The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

Illegal zippers

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

active employ

Bronze Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jun 14, 2015
What would you do if you owned a domain potentially worth a lot of money, but the product of the domain isn't legal in your state?

In other words let's say you owned zippers.com but for dumb reasons zippers are illegal in your state?

That's the situation I'm currently in.
Wondering if it's worth just moving, renting the domain, or what the next steps should be. I popped into a discord server and someone tried to keylog my machine to steal it so I think im onto something..just need to plan accordingly.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Ocean Man

I build software solutions
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Sep 26, 2018
United States
Well are you planning to sell in your state or is your goal to sell the domain? Owning a domain doesn't mean anything if you don't do anything with it.

inputchip

Gold Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Mar 26, 2017
Calgary, AB
The beautiful thing about the internet is that it doesn't have any locale boundaries. Is the product legal in other states? Or even in other countries? Unless your domain is tied with a keyword directly to your state, you should have no problem selling elsewhere.

active employ

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jun 14, 2015
The beautiful thing about the internet is that it doesn't have any locale boundaries. Is the product legal in other states?

Yes it is. I'm considering renting the domain out, but if I do so want to ensure I don't lose access to it and I'm not certain how to do this. some people are interested in buying the domain but no chance that's happening.

places like escrow want to control it

When we receive the first payment, Escrow.com prompts the Seller to transfer the domain(s) to our account.

Last edited:

WolfNinjaUK

New Contributor
Feb 16, 2015
Yes it is. I'm considering renting the domain out, but if I do so want to ensure I don't lose access to it and I'm not certain how to do this. some people are interested in buying the domain but no chance that's happening.

places like escrow want to control it

When we receive the first payment, Escrow.com prompts the Seller to transfer the domain(s) to our account.
escrow is legit i wouldnt be too concerned about that. they dont get the domain until you are paid and happy. if i recall right to rent the domain you just point your domain control panel DNS to their hosting. the second they stop paying you change the dns and their content is no longer seen on your site. simples.

Ing

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
Make a tiktok succession on this domain!

Last edited:

active employ

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jun 14, 2015
Make a tiktok succession on this domain!

I think I'lll pass on that. Unless you own it I don't see that app useful for any reason.

Last edited:

Boychamp

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jun 13, 2019
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Here's another idea that hasn't been thrown in the ring:
I'm kind of assuming you want to keep the domain so you can use it for your own biz? Or maybe you're holding on to it to sell at an even higher price later on - in which case renting it out is the better option as you make money in the meantime and much easier.
BUT
my idea is if you eventually want to build it into a business that sells said currently illegal product, why not create a content site based around it? You'll learn a ton + you'll be building an audience for when legalization happens and you can sell your product. And in the meantime, I'm sure you can earn affiliate comish mish off the backend of building an audience.

Here's a link to an interesting article written by the founder of ConvertKit about how he (and many others) started the same way:

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Sponsored Offers

FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
Hi Mj, I just bought it. And reading it. I think is a great idea to write using the stories to...
MARKETPLACE Fox Web School "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2020
Great post @Fox, very much appreciated! How can I reach out to you? I sent you a PM a while...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
Hey @Lex DeVille ! Having some issues with the NOREGRETS code? Udemy thinks it has expired...
MARKETPLACE Grow Your Business With a Book (An Unorthodox Marketing Strategy That Built One of the Largest...
Are you looking for a new, lesser-known but potentially very lucrative source of leads to your...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Just got off the phone with @LightHouse. Having just a 45 minute conversation with him has...
MARKETPLACE Kill Bigger Incubator
@Kak Thanks for the reply. Whats interesting is that I have an idea that's been cooking which...

Forum Sponsor

sponsor

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom