The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Registration at the forum removes this block.

I need to leave the womb.

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

whiz

Silver Contributor
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
Nov 29, 2017
New Jersey
Hi. First things first: thanks to MJ and everyone else that have put their blood, sweat, and tears into this forum. I love this place and will read FLF until some of us are so old that there are posts about diaper recommendations. Now, to the issue at hand:

I am with a great girl. Been with her for over three years. I can get anything I want at any time. She is the embodiment of comfort. The nest, the womb; whatever you want to symbolize it with.

And that's the issue. I feel that every second I am with her is stolen from my self-development timeline. I truly enjoy being with her, but I am NOT happy as a person. There are some days where I am miserable, and then I get a hit of my dope (her) and forget about it for a night. I drink with her or we go somewhere and have a good time... we F*ck, we sleep in, and I'll leave and just be right back to where I was. Not taking action. Being stuck in limbo.

I understand this is NOT her issue but mine. But I feel like she assumes the role of an enabler. I feel like I have tainted our relationship by being emotionally dependent.

How can a relationship between two people be pure when there is dependence? If I can’t stand on my own, instead of learning, I grab a leg from another. Seems like a cop out, and it makes me wonder if this is what the majority of the married/nested population is founded on. Co-dependency.

Anyway, last time I posted, people brought up the point that I’m using her as a cop out for my own issues of inaction.

I understand that this IS the case. But I also do think there is truth that this relationship is enabling me.

I don’t enjoy the current state of my life and I need major change. But this relationship tricks my brain into getting enough “feel-good drugs” to keep me at bay. It’s like I’m getting just enough sun to maintain life but I’m not growing.

There is a great story of a shop owner that has a dog on the porch of his shop. The dog occassionally yelps out in pain and whines.

A customer asks “Why is the dog always yelping?”

The shop owner says “There’s a darn nail under him, right where he likes to lay”

“Well, why doesn’t he move?”, the customer asks.

The shop owner replies “Well, I guess it just don’t hurt bad enough.”

I feel like I am that dog. Suspended in space and time through the constructs and support that I allowed to hold up my ego.

So my questions for you guys:

1. I obviously need to end this relationship, correct? My thoughts around it just don’t seem healthy. I don’t like thinking like this.
  2. How do I go about it? She has never wronged me. I respect her as a person and she respects me. Do I do the car talk? Do I wait until after X-Mas?
Thanks guys.

-whiz

EDIT: I think I either read about the dog story in TMF or someone here on FLF. 99% sure. Not trying to plagiarize! Sorry if I stole your work. It's just a great story that describes my life perfectly right now.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Tim Allen Jr.

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Jul 6, 2017
virginia
Playing devil's advocate here. Who is to say she's the problem? Because it really doesn't seem like she is. Seems like your comfortability is all you.

Here's another story.

There was a man who had such an important task to do. He was obsessed about getting this task done. But before he could full dedicate himself to that task he had to.....

Clean the house.... cus you can't start an important task with a dirty house.
He had to get groceries... cus what happens if you're doing the important task and you get hungry.
He had to get a new computer.... cus you can't do an important task on old shit.....
Had to find the perfect time to do something.... cus you can't do something when it's not the perfect time...

Question you gotta ask yourself is she really the problem or just another hurdle you're putting in front of yourself to not get started?

Also, she's not controlling your thoughts, you are.

D

Deleted50669

Hi. First things first: thanks to MJ and everyone else that have put their blood, sweat, and tears into this forum. I love this place and will read FLF until some of us are so old that there are posts about diaper recommendations. Now, to the issue at hand:

I am with a great girl. Been with her for over three years. I can get anything I want at any time. She is the embodiment of comfort. The nest, the womb; whatever you want to symbolize it with.

And that's the issue. I feel that every second I am with her is stolen from my self-development timeline. I truly enjoy being with her, but I am NOT happy as a person. There are some days where I am miserable, and then I get a hit of my dope (her) and forget about it for a night. I drink with her or we go somewhere and have a good time... we F*ck, we sleep in, and I'll leave and just be right back to where I was. Not taking action. Being stuck in limbo.

I understand this is NOT her issue but mine. But I feel like she assumes the role of an enabler. I feel like I have tainted our relationship by being emotionally dependent.

