute for yoga: Eventually it is my dream to open up a school for children. I think our current education system is terrible.

Along with this, I will continue the things I'm working on:
Building my current business
Podcasting
Seek new opportunities
I am also skilled in Amazon Listing, Wordpress Developement and Graphic Design. I have started looking for my first "official" client.

What do you think? Is fastlane possible?

Last edited:

sa_ill

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Feb 10, 2020
With your background, I am surprised at your question.

Yoga is time sensitive - can't scale - and requires you to be involved to create income. These are all qualities of a job - not a fastlane pursuit.

However, with you past success, I'm sure you can adapt to something that can scale. Yoga videos? Yoga clothing? If it makes money while you sleep it's a candidate for fastlane. But why am I telling you that - you have done it.

Personally, I think yoga is too niche. Expand your goals to a bigger audience. For example - sell a yoga mat - and then it's just a side step to sell pet beds. Then you could have two audiences to sell to. Think big.

I'm under the impression that yoga clothing and yoga mat market is saturated but I might be wrong.

I do not think yoga is a niche. I look at it as a way of life which includes when you sleep and when you wake up, what you wear, what you eat, basically how you live the "satvik" way. I think every human should implement some of those aspects in their lives.

When it comes to products, there are many possibilities:
Yoga Accessories (mats, clothes etc.)
Organic Food
Ayurvedic Medicine (my course will include Ayurveda)

Entre Eyes

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Sep 7, 2019
Traveling to Higher Conciousness
Huge and lucrative. But you have to go Video now for obvious reasons.

Of course you can scale there are thousands of ways.

I know a guy who went to China and had Yoga mats made with manufacturer and went Fastlane on Amazon just from that. 7 figures ONE YEAR. I guess timing is everything on that Trip to China tho.

Last edited:

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Anything is Fastlane with a right attitude.

Think the Yoga teacher that teaches a class to 20,000 paying students via a livestream.

SEBASTlAN

Marketing Wizard
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Dec 22, 2014
Los Angeles
Here's my deal:
It's a highly competitive field but we are striving to differentiate our product. Our country lacks a "well known" trash bag brand so there is definitely a void we can fill.

I learnt two forms of yoga couple of years back and have been maintaining a disciplined practice a minimum of 5 days a week. So I have been self practising since 4-5 years. I enjoy it a lot and would definitely love to spread the message.
The yogi life-style (no drugs, alcohol, waking up early, eating clean etc.) appeals to me a lot, I want to be connected with it for my lifetime. And I've become pretty good at the postures and my understanding of the body. Fortunately, I belong to a country that gave birth to yoga, so I have great options to do a Teacher Training course with great flexibility from Government recognised institutes at throwaway prices. (A 1 year internationally recognised diploma with classes twice a week costs about $150).

My idea is that since I am practicing every morning, why not start teaching every morning. I will only teach to people interested within a 5-10km radius of where I live. Also, I might get an opportunity to brand myself and host yearly/bi-yearly retreats.

My question is:
Being a Yoga Teacher and an Entrepreneur, will it help to get me into the Fastlane?

My background:
I'm pretty much a sidewalker for now. Had a flourishing vaping business (one of the biggest in my country) for 2 years, till our Government banned it nationally. Within the first year we had sold products worth $200,000, the second year we were on another level. I made a lot of money in those 2 years, but then lost some money because after the ban the Customs confiscated my uncleared goods. Then I went through a breakup and my life slid down. I was addicted to pot and poker. Lost almost all my savings in poker. Since then, I have joined my really old and well established family business and am applying TMF concepts to it (building a brand, solid execution). I also run a gaming blog that makes me momentary income. I just started a podcast too.

sa_ill

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Feb 10, 2020
Duly noted. Today I have started to re-read TMF (before I move to Unscripted ) just because of this post. Thanks!

gryfny

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jun 11, 2019
Europe
There are a lot of people right now who can't go to yoga classes, because of the corona virus. So there might be a spike in the interest for yoga videos to practice at home.
On youtube, I notice most videos are quite short. Could there be a demand for full length classes that isn't fulfilled?

Ved Vardhan

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Mar 9, 2020
Global Citizen
Yoga is definitely needed for students,adults,office drones coping with problems,anxiety,tension of daily life. It can be turned into fas-tlane . However dont teach in 5-10 KM areas you live in . Try to reach more audience .

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
How do you intend to (S)cale your business? Online classes? Video instructions? Books? Your income will be limited if the number of people you can help is limited. Somewhere MJ said, "Impact millions". That says a lot.

BigRomeDawg

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
223%
Jan 22, 2014
Canada/USA
Fastlane Yoga examples:

Alo Moves. Massive yoga app. I would argue that other than lack of control over the platform, the yogis on there are pretty fastlane.. I wonder if they get paid percentage, or royalty, or salary. Probably the formers.

ROMWOD, not quite yoga, but same idea. They've created a really strong brand that transcends their video subscriptions, they basically tied themselves into the Crossfit culture, and sell products.

Yoga with Adrienne on YouTube. 6m+ subs. Might be a millionaire on adsense alone but also funnels traffic to subscriptions & courses.

JohanXV

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Oct 26, 2020
To become a teacher you must be perfect in yoga. Indeed, it must take a lot of time to get a good level.

JohanXV

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Oct 26, 2020
To become a teacher, you must be perfect in yoga. It will take a lot of time to get a good level. To tell the truth, yoga is a long, difficult way of self-knowledge and development. It can't be achieved in a month it is a philosophy and practice that come to you with time. Try to start your way from learning information about yoga in broadening your horizons A Complete Guide to Chakra Symbols and Their Meaning. I'm sure this will inspire you.

Last edited:

GatsbyMag

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 20, 2016
I'm surprised no one has shared more critical feedback. So I'll play devil's advocate.

Overall I think you need to re-read MJ's book x3 more times.

Here are red flags:

1. You say that you want to start a trash bag brand - maybe you live in a vastly different society than I do (probably the case), but why does anyone need a trash bag brand? Like what does it do? What's the point of a trash bag brand? Why would anyone care? Now that I think of it, there may be an opportunity to make eco-friendly trash bags, but you weren't really clear

2. You say that you want to build a business from Yoga because you enjoy it. This reminds me of MJ's story of the personal trainer (it's in the book) wanting to start their own personal training businesses. Also, if you live in the country that founded Yoga, wouldn't the competition be incredibly high?

Overall this is not aimed at you personally as an insult, you've built a more successful business than I have with your vape brand. All I'm saying is that maybe you should re-examine the success you've had with your previous business and apply the same principles to your next business.

But idk, I could be 100% wrong, just my opinion.

Beebop27

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Jun 22, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Here's my deal:

My question is:

My background:
Only if you put it online in some form, whether it be a course or on youtube. That way its scalable and not using your time.

Look at what Tony Horton did with p90x

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Of course you can scale there are thousands of ways.

I know a guy who went to China and had Yoga mats made with manufacturer and went Fastlane on Amazon just from that. 7 figures ONE YEAR. I guess timing is everything on that Trip to China tho.

Some gems from this wonderful podcast:

Ryan: .........a lot of people say go after where there’s little competition, I said no I want to go after like the biggest volume. And I’ve stuck with that perspective in my career and it’s treated me well. Where is the most volume, and it’s a lot easier to get the small piece of a big pie and grow from there, than to try and get a big pie or a big piece of a little pie.

I believe very strongly in having an audience that you can launch something to. I learned this in my information marketing days where if you have an audience, if you have a channel and I keep using that word, if you have a way to distribute your product out you’ll be way ahead of the competition. So we decided to build up an audience in the easiest and fastest way possible and that was just putting up some– a page on Facebook called I love yoga. We thought let’s get all the yoga people concentrated in one place and we’ll launch to that audience. So we just put up ads to people who listed yoga as one of their interests, sent them to a page called I love yoga, where we had images of people doing yoga, we had memes and videos and inspirational videos that were all about yoga that we knew people would love, and we just got people engaged in this one place.

Ryan: And we did a bunch of research in the Amazon’s algorithm and broke it down as detailed as we possibly could be which drove me crazy, and what me big thinker came in and focused on one thing– came in and realized was that if we focused on one specific thing that we drove home, it would pull up everything else and that one thing was reviews.

Ryan: That’s actually what kicked off the idea to do this launch and this giveaway and this contest was I realized that there was a chicken egg issue, that Amazon’s algorithm needs reviews, it needs sales, but it’s hard to get sales about reviews, but it’s also hard to get– shoot which one did I say first. It’s hard to get one before the other– there’s was chicken egg issue here.

Ryan: So I said okay let’s be really aggressive with our review getting process, let’s go in the red if we have to in order to give product away in order to collect a certain amount of reviews, and let’s get really good at that one thing and that will pull up everything else.

......because once we had 30-50 positive reviews about our product, then other people started buying it and it was a snowball

Anytime someone complains about anything, we just let them keep the product and we also give them a full refund. And that immediately disarms them, especially when they call us really angry, as soon as we mention that you just keep the product we’ll give you a full refund, they instantly become nice and sometimes they become raving fans[/quote]

The only thing I don't understand in that podcast is, how does he give away the mats for free on Amazon and still get people to leave reviews on Amazon? LOL Does Amazon allow you to set a $0.00 price? Or did he ask people to buy from Amazon, then refund them the money and they then leave reviews on the site? LOL

Also, I can't find his store ZenActiveSports online or on Amazon. I assume it has closed down. Maybe that article was in 2013 when ecom on Amazon was on fire.....

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.