How can a relationship between two people be pure when there is dependence? If I can’t stand on my own, instead of learning, I grab a leg from another. Seems like a cop out, and it makes me wonder if this is what the majority of the married/nested population is founded on. Co-dependency.

Anyway, last time I posted, people brought up the point that I’m using her as a cop out for my own issues of inaction.

I understand that this IS the case. But I also do think there is truth that this relationship is enabling me.

I don’t enjoy the current state of my life and I need major change. But this relationship tricks my brain into getting enough “feel-good drugs” to keep me at bay. It’s like I’m getting just enough sun to maintain life but I’m not growing.

There is a great story of a shop owner that has a dog on the porch of his shop. The dog occassionally yelps out in pain and whines.

A customer asks “Why is the dog always yelping?”

The shop owner says “There’s a darn nail under him, right where he likes to lay”

“Well, why doesn’t he move?”, the customer asks.

The shop owner replies “Well, I guess it just don’t hurt bad enough.”

I feel like I am that dog. Suspended in space and time through the constructs and support that I allowed to hold up my ego.

So my questions for you guys:

1. I obviously need to end this relationship, correct? My thoughts around it just don’t seem healthy. I don’t like thinking like this.
  2. How do I go about it? She has never wronged me. I respect her as a person and she respects me. Do I do the car talk? Do I wait until after X-Mas?
Thanks guys.

-whiz

EDIT: I think I either read about the dog story in TMF or someone here on FLF. 99% sure. Not trying to plagiarize! Sorry if I stole your work. It's just a great story that describes my life perfectly right now.

So,

As a vested student of psychology this sounds to me like a scenario that would benefit from referencing Mazlow's Hierarchy of needs. Here's a link for reference:

https://www.simplypsychology.org/maslow.jpg

If you're unfamiliar with this, the idea is you start at the bottom, and then your base needs are satisfied you crawl up the pyramid, striving to satisfy each subsequent level. Your girlfriend fulfills the safety, belongingness, and love needs (and to some extent, probably esteem). But you will not self-actualize if you do not recognize and treat self-actualization as a need.

As far as a strategy, it sounds to me like communication is key. She may not even know what you just described to us. And if she doesn't know, she won't have awareness of a need for change. Communication is taken for granted often, but it is the more common root cause of social entropy. If she's as awesome as you describe, she will seek to better understand this calling you have, and at least respect your need for space to operate (and perhaps even collaborate, I've met successful entrepreneurial couples).

That's my two cents,
Cheers

Become a Fastlane Member Today to Read More or Comment.

This thread has
more posts!

Join MJ DeMarco's Inner Circle and Rub Shoulders with Other Millionaire Entrepreneurs

Imagine a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been the driving force of Fastlane, contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With over 38,000 posts game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve freedom. Join 90,000+ members and access a vast library of 1,000,000+ posts from entrepreneurs worldwide.

Fastlane isn’t just another community led by an absent guru. By joining, you enter MJ’s inner circle—a supportive home where you’re never alone. Embrace true mentorship and transform your entrepreneurial journey with the Fastlane Forum.

Basic Membership (Monthly)

• Read all threads in the main forums/categories.
  • Post comments in existing topics.
  • React to any comment/post.
  • Sort big threads by best posts.
  • Cancel anytime

$5 per month

Join Now

Basic Membership (Yearly)

• Save 22% vs monthly
  • Read all threads in the main forums/categories.
  • Post comments in existing topics.
  • React to any comment/post.
  • Sort big threads by best posts.
  • 30% Off a Yearly GoalSumo.com Subscription
  • Cancel anytime

$47 per year

Join Now

VIP Insider Membership

• Same as basic plus...
  • Guaranteed read and response from MJ DeMarco*
  • Access to the private Insider forum for more advanced users.
  • Bookmark any posts
  • No non-sponsor ads
  • 50% Off a Yearly GoalSumo.com Subscription ($34 Value)

$119.88 per year

Join Now

* If you post any question or problem within the INSIDER forum, this guarantees MJ will read and respond to your post to the best of his ability at least one time. This guarantee does not imply a lifetime dialogue or a personal ongoing mentorship. Again, MJ has authored more than 38,000 responses at this forum since 2007.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.